Adium 2.0!! Err, I mean "Adium X 0.50"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

For Adium, one thing I don't like is that there is no border on the Buddy List window, which I have gotten used to on the iChat, the fatness of the window... also,where do i set buddy icon?

In your Address Book.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'd like to be able to put the buddy list in the lower corner of my screen and then it extend up instead of down, but it's not that smart. Wish they'd fix that.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, no ICQ=no deal for me. although fire is anemic in a lot of areas, at least it connects to the protocols people i talk to use.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    alcimedes, I'm not at my computer so I'm not entirely sure if this will work, but I believe when you create a new account, one of the options is "AIM/ICQ" or something along those lines. Since ICQ and AIM seem to work together pretty well, maybe you can actually use your ICQ number when creating a new AIM account.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Yes, the AIM network supports ICQ; so, I would suggest trying the AIM/ICQ account option.

I've never used ICQ. So, I'd like to see if this works for you, alcimedes.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    hmm, sounds like a plan, i'll give it a try, let you know how it works out.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    bdonnbdonn Posts: 28member
    ICQ options works great.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Last night I registered an ICQ number and added the one person I know who uses the service to my buddy list. Worked fine.

I am wondering - are they planning to add some sort of message or progress dialog for file transfers? I have sent a few files, and it's awesome that Adium can now do that, but it would be nice to have some sort of confirmation. Even just a message saying "Your file was sent" so I know it was.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    File transfer is literally brand new. It's just over a week old and the bare bones are just in place for interfacing with Gaim's file transfer code. Getting a real GUI hooked up for it is on the to-do list.

Since Adium is open source, one of the reasons (I suspect) for publicizing the 0.50+ builds is to rally a little more developer support. Previously, you would only find these new 2.0 builds if you actively went looking for a new version of Adium because Adam had specifically not wanted the underdeveloped versions to be floating around sites like MacUpdate and VersionTracker, giving Adium a bad name.

So, if anyone out there wants to get their feet wet with a little Cocoa programming, snag the CVS and poke around in the code. Several of the Adium developers got their first start with Cocoa by tinkering with Adium's source. Adam and the gang would gladly accept any new submissions to squash bugs or add features like this that people would expect.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    icq worked like a charm. (that's where all the real tech folks are anyway).

two things. where do i get hte domo-kun icon for adium, and where's the strong bad chat window option?

good stuff.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Do either Adium or Proteus have the same amount of compatibility (or more!) of AIM X? Mac AIM itself is pretty crappy with compatibility and with each "update" it gets buggier. For example it frequently hangs on quit, hangs out of the blue, or two weird issues I've seen: 1) takes a while to get Info. 2) rarer: the mouse button "hangs". Only on my external mouse, when I hit the trackpad it unclicks. Anyhow I had never even considered Adium before because I file transfer every day. Thanks for the input.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Do either Adium or Proteus have the same amount of compatibility (or more!) of AIM X? Mac AIM itself is pretty crappy with compatibility and with each "update" it gets buggier. For example it frequently hangs on quit, hangs out of the blue, or two weird issues I've seen: 1) takes a while to get Info. 2) rarer: the mouse button "hangs".

Ugh, people actually still use that piece of trash program? I've never seen those problems with Adium. User info always pops up instantaneously as I scrub over my contact list (it appears in a tooltip).

I don't know about Proteus 4's features. It's supposed to be released this week. Someone else can make a thread about Proteus if wanted.

Here's a quick rundown of Adium's features (mostly from just skimming over the preferences). I've italicized the features that AIM does not offer and put in bold the features that are basically the same as AIM's.
    • multiple simultaneous accounts in AIM, ICQ, Gadu-Gadu, Jabber, MSN, Napster, Trepia, and Yahoo

• contact list combines duplicate entries from using multiple accounts

• when using multiple accounts, can select which account to send from when opening a new chat window

• address book integration for contact list aliases and icons

• built-in spell checking and access to other services (like any true cocoa app)

• contact info window (shows status, profile,and icon)

• contact list tooltip also shows current away message and icon

• customizable contact list appearance: background transparency, contact list font, font colors for each status, label color for each status, label gradient, label transparency, label outline, label around name only or entire width, borderless mode, no-shadow mode, horizontal and vertical auto-resizing, contact spacing, optional idle time, idle time color, optional status icon

• custom contact list sorting

• group contacts counter optonal

• option to keep contact list window on top

• saved theme files for appearance customizations

• sound sets

• dock icon sets

• customizable mix-and-match emoticon sets

• draggable tabbed chat windows (can be rearranged or dragged off to new window)

• account profile

• contact alerts

• event bezel (pops up like the system's volume, eject, and brightness bezels)

• saved away messages

• custom idle time

• set away message after specified idle time

• idle message

• speak messages and names

• message logging and built-in log viewer with live search field

• sending and receiving of files (but no progress indicator yet)

• receiving of inline images (but no sending yet)

• system statistics and iTunes info scripts (inserts things like uptime and current song)

• customizable (optional and replaceable) WebCore message view

What does AIM offer that Adium doesn't?
    • stock ticker

• news ticker

• e-mail notification

• advertisements

• folder file sharing

• log encryption

• proxy server support

• sending inline images

• file transfer status indication

• insert text as hyperlink

• a huge text input block (Adium's grows and shrinks dynamically like iChat's)

• import/export settings

• contact notes (but is almost complete and to be added "RSN")

That's all I can think of right now. I'm tired and I've got other work to do. Download it and give it a try. It's free; so, you've got nothing to lose.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Brad, you seem to be very into this program, did you have any role in the development?
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

where do i get hte domo-kun icon for adium, and where's the strong bad chat window option?

Here (scroll down a bit) and here, respectively.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    edit: sorry, redundant post...

I like the strongbad email theme, where can I get it?
  • Reply 36 of 54
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK I just tried Adium out. Niiice.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I've been using Adium 2 (X, whatever) for about four months now as my full time client and I love it. Highly recommended.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    hey everyone...

i made the strongbad messageview. glad people seem to like it... you can download it here.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by paularms

hey everyone...

i made the strongbad messageview. glad people seem to like it... you can download it here.

good jeeeeeaaarrrrrrb
  • Reply 40 of 54
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Well, I've been converted from Fire to Adium X. Adium X has personality. Personality goes a long way.

Barto