Exercise and stuff

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I just got back from running a mile. Don't know the time but I doubt it was a very good time. I'm just happy I was able to do it without stopping once and without having my heart feel like it's trying to beat out of my chest. I'm absolutely loving all the extra energy I've had since I've started losing weight. I'm now down 50 pounds since November. I think I'm also getting addicted to the gym because I definitely get fidgety when I don't get a chance to go for a few days. Just another 30 - 40 pounds to go and i'm hoping to be done by June. I'm stepping up the cardio to running a mile every day (I had just been doing weight training up until now), decreasing my calorie intake just a wee bit more and increasing the intensity of my gym workouts.

So, any of you have similar stories? Anyone considering embarking on a weight loss exercise/diet program? Anyone else addicted to working out? Don't be shy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'm pretty thin, so I'm not concerned with losing any weight, but I have been working out and getting in shape.

I have been playing soccer almost everyday for the past 2 weeks, and I have gone to the gym where I lift weights, 4 times in the past week, and will be going tomorrow as well.

In addition to that, I have been doing many exercises at home, some martial arts stuff I learned.

So, yeah, I'm still pretty out of shape though, I played 2v2 soccer today, and I was totally spent after like 30 minutes, which is pretty lame.

my right knee has been hurting lately though, so that's kind of weak, but so long as it's not permanent, I'm cool.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    BR I am with you!

What weight did you start out at and what weight are you trying to get to?

I am 6'2" and have gone from 205 last dec to 185 now

I love the extra energy of eating right and working out!

Fellows
  • Reply 3 of 86
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

BR I am with you!

What weight did you start out at and what weight are you trying to get to?

I am 6'2" and have gone from 205 last dec to 185 now

I love the extra energy of eating right and working out!

Fellows

I started around 260 and I'm at 209 now. I'm trying to get to either a really built 180 or somewhere between 170 and 180. I'm 5'11".
  • Reply 4 of 86
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I started around 260 and I'm at 209 now. I'm trying to get to either a really built 180 or somewhere between 170 and 180.

congrats man! I am very proud of your progress and attitude!

Keep it up!

Fellows
  • Reply 5 of 86
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

congrats man! I am very proud of your progress and attitude!

Keep it up!

Fellows

Thanks. You too.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    Well, I'm in a sort of opposite situation.

I'm desperately trying to gain weight...

I came to the us at 110 pounds.

Through building muscle I am now 128 pounds.

but I am still underweight because I'm 5'10 in height.

the excercise worked for a while but now it seems to have levelled off. I fence and bike not a little, so I have no idea why I'm not building more muscle. Maybe I'm not eating at the right times or something?

Any suggestions?
  • Reply 7 of 86
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Well, I'm in a sort of opposite situation.

I'm desperately trying to gain weight...

I came to the us at 110 pounds.

Through building muscle I am now 128 pounds.

but I am still underweight because I'm 5'10 in height.

the excercise worked for a while but now it seems to have levelled off. I fence and bike not a little, so I have no idea why I'm not building more muscle. Maybe I'm not eating at the right times or something?

Any suggestions?

Wow, that's lighter than I was. I was a serious distance runner for a while, and at my lightest I was about 6' 125. I would basically recommend lifting weights and eating a lot. Don't worry too much about health. I used to eat sticks of butter dipped in chocolate sauce to try to meet my 5-7000 calorie/day requirement. Protein/weight gainer shakes also help a lot, but they taste AWFUL. Although they have improved by leaps and bounds in the past 10 year.

Now I'm 167. I put on 7 pounds in the past few months, and I'm shooting for 175 by July, at which point I will cut off the fat that comes with weight gain, and in the end I'll probably be about 170 with very low bodyfat.

Anyway, I used to find that losing weight was too easy. Now it takes effort to lose or gain, which is kind of weird. Granted I don't run 50+ miles a week anymore. . . . And steve: When you go to pump iron, you have to go to exhaustion. That is, keep lifting until it hurts. Then drink some water and do it again, and try not to puke. Whoever said no pain no gain was right. . . it wasn't easy from 125 to 160.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    When it comes to protein and mass gaining. Whey Protein is the best. I used to take 'designer's whey' brand, didn't taste too bad, and had loads of protein.

the other supp that is really hot right now is Creatine. I haven't taken any yet, but from what I understand, you really have t o drink LOADS of water while taking it, or else it is ineffective. Creatine is supposed to be *great* for increasing your mass quickly and efficiently.

Creatine not only increases your body mass, but supposedly it's brain food too, it gives your brain certain somethings that it needs to function more efficiently. according to a fairly recent study.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

the other supp that is really hot right now is Creatine. I haven't taken any yet, but from what I understand, you really have t o drink LOADS of water while taking it, or else it is ineffective. Creatine is supposed to be *great* for increasing your mass quickly and efficiently.

Creatine not only increases your body mass, but supposedly it's brain food too, it gives your brain certain somethings that it needs to function more efficiently. according to a fairly recent study.

Creatine isn't really that effective. Basically it allows your muscles to store more water so they can "go harder." So you have to go psychoid at the weight room when you're on creatine. When you go off creatine, your muscles go back to normal. (though you may have put some mass on)

If you do decide to go with creatine, get the stuff in the liquid form. The powder is nast, and it makes your pee smell like something awful.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    I tried to eat massive amounts for a week a couple of months ago because someone told me to just stuff myself and I was guaranteed to gain weight.

