Unborn Victims of Violence Act

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Laci and Conner's Law

An except...

Quote:

The bill, also known as "Laci and Conner's Law" after California murder victim Laci Petersen and her unborn son, had widespread public support: over 80 percent of Americans agree that if a pregnant woman is murdered or loses the child as a result of an assault, prosecutors should be able to bring separate murder charges for the death of the fetus.

When women's rights and prochoice groups opposed the law on the grounds that it would undermine the right to abortion (even though abortion is specifically exempted by the bill), their stance not only came across as callous but made them look like extreme ideological zealots.

My question is how anyone could have a problem with this bill. It specifically exempts abortion and obviously seeks to maximize the ability to prosecute those who have severely beaten or possibly killed women.

Yet it still only got 61 votes in the Senate.

Is the anti-abortion paranoia justified?

Two cents please...

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Pro-abortion people should like this law. After all it's a woman's right to choose. If some criminal ends her pregnacny against her will then the right to choose has be violated. Those people should be punished.
  • Reply 2 of 98
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    This makes me want to hit a pregnant woman in the uterus with a sledge hammer.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Arguing against this bill seems callous to me. I'm not sure what pro-life folks are worried about. A woman has a choice in an abortion situation, but does not in a murder situation. Seems seperated enough to me.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Nice.

Normally off hand garbage comments don't bother me. But when I have a 32 week pregnant wife at home that kinda shit rubs me the wrong way. Ya know that hole you put pie in? Shut it.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

My question is how anyone could have a problem with this bill. It specifically exempts abortion and obviously seeks to maximize the ability to prosecute those who have severely beaten or possibly killed women.

What is: "because they are clueless".

• Reply 6 of 98
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    This is the inevitable march of history---towards freedom:

Slavery---human beings only worth a fraction of others, women forced to endure castration, factory farms with animals kept in cages so small that they can't turn around, and now finally unborn kids get protection from one form of murder.

It's a good thing.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Slavery---human beings only worth a fraction of others, women forced to endure castration, factory farms with animals kept in cages so small that they can't turn around, and now finally unborn kids get protection from one form of murder.

• Reply 8 of 98
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Just watch that one fly under the mod radar. Whoosh, see there it goes.

I'm not getting into this argument but I would say the pro-choice groups concerns would be based around the possibility that this would strengthen the argument of pro-lifers that abortion is murder opening up the possibility of future revision of abortion laws.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

My question is how anyone could have a problem with this bill.

That's a very good question- and one I intend to answer shortly. It seems that women's rights organizations are dead-set against the bill. So I'm inclined to agree with them at this point. We'll see.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    And here was me thinking that we already had laws to prohibit the assault or murder of pregnant women. Who'd have thought that we needed to designate a fetus at any stage of development as a separate and distinct person under the law in order to protect pregnant women from violence.
  • Reply 11 of 98
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    First off, I'd like to say I support laws like this, so don't jump down my throat for what I'm about to say.

People are against this law because:

1) There is no guarantee that a fetus will become a living breathing human. Giving something that may not even develope rights is seen by some as an attempt by anti-abortionists to end the murder.

2) Not all religions or culturs are against abortion, or even feel that a fetus is a human until it is born.

3) If a murder is commited and the woman was 2 weeks pregnent and didn't know about it what's the guarantee she wouldn't have gotten an abortion before the fetus was born.

Three reasons off the top of my head which boil down to there is no guarantee a fetus will become a human baby to begin with so trying someone for the crime of murdering what may never be a baby is a stretch to some. Also, the anti-abortionists are trying to prevent any rights from being bestowed onto a fetus because as soon as a fetus gets rights then we have begun down the road to ending abortion.
  • Reply 12 of 98
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

In the words of Brad Dupree (Kevin Spacey's boss) in American Beauty:

"Man, you are one twisted fsck. "

I hope a tree falls on you. So there.

• Reply 13 of 98
    The link from trumptman's original post provides the reason why this bill is problematic for many people (myself included):

Quote:

Refusing to recognize a full-term unborn baby as a person is an extreme position that flies in the face of reality. But "Laci and Conner's Law" goes to the opposite extreme, recognizing the fetus as a person throughout the pregnancy and, at least in theory, enshrining the notion that life begins at conception.

The prochoice movement might have been able to avoid this debacle with a compromise solution: a bill recognizing the unborn child as a homicide victim after viability. (That, incidentally, is the law in Massachusetts; only 16 states make fetal homicide a crime from conception.)

That fetal homicide exists is indisputable...when an act of violence ceases to be an attack on a woman and becomes an attack on a woman and her unborn child is in question.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    OK. I think I get it. The woman can kill her child, but no one else. I sure the child will be glad to hear that, considering he or she is kinda attached to the mother for 9 months without a vacation. The only person who can legally kill you- well, you are stuck inside them. Sweet dreams.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    Now I really want to do it.

It'll be like Galager. But with a fetus.

Everyone's invited.
  • Reply 16 of 98
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

This, on the other hand, makes me want to hit Ganondorf with a sledge hammer.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

This makes me want to hit you with the ban hammer.

I'm obviously not against twisted humor... but jesus christ, man. Grow the hell up.
  • Reply 18 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

This, on the other hand, makes me want to hit Ganondorf with a sledge hammer.

Be my guest.
  • Reply 19 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

This makes me want to hit you with the ban hammer.

Go for it.
  • Reply 20 of 98
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Nah, I'll let you dig a little deeper. I'm tired of doing all the dirty work around here.