MOSR: New PowerMacs based on 3ghz G6, NOT G5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    We-e-ell, well. MOSR is really very conservative in predictions these days. Instead of skipping the whole outdated G6 technology and dreaming up G7 they have to raise this FUD. Because they read these pages and know people mock them.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    i don't know enough about chip architecture and front side busses and what-not to be able to spot fraudulent rumors, but I do know quite a bit about video projectors.

Virtually every word about the fabled Apple video projector suggests a garbled translation of an incoherent message by a woefully ill informed chucklehead.

DVI out of the box! Adjustable contrast! 1024! Has this guy ever seen a video projector? Cause he's describing 2/3s of the projectors on the market.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Apple would be insane to name a processor G6 before they have migrated all pro machines to G5 and are ready to do the same for its consumer line. And.. from the little we know of 975 there is really no reason to dub it G6 either. Too bad someone it trying to pull this crap at this stage, so soon before Apil 1st.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Too bad someone it trying to pull this crap at this stage, so soon before April 1st.

I agree. Although MOSR became entertaining lately, this is not fun.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

He probably means HD not DVD. But he's a fool anyway...

It would still be wrong. Meader has no idea what he's talking about.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    G6?!?!? hahahahahah!

Ryan has *really* lost it this time!
  • Reply 27 of 38
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

"Also, is all of this rampart speculation about rev.b powermac in the works preventing anyone from purchasing a PowerMac? I've always wondered what effect, if any, these rumors have on potential sales?"

Didnt stop me from kitting out the studio... and before you all say your going to regret it I live in Australia so the wait is even longer for me. Im still waiting for my Qudra

MOSR + G6? + Apple = BS.

No way..not now... not ever.

MOSR is almost there with Spymac. Yep MOSR's crew are going to hell.

infact the devil has built a special wing for them along with all the other dogs... Hitlers dog... and the lassie that bit timmy...

• Reply 28 of 38
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

can we make an official ban on anyone that posts "info" from macosrumors?

Hey man! Don't shoot the messenger My message implied that all of this speculation should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt.

Remember how the G4 seemingly came out of nowhere? Not implying that this will happen with the G6, but ya never know.....
  • Reply 29 of 38
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    How can we get a G6 when we can't even get a faster G5? \
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

can we make an official ban on anyone that posts "info" from macosrumors?

Jeez, lighten up. Remember, this is a rumor board. What possible harm comes from debating information on its own merits rather than where it came from? No rumor site is perfect, and MOSR has gotten some things right. The hostility shown on these boards is making the experience unpleasant. Why don't we ban those whose only contributions are angry, dismissive posts?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Although he did publish this rumor on his website, he did say,"We're not putting too much stock in these reports just yet,..."

It appears that he will publish unfounded rumors with no confirmation(ie. a random email from sources unknown). I guess he just supplies the viewing public with some entertainment value.

But in his defense, he did add the proverbial out clause.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Slightly off topic but relevant, when exactly is this IBM presentation today? Happens right now, already happened?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Been wanting to get a time myself.

It is in New York and its today.

Thats all I know.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    On the G6 thing, I don't believe we will see them soon, but one must remember that Apple, when they decided to go with IBM, maid a decision to develop two seperate lines of processors. This was so they could catch up to Intel-AMD. We have seen one of these processors, How long before we see the second line?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    IBM demonstrated the Power5 processor today (set to ship sometime in 2005).

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Mar/1027635.htm

Maybe those fusion powered G6s aren't too far away after all
  • Reply 36 of 38
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

According to "sources" over at MOSR

(http://www.macosrumors.com/33004M.html) the next generation Powermacs will sport new chips based on Power5 (975) architecture. Is one of these sources Nostradamus, a paid crack-head informant , or does anyone think these rumors are feasible?

Also, is all of this rampart speculation about rev.b powermac in the works preventing anyone from purchasing a PowerMac? I've always wondered what effect, if any, these rumors have on potential sales?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Reply 37 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A number of people are having a riot with this post, while it could be garbage people should consider a few things.

First; it is understood that Apple has contracted for a couple of Power4 derived chips. It is not totally clear where the rumored 975 would stand with respect to Power. That is is it Power 4, Power 4.5 or a Power 5 derived chip. Taking into consideration the delay of the G5 rev B, there is a reasonable possibility that the delay may be the result of a new chip in the wings. Power 5 derived or not is not really important if there are significant improvements to be had.

Second; it is a bit foolish to laugh at the Power 5 derived hardware for being off in the future. Power 5 is a very near term reality. I would not be surprised to see Power 5 derived PPC's hit the market before Power 5 hardware.

Note also that the 970 is based on the Power 4 and was a quick implementation. There is nothing to keep IBM from implementing more unique solutions in the future. That is more loosely derived chips. Something based on Power 5 does not have to be a direct port.

As to buying a PowerMac the cost keeps me away not these message boards. Hey maybe after remodeling the house, building a garage and a trip to Jamaica the thought of pissing away big $$$$$ on a slow computer will appeal to me. On the otherhand maybe the next rev of the PowerMac will be compellingly fast, it would be great if rev B was truely the fastest PC to be had.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

According to "sources" over at MOSR

(http://www.macosrumors.com/33004M.html) the next generation Powermacs will sport new chips based on Power5 (975) architecture. Is one of these sources Nostradamus, a paid crack-head informant , or does anyone think these rumors are feasible?

Also, is all of this rampart speculation about rev.b powermac in the works preventing anyone from purchasing a PowerMac? I've always wondered what effect, if any, these rumors have on potential sales?

• Reply 38 of 38
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

On the G6 thing, I don't believe we will see them soon, but one must remember that Apple, when they decided to go with IBM, maid a decision to develop two seperate lines of processors. This was so they could catch up to Intel-AMD. We have seen one of these processors, How long before we see the second line?

The two processor lines are already in plain view. The Power, series, and the PPC series. IBM is mapping out both simultaneously as they did with the Power4 , and the PPC 970.

They have already revised the PPC970 into a lower power version PPC970FX.

That's 3 processors.

They (IBM) just demoed an early prototype Power5 today I believe. The 975 should have a prototype as well, but it may not be seen so early this year as it was with the Power4, and 970 last year.

If Meaders processor #ing scheme's, are correct. (I think he was the one who first said 975, and 976 would be the numerical order, and not 980, and 990 as some of us had thought.)

I suppose Meader believes, or it's likely someone else told him, or possibly one of these two believe IBM, and Apple going straight for the dual core 976, instead of first issuing the supposed 975 single core processor.

If it seemed a simple task for IBM to do so in the design, and prototyping process after using ideas from the Power5 don't see what the problem would be with that.

I'm sure Apple would love to gain the top spot on the speed, and processing power podium once again.

But the chances of someone just speculating that is what is going to happen seems more likely to me. I think I remember Meader previously saying that the 976 would be a dual core, and would be labeled the G6 at one point. If that's what he is saying. it's possible, but I think it's highly unlikely.

Personally I think any amount of cores in a 97x series should retain the G5 name.

Wait until The Power6, and start a 980 series before calling it the G6.

Power6, and G6 just seem to go together better, and would adhere to IBM's naming scheme if that's what it's going to be.

There's my 2¢