Ants In My Computer?!??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

This is not an april fools joke, I am serious, there are ants coming out of my keyboard.

not en masse, but I've got about 6 so far, and there seems to be more every time I leave the Pbook unattended for a few hours.

Could this be fatal for the computer in anyway? what if I squish one while typing? what could they possibly be after? and why was I foolish enough to let it get there in the first place? and how can I clean under the keyboard?

~1.25ghz Aluminum Powerbook

any intelligant fool would know to open teh "little numlock light" thing so you can lift up your keyboard and see the insides and spray raid all over the place its the most obvioust thing to do!!!!1!!!!!11111

am i teh only one here with any sense here.... trust me on this i had the same problem but b careful puting the keyboard back my computer wont work and i think the keyboard is effeting it
  • Reply 22 of 39
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Smelled a lot of roasted ants have we? (don't tell me I can guess - they smell a bit like roast chicken right?)

More like battery acid \

Ant blood is highly acidic, it's a defense mechanism of sorts. Anteaters have developed ways to cope with the acidity, but generally, it wards off animals from eating ants.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    i had to do that? its too late at night and too tempting to think otherwise
  • Reply 24 of 39
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Oh cool, I can tell of a story that has become lore around the ITS office at the School Board here:

In the process of doing Office 2000 installs, we send out an "Onsite Tech" team consisting of about five people to perform the installs. It's a nice divide and conquer system. Well one teacher mentions to a tech that her computer makes a funny noise, even when it's not plugged in. The Tech, obviously though she was mistaken (come on, how can a computer make noise when not plugged in?) so he went to check it out during her class, and low and behold, she was right. So the Tech figures that "This isn't right" and opens the case. Upon opening the case, a huge hoard of cockroaches streamed out of the computer, engulfing the surface of the desk. The Tech said something along the lines of "Oh f*^k" and ran out tearing his clothes off once the 'roaches climbed into his pants. So the Principle sees this half-naked man sprinting down the hall as if his life depended on it and hears crying and screaming from a classroom. When he gets to the hall, most of the class is outside puking, the teacher was on the edge of a nervous breakdown, and the roaches were nowhere to be seen.

Apparently, the women had eaten at her desk, and food crumbs got sucked into the case. The computer was warm, and had food inside it (along with the stuff on the desk outside) so it provided a nice habitat for all those nasty cockroaches.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Oh cool, I can tell of a story that has become lore around the ITS office at the School Board here:

In the process of doing Office 2000 installs, we send out an "Onsite Tech" team consisting of about five people to perform the installs. It's a nice divide and conquer system. Well one teacher mentions to a tech that her computer makes a funny noise, even when it's not plugged in. The Tech, obviously though she was mistaken (come on, how can a computer make noise when not plugged in?) so he went to check it out during her class, and low and behold, she was right. So the Tech figures that "This isn't right" and opens the case. Upon opening the case, a huge hoard of cockroaches streamed out of the computer, engulfing the surface of the desk. The Tech said something along the lines of "Oh f*^k" and ran out tearing his clothes off once the 'roaches climbed into his pants. So the Principle sees this half-naked man sprinting down the hall as if his life depended on it and hears crying and screaming from a classroom. When he gets to the hall, most of the class is outside puking, the teacher was on the edge of a nervous breakdown, and the roaches were nowhere to be seen.

Apparently, the women had eaten at her desk, and food crumbs got sucked into the case. The computer was warm, and had food inside it (along with the stuff on the desk outside) so it provided a nice habitat for all those nasty cockroaches.

ugh i hate roahed and that is one thing i would fear the most...over death... being covered by roaches... AAAAHHHH

just commenting

PS
  • Reply 26 of 39
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Yuck, I hate that smell.

Last year sucked, I had ants, spiders and moths in my room. It was like the frigging Amityville Horror.

The spiders were of course there because of the ants and the moths. The moths were there because I had used an incandescent bulb in a 3rd lamp (Japanese paper ball thing, which they thought was Sol, the Sun apparently) by the window and over my desk, rather than my usual compact fluorescent bulbs in my usual 2 lamps.

Got rid of that, so no moths.

Good floor scrubbing with Murphy's Oil Soap made it less attractive to the ants, by then it was Fall and they all died/left.

