Beat your wife

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"beat your wife" said the Iman of Venissieux (suburban aera of Lyon, France). Some times ago, the Imam of Venissieux declared in a religious newspaper that the Coran allow man to beat their wife. Women are not equal of the man he also said.

This Imam will be expulsed back to his countrie : Algeria. The french secretary of state declared that this public speech was dangerous for the public peace, and was against human rights especially, women's ones.

This imam was living in France since 1978. Others french religious leaders, said that the man was crazy, and that nothing in the Quran sustained his thesis.

Good riddance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I love happy endings.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    at cards. Beat her at cards.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    beat your wife to having an orgasm ....umm...I'll be getting my coat.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

beat your wife to having an orgasm ....umm...I'll be getting my coat.

HAHA
  • Reply 5 of 41
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Which wife?

Some interpretations of the Koran in the ME allow for up to four wives.

Perhaps a tag-team match where all the wives piledrive the Imam a few times would help clear his mind.

Maybe instead of expelling him from France they should force him to marry Lorena Bobbit.

A little emasculation might go a long way towards karmic justice for such barbaric views.

Extremists who overgeneralize are always, always wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Which wife?

Some interpretations of the Koran in the ME allow for up to four wives.

Perhaps a tag-team match where all the wives piledrive the Imam a few times would help clear his mind.

Maybe instead of expelling him from France they should force him to marry Lorena Bobbit.

A little emasculation might go a long way towards karmic justice for such barbaric views.

Extremists who overgeneralize are always, always wrong.

He also preach for polygamia, and the generalisation of Islam in the entire world, but said he was against terrorism.

The sad part, is that in an other town a woman was beat by her husband and brothers (hairs burned, strikes ...) because she did not want to wear the weil. This small fringe of french islam is disgussing.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    There is a verse in the Quran that apparently allows this.

IIRC, the passage deals with discipling a disobedient wife, and the translation is something like "to banish them to separate beds, and to scourge them."

Scourge, as in "to beat the heck out of."

The Imam is taking a cue from his scriptures. It's the scriptures that are misguided.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    the bible has just as many antiquated doctrines, probably more, but christians have managed to rise above them, even fundamentalist christians.

the problem with sending this imam back is his ignorance may flourish and foster more ignorance.

there are (were?) imams in afghanistan who have convinced their followers that american women do as a matter fact wed dogs.

american men aren't that bad....yet

edit=(were?)
  • Reply 9 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

the bible has just as many antiquated doctrines, probably more, but christians have managed to rise above them, even fundamentalist christians.

Well, most. I was raised in a church where beating your wife was considered just spiffy if she didn't follow your holy law. Jehovah's Witnesses, if anyone's interested.

It was never a matter of official church doctrine, but it certainly wasn't minded, and plenty of Bible verses were available to justify it.

Then there's the whole blind eye to child molesting... but of course we know it's not just the fringe groups that have had that problem.

Using religious quotes written for a culture two millennia ago and a hemisphere away to justify atrocities is the zenith of hypocrisy and the nadir of humanity.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Using religious quotes written for a culture two millennia ago and a hemisphere away to justify atrocities is the zenith of hypocrisy and the nadir of humanity.

Islam isn't 2000 years old.

A lot of people confuse cultural values with religious beliefs just because the people practicing them try to uphold both at the same time.

I, for one, would love to see the Bible verses, Old Testament or New, that could be interpreted to justify Wife Beating or Child Molestation. I imagine a fair amount of contortionism would have to be applied to any Bible verse to justify that.

My point is that the verse in the Koran is right there in the open.

Not hidden, not really open to misinterpretation.

And the idea of that verse is just plain wrong.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    It's funny when one religious nut makes fun of the scriptures of another religious nut.

*sits back and watches*
  • Reply 12 of 41
    I love you too BR.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Here is a link on that silentlamb site that explains what happened to Anders:

DISFELLOWSHIPPING OF ANDERS

Now I see why he has changed his ways . . . . strange, never thought the two were bedfellows
  • Reply 14 of 41
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    emasculation? ahh!!!!!!!!! that would suck, some people deserve it, but, still, that would suck!
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Is this Anders from here at AI?

While we're derailing the thread terribly, this is the first I've heard of it.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
  • Reply 17 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Islam isn't 2000 years old.

Why assume I was talking about Islam?

Quote:

A lot of people confuse cultural values with religious beliefs just because the people practicing them try to uphold both at the same time.

I, for one, would love to see the Bible verses, Old Testament or New, that could be interpreted to justify Wife Beating or Child Molestation. I imagine a fair amount of contortionism would have to be applied to any Bible verse to justify that.

Not really. Any time you convey infallibility on a human head, as many fundamentalist churches do upon their leaders (Elders in the JW hierarchy), you leave the congregation open to abuse. "It is God's will, He told me so..."

Quote:

My point is that the verse in the Koran is right there in the open.

Not hidden, not really open to misinterpretation.

And the idea of that verse is just plain wrong.

Plenty of verses in the Christian Bible aren't any better.

Leviticus 19 & 20 are a couple of beauties. Most any sexual taboo is to be met with death.

Exodus 22:18: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

Numbers 30, indicating that a husband has complete control over a wife's life, including "Every vow, and every binding oath to afflict the soul, her husband may establish it, or her husband may make it void." (Numbers 30:13)

Deuteronomy 24 that outlines single-sided divorce by the husband, leaving the wife as unmarriable.

There's plenty of good things in the Christian Bible... but it has to be acknowledged that there is plenty of left over crap as well. Just like Islam. Neither religion has the moral high ground.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

Sure, superkarate monkeydeathcar, like the christians that oppose the use of condoms, blow up abortion clinics, and think that homosexuals will go to hell?

Fundamentalist christians are just as bad as fundamentalist muslims.

I knew I shouldn't venture into AO...

Escher
  • Reply 19 of 41
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Right on, Wrong Robot. This is like my little Beat The Toilet thing a while back.

"Sorry, my wife isn't here right now... she's out buying some D batteries. I beat her again tonight. Bad."
  • Reply 20 of 41
    "Oh, my... she's on to D batteries now? -- You must beat her often."