Guess what?

I lost 3 pounds in that week.

(no joking)

my metabolism must be messed up
  • Reply 11 of 86
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    WTF???

6' and 125 lbs, 5' 10" and 110/128 lbs? Males? That's not right. I'm a 5' 9" female and while I haven't weighed myself in years I'd guess I'm about 110-115 lbs. And I think I could do with adding a few pounds.

You should get a check up. Blood tests. Something.

But way to go BR. Ya just gotta love those endorphins.

[Cue music] Don't cha stop, don't cha stop, don't cha stop, don't cha stop.....if it makes you feel good.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i work out 4 days a week. treadmill (walking) , elipitcal machine, weight machines. sometimes i play tennis too, but it's hard to find people to play with. i'm 5'-8 1/2", 170pds. i could lose a few pounds in the gut, i've lost 7-8pds since october 2003
  • Reply 13 of 86
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've been working out regularly for the last 4 months. My weight isn't a problem, it's that it was distributed wrong. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and just lift. I'm 5'9" and about 155. That's about average for my size. I'm just working on cutting some of the fat and adding muscle in its place.

I'd do more running and/or sports playing if my knees would cooperate. I've got a reconstructed*4 right knee (ACL injuries) and a somewhat bum left knee. It's always a balance between knees hurting too much/good endurance, knees fine/shitty endurance. I can't be active enough to build up my endurance without paying the price in my knees. :/

BTW, I love having my iPod at the gym. It makes it bearable.

edit: anyone have any bright ideas for reducing the gut? I've been doing crunches and my upper abs are fine, but right around the belt line, I've got about an inch or two I'd like to get rid of.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've been trying to reduce how much I eat these days. Take only a small amount, no more than one plate, and don't go back for seconds. No between-meal snacks. That sort of thing. It's difficult at first because you have to let your stomach shrink down to a more normal size, but hopefully I'll get to the point where I don't have to eat nearly as much in order to get full.

I'm also working on things other than changing my eating habits. I sleep more now than I have in months. It's really very nice.

And finally, there's exercise. I'm finally getting back into exercising regularly now that it's warm outside. Biggest thing is that this summer I may have a job doing construction work. I'm just imagining getting paid to do hard physical activity all summer. Hopefully I'll get all buff by fall.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

Hopefully I'll get all buff by fall.

For the ladies eh?
  • Reply 16 of 86
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    6' and steady at ~ 165 for the past year or two.

I bike everywhere I can, so much so that I haven't insured my car for a couple years (though we have another one that I use when I have to). Most of my buddies work out a lot, but I stay pretty solid in shape just from working on projects and biking. I don't really have time to go to the gym or anything, but I have basically no body fat so it would only make my muscles more defined or a little bigger. The way I see it, why bother?
  • Reply 17 of 86
    "for most people" if you increase the amount of times you eat from 3 larger meals to 5-6 smaller meals you will increase your metabolism and burn more calories. be conscious of what you eat and try to balance out your protein vs. carbs. also, eat till your full, don't stuff yourself. combine that with regular exercise and you will begin to see results pretty quickly.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

So I just got back from running a mile. Don't know the time but I doubt it was a very good time. I'm just happy I was able to do it without stopping once and without having my heart feel like it's trying to beat out of my chest. I'm absolutely loving all the extra energy I've had since I've started losing weight. I'm now down 50 pounds since November. I think I'm also getting addicted to the gym because I definitely get fidgety when I don't get a chance to go for a few days.

How I wish I reacted to exercise this way.

I managed to lose 50 lbs, and stay a fit-and-trim 175-180 lbs (at 6' even height) for over seven years... but I completely hated working out. I fell off the bandwagon after leaving a job where I telecommuted to work. The extra hour and a half of driving per day, plus losing the flexibility to take an exercise break whenever I wanted to, killed the pattern of exercise that I'd set up for myself.

I felt a little more energetic when exercising, and generally healthier, but not hugely so. I never developed any sort of adrenaline high that made me eager to exercise. The only thing I felt when I missed exercise was guilt... which has some utilitarian value for motivation, but it sure would have been nice to actually crave more exercise instead.

I really need to get myself back into shape and lose weight again, but I remember what it was like, and I dread it.

Now, I know there are a lot of people who can't help volunteering advice like "You've got to find something you have fun doing...", or specific examples of things they personally think are fun. I'm not trying to be deliberately difficult, but just trust me about this -- I've probably considered something like anything you're likely to suggest, and it probably won't work for me.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I started around 260 and I'm at 209 now. I'm trying to get to either a really built 180 or somewhere between 170 and 180. I'm 5'11".

Dude- Major congrats!

I'm getting back into it. I really hate working out as I'm going in the gym, but when I leave I feel great. (does that make sense?) I've started putting books on my iPod and listening to them while on the treadmill. If you have a good one, it makes the time fly by.

What's your routine? I have a great gym with lots of classes, so I go use the treadmill after work and do power yoga twice a week.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I am well muscled at 5'9 160 LBS exactly. Yesterday I ran for 40 minutes, but more impressively I ran 5 miles within that time period, I was happy with the 5 consecutive 8 minute miles.--Just try lifting after that.

I used to weigh 210 LBS at 5'9, needless to say I was an overweight kid. I lost 50 LBS through running and eating well. Hey, it can happen. Dedication, positive mind set, consistancy.