Steve Jobs Whacks Rob Glaser of Real Networks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Everyone seems to be jumping on this Jobs is an idiot binge, so I am going to assume you guys know something that I don't If some one could point me to the link where it gives the exact details of this partnership or where real said that it would not take the licensed fairplay tech and build its own digital device. Thanks

Yeah

Um, there are no "details" other than what Glaser said in his email. Jobs did not accept his invitation to meet to even discuss the potential details.

Pretty arrogant of him, huh?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Jobs is one of the most arrogant people I have ever witnessed evidence of.

His platform is so insignificant in the big world people often act surprised that Apple still makes computers, but he wants to act like King Shit because he can sell a lot of mp3 players?

Jesus, no wonder Apple's marketshare and mindshare is tinier than his penis must be.

Rough day today, groverat?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Jobs is a smart man, arrogance when at the top is justified. Sort of like BR.

But seriously, I know enough to to know that I dont know anything about the behind the scenes and in depth situation that this must be. I'm sure there are two sides or more to every story, this one being no exception. Steve has reasons, Glaser has his reasons, everyone has reasons and stories and conflicts, it's just the way it is.

Everything looks so easy from the outside looking in. "This is a huge mistake!" Well, maybe it is, but we arent the professional business people being paid to know if this was the right decision for Apple or not.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't see how this could be a GOOD deal for Apple. Consumers will say, "Oh, Real's service can play songs on the iPod now? Heck, I'm not using iTMS anymore!"

And that's the end of iTMS. Sure, they might sell some more iPods, but I imagine the people who want to stick with Real's service will just buy a cheaper mp3 player.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Keeping the iPod closed is very smart for Apple, business wise and there is no compelling reason right now to "open" it.

That is not my point.

My point is that Steve Jobs is an egomaniacal cockbiter with an overinflated sense of his place in the technology world.

Pixar is great, but it was headed for greatness before he got there, it is great partly because he has almost no involvement with it at all. Apple he revitalized (1) because the Mac userbase is a cult of personality and (2) he knows computers.

But let's not act like he's immortal here, remember the cube? Flower Power iMac?
  • Reply 26 of 35
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Pixar is great, but it was headed for greatness before he got there, it is great partly because he has almost no involvement with it at all.

WHAT!? Jobs co-founded Pixar. He, no doubt, is responsible for pulling Pixar out of Disney's clutches (or rather Eisner's mittens, shall we say) and rightly so.

If your going to have issues have them with facts rather than pure bile to back them up!!

Screed
  • Reply 27 of 35
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat:

My point is that Steve Jobs is an egomaniacal cockbiter with an overinflated sense of his place in the technology world.

Pixar is great, but it was headed for greatness before he got there, it is great partly because he has almost no involvement with it at all. Apple he revitalized (1) because the Mac userbase is a cult of personality and (2) he knows computers.

But let's not act like he's immortal here, remember the cube? Flower Power iMac?

STEVE JOBS

75% Genius

25% Idiot

C,
  • Reply 28 of 35
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

STEVE JOBS

75% Turtleneck

25% Jeans

C,

• Reply 29 of 35
    screed:

Jobs has little to do with Pixar's creative process.

He may have gotten them out of the Disney deal, but guess who got them in it?

macbot... engage!
  • Reply 30 of 35
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

STEVE JOBS

75% Turtleneck

25% Jeans

C,

He must have very short legs.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

He must have very short legs.
    [/QUOTE]

Well you know what they say about guys with short legs...

they are 25% pants.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

He may have gotten them out of the Disney deal, but guess who got them in it?

Getting them in it was brilliant. Disney's distribution empire helped put Pixar on the map. Naturally Disney got the better end of the original deal. Now that Pixar is able to stand on its own name, it deserves a bigger part of the cut. Disney wasn't willing to do that, so Pixar said adios. Both actions were the perfect move.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I think Mikey Dell stole groverat's account

• Reply 34 of 35
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Actually, you know what? I can't believe I didn't notice that Steve was only 25% pants until now. I mean, look. It's pretty obvious if you know what you're looking for.

• Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

[B]Getting them in it was brilliant. Disney's distribution empire helped put Pixar on the map.

No, Pixar's fantastic movies put them on the map.

Brother Bear got the same "distribution empire" backing and went nowhere.

Jobstron unite! Form of, sycophant!