Why did you switch to Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Inspired by this thread http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=41323. Why did you switched to the Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Wow, you left out a few important options. I'm editing your poll...

Sheesh, "just learned that microsoft has been copying the Mac OS"? Can you actually be serious? \
  • Reply 2 of 34
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Inspired by this thread http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=41323. Why did you switched to the Mac?

Oh my God, are you a real person or some long time member's version of a practical joke?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Whatever quaqmire is he's funny! " just learned that microsoft has been copying the Mac OS"
  • Reply 4 of 34
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I knew that Microsoft has been copying Mac OS since I switched to Mac. I switched because of a friend. I just used it as an option. Also, I want to point out to Brad, that I already put always have been a mac user as an option.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Brad, can you take away quagmire's poll starting ability until he learns to use it wisely?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Brad, can you take away quagmire's poll starting ability until he learns to use it wisely?

... and have quagmire call him "corupt" again? I'm not sure Brad can withstand that kind of attack!

I'll second that mini-ban idea.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

I have a better idea, just ban him... you would cream in your undies wouldn't you? Geez some of you around here need to grow up.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Okay, children, enough picking on quagmire. Let's at least try to stay on the "switching" topic.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    honestly, what threw a switch over the top for me was 2 years ago when I heard X was uniX, and even then I was leary, but the nail in the coffin, for me was panther, and expose, here in windwos land, i could use that 20 times a day.

not switched yet but HOPE to have an ibook by the end of summer!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

I have a better idea, just ban him... you would cream in your undies wouldn't you? Geez some of you around here need to grow up.

I have never said a bad word against him til this thread. Polls, like everything else, tend to lose their salience when every other thread is one and some, like this one, needs to be a forced choice, not a multi-choice poll for it to make ANY sense at all. Anyway.....

Because OS X is UNIX. I love it.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

--snip--

Because OS X is UNIX. I love it.

Because OS X is like UNIX.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I switched to the Mac because Apple stopped developing the original Apple OS, I believe after the ][gs.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I hated Windows/Microsoft, wanted to start video editing, and loved the hardware design.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    After Steve came back and reinvented the company, my wife let me buy an iMac for the family. At the time I had several boxes of PC parts in limbo. If it was not for the iMac, we would still have those boxes of parts.

One day I finally said enough is enough, and tossed those boxes out for trash. The vultures picked them clean and not one scrap was left for the trash man. There were enough parts for 7 PC's all 486 and original pentiums. I had used an Apple II in high school and my friends in college, but never had the money to choose.

Almost all of those parts came from family and other donations, I bought some on ebay, after the iMac went online.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Because OS X is like UNIX.

um...osx IS unix. it is BSD with a kick ass shell and cocoa and aqua and quartz so unix is only a part of it but it is most defenately unix, if it wasnt unix, just unix like, then the mass flood of unix geeks and developers to mac wouldnt be happening, not to mention some of the linux guys eyeing and some switching to apple, and once osx gets full linux software compadibility, oh boy, watch out they will be flying off the shelves
  • Reply 16 of 34
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Always have been a Mac guy, always will be. Never owned anything else because I've never had a reason to.

OS X is just the icing on the cake, best OS ever. (Not just Mac OS). I loved Macs before, and I love 'em even more now.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    i switched to Mac, because i do alot graphic design

-Neø
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

um...osx IS unix. it is BSD with a kick ass shell and cocoa and aqua and quartz so unix is only a part of it but it is most defenately unix

Sorry, but \\/\\/ickes is right.

UNIX was an operating system developed by Bell Labs. Apple doesn't even claim that Mac OS X is UNIX; it says Mac OS X is UNIX-based. You have to be certified by the Open Group to officially say that you have a UNIX OS. Apple has not sought this.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Sorry, but \\/\\/ickes is right.

UNIX was an operating system developed by Bell Labs. Apple doesn't even claim that Mac OS X is UNIX; it says Mac OS X is UNIX-based. You have to be certified by the Open Group to officially say that you have a UNIX OS. Apple has not sought this.

Semantics. It's UNIX for our purposes.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    EXPOSE! LOL. Just kidding.

When it comes down to hardware, PowerBooks take the gold... Videocard, screen, harman Kardon speakers, and of course... Backlit keyboard...

All of it is just so yummy, ...! I'm planning on switching to a mac, within the next week... The only thing I'm regretting is the lack of games for a mac.

Oh yeah, and one other thing that got me wanting a mac was watching Pirates of Silicon Valley... a must-see for all computer users... After watching it, I kinda lost what little respect I had for Bill Gates...