Finally got an iPod...anything I should do or know?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Thanks for the info.

Hey, if I got this, I could just plug it in to my work G4 and into my iPod during the day, so it's constantly charging?

Yup. Or you could get a pocket dock and use any regular FW cable.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I love the dock. I thought it would be useless, but no, it's actually very cool.

When I come home I get off my bike and drop my iPod into the dock: instant Sabbah FM, the same tune playing. I normally keep it plugged in there when I'm at home because it's easier than hunting for CDs.

I don't get anything like eight hours, and that's with no backlight or eq, but I do use big Sennheiser monitor headphones rather than the in-ear phones that come with it and I tend to crank the volume when I'm on my bike.

Welcome to the club Mr Scates.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I must be the only person that uses the wired remote.

\

no way, i use it all the time!
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I rarely listen to the iPod for more than 4 hours at a time, but I've never had it die when I needed it. Under normal listening, 1-2 hours a day, I usually go 3 days with needing a recharge.

i try to keep it plugged in when i can, like at skool, or whatever, just because that way i don't have to worry about the battery life at all.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Is there something I should know?

Yes, fill it with The Refreshments and Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, as many songs as possible.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Be very careful where you leave it. I put mine in what I thought was a safe place and it got stolen.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I've noticed that above about half volume the battery life starts taking a hit. Cranking it for an hour to drown out the crap they play at the gym takes a noticeable ~25% bite out of the battery. In my office, though, I can run the iPod at less than about 1/5 volume and then it just goes and goes. You'll get a feel for it. I had it run out of battery a few times when I first got it, but since I've gotten the hang of it there's always a bit left when I stick it back in its dock at the end of the day.

I never shut it off, either. If you pause the music and leave it alone it'll go to sleep by itself, and that works.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    One tip:

If you *tap* the pause button, rather than holding it down, you'll be able to start back up where you left off. If you hold the button down, you're turning it off and will lose your place in the song. I always just pause the iPod and it turns off automatically. I never turn it off manually (holding the pause button down for a couple seconds). I didn't know about this for the first few months of owning my iPod and losing my place in a song/album drove me crazy (I'm an album purist - gotta listen to the whole thing all the way through).
  • Reply 29 of 38
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Pod2Go rules, but it likes to hang on to your iPod. Eject it from the little menu bar item if regular ejecting isn't working.

Smart playlists on the iPod are cool too. I have a Daily Additions and Weekly addtions to catch any new stuff I put on there.

If you have a car stereo without an input, i'd recommend an iTrip. Works pretty darn well for me. Trick with that is to keep the volume somwhere below about 80% otherwise you'll get distorition and it'll sound like hell.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Another thing I just thought which might seem almost banal as a suggestion but I find it very handy to have an RCA to stereo mini plug to carry around so you can plug the pod into other people's stereos.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    my only complaint with pod2go is that it taxes the battery a lot becuase youre shuffling all over the hard drive. i also found that i can get all the info that i use pod2go for in about 10 seconds using tabs and safari, so i get my news brief in the morning, then check between classes. i'll have no use for pod2go when i get a pbook in the fall and can use my university's awesome wireless network.

thats all beside the point however--enjoy your ipod. and beware of a change in your lifestlye.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

beware of a change in your lifestlye.

major ditto!
  • Reply 33 of 38
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, I can say this: I went to the laundromat tonight (I usually make Wednesday laundry night) and this time I didn't mind it so much...because I had 2,400 songs to listen to! Made time fly, actually.

AND, it ended up being a great little conversation starter. Two cutie pies asked about it and we talked about music, Macs, etc.

That's never happened before, so...

I love this iPod.

Another cool thing is that I find myself listening to things on the iPod that I never really do from iTunes on the PowerBook (even connected to nice-sounding Creature II speakers). I was listening to a bunch of Mozart and opera stuff at work today and I didn't realize how much I could enjoy that stuff. And actually listened closer to my Diana Krall stuff too, for the first time. A tinkling piano and soft, husky vocals sound better through earbuds anyway.

So many neat little things about it. It's really just a perfect device, in so many ways. Put my Address Book and iCal stuff on there, so that's really cool. I'll check into that iPod2Go thing too...I've heard about it quite a bit.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    How the heck do I remove songs from my iPod to clean up space? Everything is greyed out. I want to free up some space.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

How the heck do I remove songs from my iPod to clean up space? Everything is greyed out. I want to free up some space.

what do you mean by grayed out? When I plug my iPod into my powerbook, it shows up in iTunes, if I want to remove a song, I select it on the pod's library in iTunes and hit delete.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

If you want to manually remove stuff from your iPod, you need to select "manually manage iPod playlists" or something like that. If you don't want to manually manage it, you can tell it to only sync certain playlists and work with those iTunes playlists.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

If you want to manually remove stuff from your iPod, you need to select "manually manage iPod playlists" or something like that. If you don't want to manually manage it, you can tell it to only sync certain playlists and work with those iTunes playlists.

Great! I got it! Now if I can just figure out how to uncheck all my songs instead of doing it manually!
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

Great! I got it! Now if I can just figure out how to uncheck all my songs instead of doing it manually!

Your best bet is to make some smart playlists and have them defined by your comments field. What I do is have a smart playlist that looks for "on iPod" and goes from there. You can do multiple songs at once this way.