should we ban cigarette smoking....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
a link

why isn't cigarette smoking illegal if mary jane smoking is...anyway, if we can cut medical bills, cut social security payments to families who lose a parent at an early age, cut the number of children with asthma, etc etc, then why aren't we doing this??

probably easy for me to ask, nobody in my family smokes (well two did, but they are both dead now from it...one emphysema, one heart attack)...how did we every manage to pick and choose what is legal and what is not??

i say un-ban gay marriage

and ban public smoking (you could still smoke at home...and smoke anything you want...just no smoking at work, at schools, at church, at the park, at the zoo, no "designated smoking areas" etc...no smoking anyplace but your house and your yard

the world would be healthier and happier

g

edit: ps...before rants of "this is america, land of the free", remember that we ban lots of things in public (some with very little reasoning behind it, at least smoking has health concerns)...no public nudity is a silly one that comes to mind (no public spitting was a law when TB was very common...also for health reasons)...can we think of some more??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea this is america land of the free. We ban a lot of stuff we shouldn't. We tried prohibition and it didn't work.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I say ban smoking, and stop linking a non-genetic behavior to civil rights issues that are genetic.

Since we are just asserting what we like, I figured I toss in two cents.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 55
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    1. smoking would not be outlawed

2. we outlaw lots of stuff and it never works...like marijuana, like underage drinking, underage smoking, underage sex.... etc

you just have to do it at home...like sex, like nudity, like lots of things...you are free to smoke all you want at home, on your property, at a friends house if he/she lets you...and that's it...no work places, no public places, only at home/homes and the land you own

g
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

1. smoking would not be outlawed

2. we outlaw lots of stuff and it never works...like marijuana, like underage drinking, underage smoking, underage sex.... etc

you just have to do it at home...like sex, like nudity, like lots of things...you are free to smoke all you want at home, on your property, at a friends house if he/she lets you...and that's it...no work places, no public places, only at home/homes and the land you own

g

It isn't so much that those things are "legal" at home but that the state isn't allowed to barge in and see if you are doing them. Simply ban smoking and then if you do it in the privacy of your home, the state can't barge in and see, just like with drinking, pot, etc.

Also wasn't it you (memory fails me) who posted that smoking could be used to determine custody? Obviously then it really wouldn't matter what was done in the privacy of your home since the courts could question you about it, and remove your children because of this habit.

Amazing how the courts will shred the Constitution in an instant though when it is "for the children."

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 55
    nope, wrong person....

personally i don't care if people smoke or not...(though the health concerns are real)

just find the lastest study interesting

and wonder why some things are legal and some things are illegal

and why we care what humans do at home

g
  • Reply 6 of 55
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I say ban smoking, and stop linking a non-genetic behavior to civil rights issues that are genetic.

Since we are just asserting what we like, I figured I toss in two cents.

Nick

What a dick-head thing to say. Why don't comments like the one I've quoted get people banned? I'm throughly confused and disappointed by the 'guidelines'.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

What a dick-head thing to say. Why don't comments like the one I've quoted get people banned? I'm throughly confused and disappointed by the 'guidelines'.

Those same guidelines would frown upon you saying trumpet's comments were "dick-head" thing[s] to say." If it's good for the goose...
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

personally i don't care if people smoke or not...(though the health concerns are real)

I think we would be wrong to ban smoking, but completely correct to ban the sale of tobacco. At least mass produced filtered pre-rolled cigarettes. The problem isn't that some people smoke, but that a gigantic ecomony exists to kill people. That's not a good thing.

So, why let companies profit from it? Don't. But don't take away an individual's right to smoke tobacco, or pot for that matter. Or eating peyote, or rollerblading.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:

Obviously you didn't read the first post carefully.

Quote:

i say un-ban gay marriage and ban public smoking

I just added my thoughts on the exact same two subjects he posted about in this little thing I like to call a reply.

Last time I checked if you posted on a topic, and I replied on the same topic, that wasn't a "dick-head" thing to do. I didn't call names, insult him, or anything else.

Stop jerking that knee so hard. You'll hurt yourself.

Nick
  • Reply 10 of 55
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    The US govt could never ban smoking. They need the tax money. Most govts are in on the tobacco action. I smoke just so some poor kids in my community can have health care.

<lights one up> "For the Children"
  • Reply 11 of 55
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    BAN SMKING.

...everywhere.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

BAN SMKING.

...everywhere.

It's the start of another one of those EEEEVIIILLL agreement alliances...

