Google to offer email with 1 GB storage

Comments

• Reply 22 of 41
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I guess I spoke too soon... It looks like it's real.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

The "lack of gravity" mistake wrecks it for me Dammit I need accuracy in lies. They should have Google'd first ...
  • Reply 24 of 41
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well Google got me. Dang, these guys are hilarious
  • Reply 25 of 41
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    LOL guess what!!! spymac is now offering 1GB of email storage as of april 5th! (seriously). this is cracking me up. too bad i dont use my spymac email....

spymac
  • Reply 26 of 41
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Not to spoil the fun, but case counts! "1 Gb" is one gigabit, or about 120MB.

b = bit. B = byte. Here endeth the lesson.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

(Google requires engineers to spend a day a week on projects that interest them, unrelated to their day jobs). Millions of M&Ms later, Gmail was born.

Dang, I wanna work there.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

hehe interesting catch.. but look at this.. it clearly says

"Gmail is a free, search-based webmail service that includes 1,000 megabytes (1 gigabyte) of storage."

so there!

I think we need the title changed!
  • Reply 29 of 41
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Since I only use Safari, I guess I won't get it or maybe they don't think Safari is a real browser.

reg

http://www.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

5. What are Gmail's system requirements?

Gmail currently supports the following browsers:

Microsoft IE 5.5 and newer (Windows)

Netscape 7.1 and newer (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)

Mozilla 1.4 and newer (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)

Mozilla Firefox 0.8 and newer (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)

Regardless of the browser used, you must have JavaScript and cookies enabled. We hope to expand this list of supported browsers in the near future. To get updates on our progress with Gmail, add your email address using the form at the bottom of this page.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

Since I only use Safari, I guess I won't get it or maybe they don't think Safari is a real browser.

reg

http://www.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

5. What are Gmail's system requirements?

Gmail currently supports the following browsers:

Microsoft IE 5.5 and newer (Windows)

Netscape 7.1 and newer (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)

Mozilla 1.4 and newer (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)

Mozilla Firefox 0.8 and newer (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)

Regardless of the browser used, you must have JavaScript and cookies enabled. We hope to expand this list of supported browsers in the near future. To get updates on our progress with Gmail, add your email address using the form at the bottom of this page.

You can still log in with Safari.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    This is interesting. They are going to use the contents of your email to target the ads to you. Hummmmm?

Quote:

8. Are there ads in Gmail?

There are no pop-ups or banner ads in Gmail. Gmail does include relevant text ads that are similar to the ads appearing on the right side of Google search results pages. The matching of ads to content is a completely automated process performed by computers using the same technology that powers the Google AdSense program. This technology already places targeted ads on thousands of sites across the web by quickly analyzing the content of pages and determining which ads are most relevant to them. No humans read your email to target the ads, and no email content or other personally identifiable information is ever provided to advertisers.

• Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Thanks - I never knew there was a difference. I did mean GB.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    In case anyone is still confused about this story...the service is ABSOLUTELY REAL. The marketing department at Google are looking like idiots for releasing the product around the horn of April 1st.

I'm wondering if Apple will up the storage space afforded to .Mac users. That would be a nice side benefit of this new competitor's arrival.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Remote e-mail storage = the next MHz/MP myth.

You wouldn't need 1 GB of storage on Apple's servers since most people download the content to their 40 GB hard drives when they get home anyway. But marketing hype might force it anyway.

All I want is an easy way to archive an entire folder/mailbox at once for quick look-ups or restoration later, then I wouldn't need to leave all my old messages on someone else's server.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

In case anyone is still confused about this story...the service is ABSOLUTELY REAL. The marketing department at Google are looking like idiots for releasing the product around the horn of April 1st.

I'm wondering if Apple will up the storage space afforded to .Mac users. That would be a nice side benefit of this new competitor's arrival.

Or geniuses, given the amount of attention it generated
  • Reply 36 of 41
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Remote e-mail storage = the next MHz/MP myth.

You wouldn't need 1 GB of storage on Apple's servers since most people download the content to their 40 GB hard drives when they get home anyway. But marketing hype might force it anyway.

there are uses for large space in an email account. at work, for example, we pass multimegabyte files around, carelessly ignoring their size. if i were doing that on hotmail or yahoo, they'd butt in everytime i went over their tiny limit (~5MB right? havent chekced them out in a while). plus, now u wont have to download ur email to home. it can be available all the time, everywhere.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, it's officially official. I'm advertising my dissertation research using google's adwords. Today I received an email from them talking about gmail.

Quote:

Content network expands to email

The Google Network already includes such sites as USATODAY.com and over 50% of the Media Metrix Top 100 that show advertising?sites that reach over 80% of U.S. Internet users. And now, we're adding more ways for you to reach prospects interested in your products or services: email and newsletter ad placements. Just as when your ads are shown alongside Google search results, your contextually-targeted ads will now show alongside approved newsletter and email content, such as iVillage newsletters and our new Gmail. [Learn more...]

As we're still growing inventory of email pages, email will likely remain only a small source of additional clicks for some time. You don't need to do anything to participate in this opportunity. To view your selected preferences, simply visit your Campaign Settings page.

We look forward to providing you with the most effective advertising available.

So gmail is real. Without any doubt.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5184090.html

says google web main is no joke
  • Reply 39 of 41
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

there are uses for large space in an email account. at work, for example, we pass multimegabyte files around, carelessly ignoring their size. if i were doing that on hotmail or yahoo, they'd butt in everytime i went over their tiny limit (~5MB right? havent chekced them out in a while). plus, now u wont have to download ur email to home. it can be available all the time, everywhere.

It's not really an argument against having e-mail storage that big. I just was making a wish-list for making a better e-mail backup system to go along with it because you know most people won't do a good job of backing up their stuff, especially if they have so much room to play with.

But having said that, this is what networks are for. To send stuff via e-mail that's so large is a huge waste of resources and its playing with fire IMO. There are better, more secure, safer, faster, more efficient and more interactive means of sharing data that large. Come to think of it, how much longer will e-mail as we know it survive? With more interactive uses of broadband - VPN, VoIP, IM, Rendezvous, etc. plus larger and higher-quality data being shared, I imagine that while the marketing of so-called e-mail won't change, the nature of what comprises e-mail will. Well, it will happen, but not until AOL's dial-up users with their plain-text AOL mail and weird jpeg wrappers go away. But I digress again.

The falling prices of storage are more important than the pace of CPU speed gains IMO. Google just made that much apparent, and hopefully more will follow suit and find more applications for all that cheap space.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

You think Google is being generous? Look at Microsoft:

Microsoft strikes back: Hotmail service to include 1 Terabyte of storage

Pah, one puny gigabyte? Who are they kidding? MS has got it down.