Next year I'll be in Bangkok fighting mosquitos and scorpions... Ah well...they will win in the end.

Ah! You've just reminded me (sorry to derail your thread wobot, truly I am) I had this moth get into the house just after I moved in that had the wing span of a sparrow and a body the size of a tiger prawn (ie. shrimp). I do not exaggerate.

Now ants, spiders other creepy crawlies I don't mind but friggin' fluttery moths bug (!) me. It's like they were given the ability to fly but with absolutely no ability to steer. Eventually had to kill it. Just couldn't handle it. Will probably come back in my next life as a millipede because it was a such magnificent creature. Oh well.

(hey sounds like great advice PS5533 )
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

More like battery acid \

Ant blood is highly acidic, it's a defense mechanism of sorts. Anteaters have developed ways to cope with the acidity, but generally, it wards off animals from eating ants.

Oh I see you're doing a fine job of derailing your thread all on your own.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

(hey sounds like great advice PS5533 )

well i promise you that if i ever get an ant in this machine(G4 ti 550MHz) then i will both spray the computer down with it and i'll also spray it in my eyes and mouth because if an insect ever were touch a Mac it would be very sinful VERY!!!!!11!!
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Oh I see you're doing a fine job of derailing your thread all on your own.

I have no problems derailing my own thread, especially after relevant information has been posted...
  • Reply 30 of 39
    This has to be the most unintentionally comical thread I have ever read!

One of my ex-girlfriends has ants in her PC... it was odd. One day I lifted the top handle and a mini army of them raced out. I was always hoping that they would one day short something but her box (no pun intended) is still running smoothly.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    You know, in Arab countries, it is illegal for them to kill roaches.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

You know, in Arab countries, it is illegal for them to kill roaches.

Roach-sized suicide vests have yet to be perfected, apparently. For surely, if it's ok to send your son out to die and blow up Jews, it would be ok to send suicidal roaches. Maybe it's just my skewed American perspective.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Maybe roaches just aren't enticed by a heaven filled with virgin roaches...
  • Reply 34 of 39
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Maybe roaches just aren't enticed by a heaven filled with virgin roaches...

STOP! <tears from >

You guys kill me...
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

[B]This is not an april fools joke, I am serious, there are ants coming out of my keyboard.

Could this be fatal for the computer in anyway?

Keyboard.. hmmm... might cause some difficulties to type with that keyboard... Probably not because of ants but the food you have dropped in...

But, CD/DVD drive will probably act weirdly if ants "flesh'n'bones" are spinnig around (inside) your drive....
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

I hear that ants taste kind of like lemonade, maybe that's why. Apparently some of the larger varieties can actually be used for nutrition if you're desperate (or just live somewhere where people like to eat bugs).
  • Reply 37 of 39
    The anteater, aardvark, spiny anteater (echidna), and scaly anteater (pangolin) are completely unrelated - infact, the closest relatives to anteaters are sloths and armadillos, the closest relative to the spiny anteater is the platypus, and the aardvark is in an order all by itself.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

I hear that ants taste kind of like lemonade, maybe that's why. Apparently some of the larger varieties can actually be used for nutrition if you're desperate (or just live somewhere where people like to eat bugs).

Well, I've tasted ants before(as gross as that sounds) And they are very acidic, it burns your tongue, I guess it is sort of like lemonade, lemonade with no sugar, that was made from sour lemons.

There is a type of ant, I forget it's name, but they store vast(for them) amounts of honey and sugars in a special sac behind their abdomen. They are supposedly delicious, well, the sac part, you wouldn't eat the head.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Well, I've tasted ants before(as gross as that sounds) And they are very acidic, it burns your tongue, I guess it is sort of like lemonade, lemonade with no sugar, that was made from sour lemons.

There is a type of ant, I forget it's name, but they store vast(for them) amounts of honey and sugars in a special sac behind their abdomen. They are supposedly delicious, well, the sac part, you wouldn't eat the head.

I think this might be what you're referring to http://www.frogandtoad.com.au/aborig...ushtucker.html

Quote:

The Honey Ant

Store honeydew in their swollen abdomens. Women in Central Australia dig deeply to uncover them in their underground nests. They are particularly plentiful around Papunya, which means "Honey Ant Dreaming".

And yes, the echidna and platypus are both monotremes - egg-laying mammals.