Should I get a tattoo?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Subject says it all.

Anyone here have them?

I haven't really decided if I want one or not, but I've been thinking about it for a few years now.

A lot of guys that I work with on fire departments have them, and no, this isn't just a peer pressure thing. It's kind of like a brotherhood thing.

Anyone have horror stories to try and scare me away?

If not, any suggestions as to what I should get, I'm thinkin upper back, either in the center or off on one of my shoulders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    Tattoos are gross. Permanent scars, willfully applied. My signifigant other has one. I tried to see if I could scratch it out of his arm one time, but only because he said "you hate it, but it's not like you'd try to scratch it out of my arm." Didn't work, sadly.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

...this isn't just a peer pressure thing. It's kind of like a brotherhood thing.

Nothing like making a claim, and then contradicting it without even realizing it in practically the same breath.

Feeling like you want to join the "brotherhood" by doing what they do -- that's peer pressure, alright.
  • Reply 3 of 89
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Tattoos are gross. Permanent scars, willfully applied. My signifigant other has one. I tried to see if I could scratch it out of his arm one time, but only because he said "you hate it, but it's not like you'd try to scratch it out of my arm." Didn't work, sadly.

Oh man, funniest post I've read in a while.
  • Reply 4 of 89
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Tattoos are sooo 1993!!!

unless you live in the midwest which is about a decade behind+ the times.

Tattoos are idiot-cool

I would hate to have something on my body that I know I would be aware of every second, constantly self-consciouse . . . even if it was 'in a good way' like feeling 'cool' . . . wondering, or wanting people to see it and think this or that because of the tatoo . . . thinking 'hey tattood dude over there look at me I got one too' or whatever . . . ugh what a waste of mental energy . . and there is never enough of that stuff to waste!!

and also:

I have tried new clothes on that I thought would make a good strong statement and then found myself wishing that I could go home and change . . . too often that has happened . . . I would hate to have that happen with something so hard to remove
  • Reply 5 of 89
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    If you did get one, it would have to be on the "fire" theme. Flame on!
  • Reply 6 of 89
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    We've probably assured that he'll get a tattoo by now -- all he's heard so far is objections from commie pinko liberals
  • Reply 7 of 89
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Tattoo a cross to your forehead.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Tattoo a cross to your forehead.

• Reply 9 of 89
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

We've probably assured that he'll get a tattoo by now -- all he's heard so far is objections from commie pinko liberals

Nothing like the AO Politburo to motivate one to action. Works every time.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Tattoos are sooo 1993!!!

That's exactly when I got mine- and I got it in the midwest on a trip back to visit a friend.

To be honest with you DM, I'd say don't do it. I don't regret mine horribly, but I don't think it was the best decision I've ever made.

If you do get one, make sure that it is a design that resonates with you. I chose a Frank Lloyd Wright design. So at least I didn't choose something that I'd have to change to "Wino Forever"
  • Reply 11 of 89
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    If you want to get a badass pirate/biker/lumberjack tattoo, that's fine.

If on the other hand you want a tattoo to "express yourself" by "being different" (just like the others in your peer group who gave you the idea), don't bother.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Hmm, at the risk of sounding old-fartish...

If you're an "artiste" of any kind, a biker, a gang banger, a carny working the circus, or just want fit in with "crowd", go for it

If you don't continue to do any of the above job descriptions for the rest of your life, chances are good that at some point you will think to yourself, "why the hell did I do this..."

My great grandfather fought in the trenches of France in WW1. He was a tough SOB whom lived to be 101. No ink.

My grandfather fought in WW2 and is a survivor of the Bataan death march. He lived to be 95. No ink.

My father fought in Korea and was one of three men to survive from his battalion. He's still kicking ass. No ink.

I served in the first farce, err, Gulf war. There was a lot of peer pressure in my unit to get tatted to show I was part of the "brotherhood". They are still my brothers to this day and always will be. However, I didn't ink up and no one could force me to do so...
  • Reply 13 of 89
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Here's how I see it:

Fashions change. The hairstyles, lingo, and clothes that make a generation feel badass eventually become an embarrassing mark of lameness to the kids that come next.

A lot of the cats that got tats over the last 10 years are going to be, or are, parents.

What do you think happens when their children associate tattoos with their parents? Right. Hopelessly lame.

Except, instead of being able to take your daughter's advice and get some glasses that don't make you look like a dork, you're faced with painful laser removal treatment and subsequent scarring.

Nothing that is subject to fashion should be permanent. Just imagine if those 80's hairdos had been carved into people's heads.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Here here...
  • Reply 15 of 89
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Just got my third, all original designs.

• Reply 16 of 89
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    That you're asking opinions makes me believe that you shouldn't.

I have four, inked between 1989 and 1997, and have not one regret about having them. I would've had a couple more, but my artist died suddenly, and I wanted my tattoos all to have a uniform style and technique.

Spend the extra bucks (even more than you'd think) to hire a high quality artist--even if you believe your design is simple. Visit tattoo studios in your area to see samples (usually a gallery book) and maybe a quick consultation. Don't drink alcohol ahead of time--it thins the blood and the ink will bleed out (there is blood).

There is a certain amount of acceptance on your part that this will be permanent, and because of this, it behooves you to pick a design that you'll always not mind having. Laser removal is expensive and the result, to me, appears worse than the tattoo.

Good luck, and your tat can be reminder of the camaraderie you've had at this time in your life.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    I know one unfortunate guy, (now a senior Queen's Council Lawyer) who in his youth got his girlfriend's name tattooed on his arm.

He's been married for 30 years (not the woman named on his arm), and he gets shît about it every morning

Permanent reminders of temporary stupidity...

Want a relatively painless trial pattern which is temporary? try Henna...

Good for simulating the design and test-flying an idea, but disappears in a week.

Not that some folks aren't pushing ink at younger and younger audiences... TattooBarbie
  • Reply 18 of 89
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member

• Reply 19 of 89
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i've got two, a jolly roger, and a steal your face (i dont have exact pics anymore, but the gis is close enough), on either arm. the syf has a slight alteration, depending on the light you look at it, a joint or a cigarette hangs out of his teeth. i'm gonna get another one probably before summer.

tatts are really cool. unbelievably cool. but, u shouldn't get it just for others though. after a few days or so, everyone you know will have seen it. then its still there. then its there just for you. most of the people i know don't ask to see 'em so much (except, for whatever reason, my close friends who can't get enough). i really love em tho, so i make a point of wearin short sleaves, so atleast i can ogle em. and i think i read somewhere, or one of the artists told me, that the majority of people regret their tattoo less than a year after getting it. i've been lucky in that regard, but u should keep it in mind. on the one hand, a fireman-related idea is cool now, but if u decide in six months/years to become an investment banker, it'll be relatively strange.

something else that shouldn't be discounted is it does hurt. a lot of people try to downplay the pain, cuz they are tough guys or what have you. its certainly not the worst pain ever, but its persistent for a while. then, the natural endorphins kick in, and the pain subsides. at which point, you'll remember that there was pain, and it'll come back, or the artist will go over a bone. you might want to scope out an area on ur body that has a fair amount of muscle/fat covering any bone. cuz bone hurts in particular.

you should definitely do some investigations about any nearby tatt shops. ask the firemen around u where they got theirs, and if they liked the place(s). when u go in, make sure they get a new needle, make sure the artist washes his hands, wears sterile gloves, and all that health stuff. u can try pitching the idea to several shops, and get prices from them. if a shop is particularly cheaper, u should be suspicious, they might be cutting corners on the sterility stuff.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    admit you want this one