Transportable Mac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was browsing MacOSRumors and came across comments from two readers saying they want an easily transported Mac that is bigger than a laptop and AC line powered. Here are a few remarks from one of the reader's. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

"Seems, that every effort is being made, to pack power into a fragile, miniaturized envelope, now aptly named "laptop." To me a laptop, although very convenient at times, could never be a serious tool."

"Yet I would love to have a solid machine, where all major components can be folded-up and carried with relative ease from the office to the home, or even to clients. Believe it or not, even in Africa all those places have electricity!"

"As all the parts are already existing, all that would be needed is an innovative package for that "transportable G5." Well - just dreaming!"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I can't really see Apple doing this except from perhap a cross between a G5 and a cube (a squashed G5 with handles).

It must be a niche market tho.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    When I first read this idea, I pictured a flat panel all-in-one that might be the next iMac. The difference would be that it could be folded up and put in an optional carrying case, along with the keyboard and mouse. Also, the folding would allow it to be flattened when not in use, making it less conspicuous.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    In about a year it will be called the PowerBook G5 17".
  • Reply 4 of 27
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

In about a year it will be called the PowerBook G5 17".

you know it!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Anything bigger than a Powerbook 17" will be too big to carry around. But I do agree that the PB is a bit crippled. IMO, Apple should've added L3 cache and a brighter LCD backlight to it's PB's. The screen could automatically dim and the L3 cache can automatically be disabled when running on battery.

Of course if the next PB is a G5, then the L3 cache will be unnecessary.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I can't fathom a real reason for a "transportable" Mac.

It sounds more like people want a PB heavy duty, thick, heavy, and noisy like some of those high-end Dell machines.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    The LCD iMac is kind of transportable. You can grab it by the chrome arm.

The old CRT iMacs had a handle for transportability, as did the original Macs (what we now call "compact Macs"). The eMac does not have a handle; it is just too big.

The problem with using 17" Powerbooks as desktop replacements is that the screen is attached to the base. A 17" iMac has a wonderful arm, a faster hard drive, an easier-to-use tray optical drive, and a full-size keyboard. And it costs less. (We expect a 1.5GHz model any day now, so processor speed will be equal.)

Someone probably makes fitted foam cases for transporting iMacs already, if you're going to be bumping over African roads.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    As I recall the original Macintosh had a bag to transport it too:

• Reply 9 of 27
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Something like the FragBox?

• Reply 10 of 27
    stealthriderstealthrider Posts: 126member
    Or maybe something like this? The Original Mac "Luggable"!

• Reply 11 of 27
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

Something like the FragBox?

It is a pretty box, but the system as a whole is not transportable per-say
  • Reply 12 of 27
    resres Posts: 711member
    There is definitely a market for the "desktop replacement" style powerbook, and I'm all for a 2GHz G5 monster laptop like the 3.5GHz P4 behemoths.

I don't want thin and light, I want performance. My wallstreeet g3 was nearly 2 1/2 inches thick, and with the extra battery and assorted modules and other goodies my laptop bag weighed in at around sixteen pounds. It was a great machine.

I'm pretty sure that Apple could cram a 2GHz G5 into a 17" powerbook it they doubled its thickness and let the weight increase to the 10+ pounds. It would fit my needs perfectly, and I know that there are a lot of others out there that feel the same way.

There is a reason that companies on the PC side make thick, heavy and powerful laptops as well as sleek and thin ones. A lot of people needs are better satisfied by a huge desktop replacement, and I really wish Apple would get on the bandwagon and add one to their lineup.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

There is a reason that companies on the PC side make thick, heavy and powerful laptops as well as sleek and thin ones. A lot of people needs are better satisfied by a huge desktop replacement, and I really wish Apple would get on the bandwagon and add one to their lineup.

Personally, I really hope not. There is a reason PC makers do it - it's called cutting corners. The fact that Apple does not do this is something that sets them apart from the crowd (not that all the other things they do don't, but this adds a bit more onto it). If you have a laptop with a battery, then you're always going to be wanting to use it away from your desk - e.g. in bed, or on the couch.

The Apple range offer good performance, more than you'd need for the average use, and do so at a reasonable price (12" iBook through 17" PB, they cover pretty much the whole range of people). If you need more than that, then odds are it will be a G5 and a large screen - you're not really going to want to consider the equivalent of a 3GHz P4 in a small box, with a slower laptop HD, and major heat problems.

Apple laptops now are about the right sizes, I think, and they should be kept as they are - with upgrades happening in the same thicknesses etc.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    andrewmandrewm Posts: 50member
    I believe that Apple might make one of this--if only it could. Subtract the screen from this tiny unit, and with what are you left? A compact G5.

Yet Apple needed to make the current G5's case absolutely enormous--larger than my old 450 G4, which wasn't so bad. I assume that in this compact, you would want two hard drives (probably full-size, rather than mobile ones) for backup on the go, in case one breaks down, or for more storage for video and such--and dual processors, as video editing is better with two. You'll want a high-end graphics card, as well. You'll likely want a SuperDrive for further backup and possible distribution.

