New ATI Graphics Card... Will be?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We'll about a month ago I read some where that ATI was releasing a new graphics card. Speculated date was mid-April. With all the next tuesday speculation for the PowerMac, several pointed out it would be stupid to release a new G5 if one month later ATI updated it's Mac Graphics card.

So do anyone have any thoughts as to what the new Graphics card will be?

Anyways along the PowerMac G5 front... it seems like the NAB event will be the host of the PowerMac release or at least around that same time in Mid-Aprl.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    read the new blurb on the appleinsider main page.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Yes, you should read this blurb and why it doesn't make sense.

You will see my post and then it will make sense.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=40519
  • Reply 3 of 59
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Here's the dish on the ATI x800 and x800 Pro models and their release dates. Wonder if the dates have anything to do with Power Mac holdups? April 26th and June 14th?
  • Reply 4 of 59
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    guys, can you tell me what's so great about ATi?

nVidia is absolutely going to kill ATi in this chipset refresh (nvidia releases its chip on april 13th). supposedly the NV40 (the new nvidia chip) will be 16 pipelines with 2 shader units per pipe. consider how the best nvidia card out now has 4 pipes with 2 shader units per pipe.

ati originally planned to ship a 12 pipe x 1 shader unit card, but when they realized what nvidia planned, they had to release a 16x1 card (originally going to be released in 5 months).

guys, if you can, you should seriously check out nvidia's newest card. april 13th is the release date, just 5 days from now.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Up until this release, ATI has been even (ahead in some aspects, slightly behind in others) so either way it is a wash. And ATI and nVidia are the two cards placed in Macs. I guess their greatness comes from inclusion.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

nVidia is absolutely going to kill ATi in this chipset refresh (nvidia releases its chip on april 13th). supposedly the NV40 (the new nvidia chip) will be 16 pipelines with 2 shader units per pipe. consider how the best nvidia card out now has 4 pipes with 2 shader units per pipe.

ati originally planned to ship a 12 pipe x 1 shader unit card, but when they realized what nvidia planned, they had to release a 16x1 card (originally going to be released in 5 months).

guys, if you can, you should seriously check out nvidia's newest card. april 13th is the release date, just 5 days from now.

Well there's a substantial difference between "release" and shipping. As word has it nVidia's is expected to be very much a paper launch with actual products not seeing the light of day for a few months, at which time the little birds say ATi will be releasing a 16 pipleline product. Given their 12 pipeline product is apparently only a touch slower than nVidia's paper product but with immediate availability I really don't think ATi is too badly positioned. About the only thing nVidia really has is Pixel Shader 3.0 support. Great for marketing but not likely to appear in games until next year. Either way the competition is good for the market.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    the 12x1 version will be out first but is available for $400 and is ONLY a 12x1 version. At the end of may, ATi will release their 16x1 version and their 8x1 version.

the 12x1 will be $400. now, who would go for the 12x1 version when a 16x1 version is around the corner?

the point is that the NV40 is spectacular and will be available for the mac immediately unlike the ATi product. I seriously hope that Apple ditches ATi and its crappy OpenGL support for nVidia.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

the 12x1 version will be out first but is available for $400 and is ONLY a 12x1 version. At the end of may, ATi will release their 16x1 version and their 8x1 version.

the point is that the NV40 is spectacular and will be available for the mac immediately unlike the ATi product. I seriously hope that Apple ditches ATi and its crappy OpenGL support for nVidia.

You're dreaming if you think nVidia's part is going to be available to buy before June. It won't be available immediately at all. ATi will have the fastest shipping product with their 12x1 card. If you want peak performance and need a card then you'll buy that. If you're willing to wait you'll wait for their 16x1 card. Given their 12x1 is meant to have performance only fractionally below the NV40 though you'd be a fool to write ATi off at this point given how long nVidia will take to ship.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Quote:

the 12x1 will be $400. now, who would go for the 12x1 version when a 16x1 version is around the corner?

If anything, if Apple is still hat'n ATi for their previous problems, Apple would already have had plans with nVidia, should anything happen.

should. anything. happen.

-walloo.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    ATi was behind, now nVidia are playing catch up. the 16 pipeline nVidia card, is going to be about $500... A Radeon 9800 pro has 8 piplines, and costs £160, so about $280?

ATi is going to release it's new cards, and they'll be subtantially better than the 9800 series. Remember, I wouldn't say opengl support in OSX is better on nVidia cards, at least with a 9700 and up you get full shaders, in Halo with a GF4Ti you get about half.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You're dreaming if you think nVidia's part is going to be available to buy before June. It won't be available immediately at all. ATi will have the fastest shipping product with their 12x1 card. If you want peak performance and need a card then you'll buy that. If you're willing to wait you'll wait for their 16x1 card. Given their 12x1 is meant to have performance only fractionally below the NV40 though you'd be a fool to write ATi off at this point given how long nVidia will take to ship.

When nVidia visited us a little while ago they claimed to be shipping imminently, and that we'd have cards in our hands really soon. Well before May.

The fact is, however, that neither chip will kill the other company. Nobody is going to be written off, and its better for the industry that they aren't. Competition is healthy. ATI has been on top for a while, nVidia has been working hard to get back there. Now its ATI's turn to work harder, meanwhile nVidia will strive to stay there. In the end the consumer wins.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Where do you work, Programmer?
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:

*Sniff*

*Sniff*

Is that a fanboy I smell?
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

When nVidia visited us a little while ago they claimed to be shipping imminently, and that we'd have cards in our hands really soon. Well before May.

The news they put out at release was 45 days, which puts it to the end of May. I rather expect cards will be rather sparse until into Juse as well. It's a paper launch.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    From [H]ard|OCP:

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?new...bCAgICAsMjAwNA

Edit: Almost forgot, this came from leaked ATI documents.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pumpkintosh

*Sniff*

*Sniff*

Is that a fanboy I smell?

no. but Apple really needs to get away from ATi.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    There better be a beefy card in the mix for the DOOM3 release in June. I hope we have dual 2.5 GHz G5s and baddass video cards!
  • Reply 18 of 59
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    That NV40 is a total power hog: it takes two slots, it has a monster blower, and it needs independent power connections.

Arty50's info is good. The PCI-Express is the new version, and if the Rev-B PowerMacs have a PCI-E slot on them (as some of the forthcoming Athlon64 cards will have), these boards will be very good performers at a reasonable price.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

There better be a beefy card in the mix for the DOOM3 release in June. I hope we have dual 2.5 GHz G5s and baddass video cards!

Where does it say DOOM3 is coming to the Mac? I must have missed that.

Besides. Nvidia looks way better. Even the makers of DOOM3 say so.

They also recommend Nvidia Geforce FX's (which are not available on the Mac) to play the game on.

The new Nvidia 6800's are way ahead of that ATI map, and the 6800 is ready. This is what it say's at Toms hardware

Quote:

Originally posted on Tom's Hardware

12.000 points in 3DMark 2003. A score of over 60.000 in AquaMark 3. Over 60fps in Halo at 1600x1200 and more than 50fps in FarCry with High FSAA and 4tap anisotropic filtering at 1024x768 - these are numbers that will bring tears of joy to PC enthusiasts everywhere.

LINK TO TOMS
  • Reply 20 of 59
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

no. but Apple really needs to get away from ATi.

I disagree -- nVidia's track record isn't significantly different, and competition is a good thing.