Smoking should be gone. It doesn't matter the history, the revenues, the anything else. Slavery once made economic sense to some and also was an engrained lifestyle. It's already been shown that the greedy government is doing nothing with regard to helping smokers stop with the tobacco settlement money. Simply ban it.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

I think we would be wrong to ban smoking, but completely correct to ban the sale of tobacco. At least mass produced filtered pre-rolled cigarettes. The problem isn't that some people smoke, but that a gigantic ecomony exists to kill people. That's not a good thing.

So, why let companies profit from it? Don't. But don't take away an individual's right to smoke tobacco, or pot for that matter. Or eating peyote, or rollerblading.

I don't think we should ban guns, just bullets.

I don't think we should ban free speech, just the ability to breath out while vibrating your vocal chords.

Don't be a coward! All stances like this lead to are confusion because the twisted thinking behind it can never lead to real enforcement of anything.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Don't be a coward! All stances like this lead to are confusion because the twisted thinking behind it can never lead to real enforcement of anything.

You're not making sense. Twisted thinking? Real enforcement? Feel free to expand on your ideas but your analogies aren't accurate. I didn't say 'let people smoke but ban matches and lighters.'

Let people smoke. If you find a company selling mass produced smokes shut them down. What's the big deal? That makes much more sense than trying to control the actions of every individual. It also makes more Constitutional sense. It's far easier to legislate against a few companies than it is to attack individuals.

My biggest problem with smoking isn't the cigarettes, it's the mass production of tobacco. It's one of the worst crops for the soil and brings the least amout of good with it. Stop that and all's good in my book.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Keep smoking legal. Criminalizing it would only create a new source of income for organized crime/Mafia, while the justice system would be more overburdened with thousands of cases of tobacco possession, intent to supply etc....

Nicotine is as addictive as opiates, and addicts will go to extreme lengths to obtain tobacco....banning it would be a law enforcement nightmare. As Scott pointed out, (alcohol) prohibition was a farce, and similarly the "war on drugs" is an abject failure.

At the same time, prohibit smoking in all public places. Smokers could still relieve their addiction outdoors or at home without breaking the law, and the public would finally have the freedom to breathe the air that the lungs were designed to accommodate, rather than having to be forced to take in the noxious fumes from others' habits.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    No. It's up to individual establishments and cities to ban smoking in areas they believe it to be inappropriate. There is no way that making smoking illegal could ever work, given how ingrained it is into our society. Just consider how many law enforcement officers and FBI types smoke. Plenty I'm sure. You think the black market for guns is bad... wait until you see the black market for cigarettes.

The only postive, unintended consequence I could see as a result of this, is that a lot of narcotics dealers would start dealing cigarettes instead. As bad as they are, cigarettes are preferable to say crack or heroine in that regard. Only barely preferable to dealing weed.

• Reply 17 of 55
    I can understand smoking bans in certain situations. Office - Fine. Restaurants - Fine. Bars should be able to decide whether or not to allow smoking. Just make sure they have a plentitude of signage pointing out the health risks associated with it. But banning smoking in parks is a bit ludicrous. I'll agree to a ban of smoking in open public spaces once we agree to ban cars. And coal burning power plants. And numerous other things that are a lot worse for the health of the world than me smoking a cigarette.

It is safe to say that we are all aware of the dangers of a life time of heavy smoking and we continue to do it, so why bother banning cigs and cig manufactures? The demand is there, let them supply it.

A smoking-related death and disease have been surpassed by those related to obesity. SO isn't it about time we stopped turning smokers into lepers and started picking on the fat people and the death-peddling fast food industry that feeds them?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    That article was about a public smoking ban -- you could still legally smoke all the cigarettes you wanted at home. There would be no black cigarette market, no back alleyway dealings. It would still be perfectly legal to buy as many cigs as you wanted. You just wouldn't be able to smoke them in public.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    OK. Then the inevitable point of contention will follow: what constitutes "public"? Is smoking between office buildings where there is no thru street or sidewalk "public"? Is smoking on the rooftop of an apartment building "public"? What about on an open country road... is that "public"? Guy can't smoke his Marlboros walking along Route 66, looking for help with his stalled car?

What about in your car with the windows open, is that "public"? Or the parking lot of a huge office plaza... nothing but cars out there? Parking garages? What about Main Street USA... 9pm on a weeknight, taking a walk. No smokes for Mrs. Applebee?

You try to make an all-out public ban, and it's tantamount to making it illegal in many smokers' eyes. There will be frivolous lawsuits out the ying-yang.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    i thought i was clear...smoking is legal, you can buy cigarettes, you can smoke cigarettes

but no public smoking...just like no public nudity...if you can't be nude there, you can't smoke there...simple equation...so no to offices, restaurants, bars etc,

yes to strip clubs and i guess gay bath houses

so smoking only at your home and on your property...inside your car is ok...i've been nude there often

g