This "desktop replacement" equates to a desktop G5, save for a lack of internal expansion slots. I should gladly have purchased one, and Apple probably would gladly have made one if heat weren't an issue. Even with mobile drives at a slower speed (not as good for video editing) and a single processor, the heat generated would be enormous in such a compact casing. Apple would have more of an edge on the competition if they could produce a desktop machine that performed as well as any other but proved half or a third the size of the competition.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I like the FragBox.

To me, can the iMac and eMac as we know them. Replace the eMac with 'FragBox' a Cube. A nice white cuboid with handle and an Apple chrome logo on the front. Certainly, we know Apple can make a sexier shuttle, right?

iMac replaced with imac mini tower. (You know. The Alu mini-G5 pic that was doin' the rounds...)

Both could be portable and durable.

People can get what monitors they want.

But hey, it's too flexible and sensible. I can't see Apple doing it.

Yeesh. The who eMac. Certainly not transportable. And what will it look like when the don't make 17 inch CRTs anymore?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

Personally, I really hope not. There is a reason PC makers do it - it's called cutting corners. The fact that Apple does not do this is something that sets them apart from the crowd (not that all the other things they do don't, but this adds a bit more onto it). If you have a laptop with a battery, then you're always going to be wanting to use it away from your desk - e.g. in bed, or on the couch.

The Apple range offer good performance, more than you'd need for the average use, and do so at a reasonable price (12" iBook through 17" PB, they cover pretty much the whole range of people). If you need more than that, then odds are it will be a G5 and a large screen - you're not really going to want to consider the equivalent of a 3GHz P4 in a small box, with a slower laptop HD, and major heat problems.

Apple laptops now are about the right sizes, I think, and they should be kept as they are - with upgrades happening in the same thicknesses etc.

I didn't say that Apple should stop making the slim line of powerbooks, I just want them to add a desktop replacement model to their lineup. And the desktop replacement PC laptops are not big and heavy because they are "cutting corners," they are big and heavy because they have to be to put in a 3.4GHz P4 with an 800MHz bus and great video card - if you want power, you need the space for the parts and extra cooling.

There are a lot of people (including myself), that move around too much to use a desktop system, but need as much computing power as possible. We don't care about the sleek sexy look of our portable sistems, we just want as much power as possible in a mobile system.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewm

I believe that Apple might make one of this--if only it could. Subtract the screen from this tiny unit, and with what are you left? A compact G5.

Yet Apple needed to make the current G5's case absolutely enormous--larger than my old 450 G4, which wasn't so bad. I assume that in this compact, you would want two hard drives (probably full-size, rather than mobile ones) for backup on the go, in case one breaks down, or for more storage for video and such--and dual processors, as video editing is better with two. You'll want a high-end graphics card, as well. You'll likely want a SuperDrive for further backup and possible distribution.

This "desktop replacement" equates to a desktop G5, save for a lack of internal expansion slots. I should gladly have purchased one, and Apple probably would gladly have made one if heat weren't an issue. Even with mobile drives at a slower speed (not as good for video editing) and a single processor, the heat generated would be enormous in such a compact casing. Apple would have more of an edge on the competition if they could produce a desktop machine that performed as well as any other but proved half or a third the size of the competition.

The 3.4 GHz P4 produces more heat then a 2GHz G5 and the PC side can put them into a laptops. If the PC companies can do it, there is no physical reason why Apple could not put a 2GHz G5 into a portable system.

And no one expects multiple full sizes hard drives in a portable computer. Just give me something like this modified 17" powerbook:

17-inch TFT Display

1440x900 resolution

2GHz PowerPC G5 w 1GHz frontside bus

512K L2 cache

512MB DDR400 SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA/100 @ 5200rpm

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128MB DDR)

Backlit Keyboard

Gigabit Ethernet

FireWire 400 & 800

AirPort Extreme built-in

DVI & S-Video out

Double the current thickness and bring the weight up from 6.9 to 10 or so pounds and price it at $3000 -- If they had something like this out right now I would buy it today, and so would a lot of other people in the music business.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    trevordtrevord Posts: 85member
    Forget "desktop replacement laptops". I think it should be more of a cross between a laptop and the current iMac, but not marketed as a laptop at all. Market it like a desktop machine with some extra features.

Like a desktop:

- Full-size, full-power components (i.e. full speed)

- Fully adjustable monitor (iMac style, connected to CPU)

- Full-size extended keyboard

- Relatively low price

Like a laptop:

- All components connected together (keyboard/monitor)

- Includes trackpad on keyboard

- Contains a battery

Since this is just a "luggable", rather than a "laptop", the battery isn't intended to keep you working while unplugged. When you disconnect the power, the computer automatically puts itself to sleep, and will re-awaken as soon as you plug it back in. The battery only has to be big enough to keep the computer going, in sleep mode, for one or two hours... long enough to get to the next power outlet.

Meanwhile, when the computer is plugged in, it's just the same as a desktop... which is a much nicer experience than working on a laptop.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I'll refer everyone to my "least likely in the next year" thread. I hope Apple never releases a "headless" mac though, unless it's a work of art like the Cube.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    you have one of those threads ipodandimac? funny, haven't seen it. linkage?