How often do you use your Backlit keyboard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When I first got my powerbook, I was totally in awe of the excellent design regarding the backlit keyboard. Not only did it turn on automatically based on ambient light, but the lights were very clear, bright, and the way that they are laid behind the cutout letters, it's a very great design.

However there was a flaw. The keyboard is a beautiful shade of aluminum, not only does it blend in perfectly with the body of the computer, but it also just looks amazing on it's own. The backlights are white, but since they are controlled by a dimmer, lower settings yields a light grayish colored light that barely permeates out the cracks of the thing.

So, after I got over the initial 'wow' I started to get annoyed by the keyboard, often times in the late afternoon, it would turn on unexpectedly, but only about halfway, creating a mixture that near perfectly blended into the color of the keys, and made it *far* more difficult to see anything at all!

On top of that, when I use my computer late at night, the brightness from the screen was always enough to clearly see the keys(which are a deep black when the light is turned off)

So, I never really used the backlight, occasionally, it'd turn on late at night, but it never really helped or hindered my typing.

However. That said, Right now I am typing this message in the perfect conditions for this backlight. I just found that if you rock the display all the way back, then the light from the display doesn't light up the keyboard, and it creates a nice viewing angle for the way I am sitting right now, so it's win-win. The backlight is helping me *tremendously* right now, and I'm really glad I have it.

So, I'm curious, how often do you alu 15" and alu 17" owners use your backlights?(if you have them)

Personally, I think apple has a really great Idea and they should incorporate this into all their keyboards some way or another. Particularly the black pro keyboard(do they even still make a black pro keyboard?) I so wish the old black keys could light up, that would have been so excellent. So often I'd find myself typing in the dark in front of my old iMac, straining to see the keyboard, wishing I had some form of lighting on it.

I doubt we'll see a backlight in the wireless keyboards, needless power drain, which is kind of lame because wireless keyboards are more likely to be away from the monitor(light source) that would light them in low light conditions.

Well, It would be neat if apple offered different color backlights, but maybe that'd be too tacky, I hear it's pretty easy to lay a piece of cellophane down to change the color, it'd affect the brightness too, probably a useless novelty.

eh? what time is it, I gotta go to bed!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I use it almost nightly. My sleep is incredibly tied to light levels, so at night I have to dim the ambient lights or I'll never go to bed. The later it gets, the more I dim... and about 11pm or so, the keyboard light and auto-dimming of the screen are *perfect*.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I use it and like it. Using it right now as I type this (GF is sleeping). But then again, i have had a PB for less than 2 weeks. so its still a novelty to me.

• Reply 3 of 23
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Learn how to touch type.

But seriously, I recommend a PodiumPad by Contour.

http://www.roadtools.com/podium.html

It not only keeps it cooler by keeping it not flush with your desk but it also angles the keyboard at a much more comfortable angle (adjustable). You'll feel awkward without it after a while. They pack up easily so you can take it with you without much hassle unless your bag is ultra thin.

It also elevates the screen so it is more dead on.

I assume it would reduce the screen-light-turing-on-the-sensor thing too.

Oh, and it swivels so you can turn it a bit to show someone something or if you are on the phone and not near it.

I have one at work and one at home. Biased opinion.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, people who don't know how to type the "right" way will have problems with it sometimes, but for those times where it's completely dark and you need to fish for the home row of keys or type an F key or something...it's great!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't use it at my desk anymore, as I finally bought an external keyboard (but I'll tell you this: Apple should make their Pro keyboards have the lighting because now, frankly, typing in my darkened room at night is a pain-in-the-butt because I can't see the keys on my Apple external keyboard.

But when I'm sitting on the couch or someone else with the PowerBook and the lighting condition calls for it, I really enjoy the lighted keyboard (so much so that it's made me yearn for the feature I mention in the previous paragraph).
  • Reply 6 of 23
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

So, I never really used the backlight, occasionally, it'd turn on late at night, but it never really helped or hindered my typing.

Great question, Wrong Robot. Even though I was hoping for more negative answers since I am upgrading to a 12-inch PowerBook that does not have the backlit keyboard.

Anyway, I touch type quite well in the dark and the light from the LCD of my iBook is usually enough to find the occasional special character. So I will be just fine with my new 12-inch.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 23
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I should note, I am a good typist. I,generally, don't need to look at the keyboard at all. However, that's like, once I'm on a roll. ya know? I often need to look down and kind of...get started before I can just keep typing. And it's those instances that happen more at night than in the day partially because at night I'm usually not just sitting at my computer(doing homework, brushing teeth...etc.) So, even more so my computing is interrupted and I need to check out what I'm doing again.

On top of that, This is my first laptop, and wile I think the keyboard is absolutely brilliant, It's still a little getting used to compared to a regular full sized keyboard.

and, when typing in web-forums, brackets come up a lot for me when it comes to [url= and such, and, even though they come up a lot I still am not totally fluent in their use.

Side note, has anyone noticed how sharp the edge of the speaker grille is? like, behind the keyboard, above and to the side of the speakers, at the base of the monitor, the two edges there are very sharp.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    gigawiregigawire Posts: 196member
    every night
  • Reply 9 of 23
    There's something I don't get. Are the keys on the backlit keyboard black all the time? Or are they silver, with a light shining through when it's dark?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The latter. The 'black' is just a clear area.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Would anyone care to post a picture of the backlit keyboard in action? I am not sure whether or not to get it and have never seen it work. It was too bright to get it working at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Does anyone look at their keyboard anymore? I just touch-type as i go along, and it's extremely effective.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Does anyone look at their keyboard anymore? I just touch-type as i go along, and it's extremely effective.

It is about orienting yourself with the keyboard, not about looking at the keys as you type.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

It is about orienting yourself with the keyboard, not about looking at the keys as you type.

Enh, for some people. My dad (62 years old) still does the hunt and peck method with the dual index fingers.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Would anyone care to post a picture of the backlit keyboard in action? I am not sure whether or not to get it and have never seen it work. It was too bright to get it working at the Apple Store.

I posted a picture of it in action in this thread on page 35:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...&pagenumber=35
  • Reply 16 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It's really not necessary for me, because I can type pretty well. It really is a novelty feature after you get used to the powerbook keyboard, which I will say, while very nice, took me a while because it looks like a regular keyboard, but it just doesn't feel like a regular keyboard.

I turned the automatically adjust backlit keyboard and screen off, as I want complete control.

The neat thing about the backlit keyboard though, is that someone sitting across the room, when you puss down a button, light emanates from around it, so it looks like keys are lighting up as you press them.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I don't use it very often, but it helps sometimes and other times it is an actual hindrence. On a recent plane trip i had to turn it off as i couldn't fold the screen back too far (sardine class seating) and the light from the screen made the lighted letters blend in with the keys. In that case, off was much more visable than on. In my case I woulnd't miss the function, but it has its uses under certain circumstances as others have pointed out.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

The neat thing about the backlit keyboard though, is that someone sitting across the room, when you puss down a button, light emanates from around it, so it looks like keys are lighting up as you press them.

You gotta wonder what sources Steve and company drew on for inspiration...
  • Reply 19 of 23
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

[B]You gotta wonder what sources Steve and company drew on for inspiration...

Pedophile feet?

I got a PBG4 15" for one of my designers to use at home. He really likes the backlight feature. It is especially useful when doing Keynote presentations in very dark lecture halls. No more distracting halogen lamp on the podium.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

You gotta wonder what sources Steve and company drew on for inspiration...

Probably the fact that when it's dark it's hard to see the keys?