Well, I've got a collection of PCs:

1) Pentium 2.4C on an Asus P4P-800 Deluxe

1.0 GB PC3200

80GB WD hard drive

Pioneer slot-loading DVD reader

Generic DVD burner

ATI Radeon 7500

Onboard Gigabit ethernet, and Linksys 10/100 ethernet

Planar 17" LCD (had a Dell 2001FP and 2000FP dual head, but those were just sold tonight!)

Gentoo Linux

My current workstation, soon to become my fileserver.

2) Dell 600SC server: Celeron 1.8GHz, Serverworks GL chipset

3 x 80GB WD disk drivers

CD rom

Headless - current fileserver, I access it only with SSH

Gentoo Linux

Soon to become a spare PC in my office.

3) PIII-800 on an Asus CUSL-2

40GB WD HD

Two CD burners

256 MB ram

Samsung 17" LCD

Win 98

My wife's machine

4) Athlon 1700+ XP on MSI K7t-266RU

500MB Ram

40GB WD HD

CD-Rom

nVidia GeForce 2 MX

NEC 18" LCD

Win XP Pro

My son's gaming machine

5) IBM Thinkpad 770ED

Win98

My wife is taking this laptop away from me to use herself.

6) DELL Pentium II 266 - I've had this for almost 10 yrs now. I paid as much for this (about 2500) as for all the above desktops combined!

7) So, where's the Mac: Well, after about 10 yrs (my last Mac was a PowerMac 8500) I'm about to buy a G5; I still haven't settled on a monitor, but have it narrowed down to either the Apple Cinema Display 23" or the new HP L2335.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    I use a PC, a Medion

2.4 ghz Pentium 4

512 mb RAM

120 gb HD

128 mb Radeon videocard

DVD rw

DVD rom

firewire, 5 memorycard readers ETC ETC

I don't actually own a Mac

*ducks*
  • Reply 44 of 50
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I really want a thinkpad.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    Thinkpads are great. I've owned 5 of them and they take the abuse better than any other laptop I have seen, including my Powerbook.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

Thinkpads are great. I've owned 5 of them and they take the abuse better than any other laptop I have seen, including my Powerbook.

I had one in the mid or late 90s that had the fold out keyboard. For a variety of reasons, that thing must have fallen off of the desk 30 or so times and you could never tell. I bet you it's still running somewhere today.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    Ah. The butterfly keyboard. That was a thing of beauty.

If I remember correctly the butterfly keyboard was from the early 750's. Never had one of them but to this day I still lust after one. Oh ebay here I come.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

That's what baseball bats are for

I've done it before, and I'll do it again.

A few friends and I dusted off our shotguns, got liquered, and went out to the family farm to shoot some skeet. We went through two boxes of pigeons fairly quickly and all that was left was an old pc from work so we decided to put it out to pasture. Six shells of copper shot and that sob showed only minor dents. We had to unload both barrels of steal shot to do any damage. We eventually tore it to pieces but for an ugly biege box it put up quite a fight. I wonder how my fathers G3 tower would hold up? He's planing on getting a G5 soon I wonder if he'd let me give it a proper funeral?\
  • Reply 49 of 50
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    PCs are definitely fun to build.

Right now I'm running a slightly aged, but nicely tweaked, P4 1.6 Ghz box, Epson scanner, a new Plextor burn-everything-under-the-sun drive, ~160 GB of HD space, 19" monitor, Altec Lansing 5.1 audio, etc. for home use (little Photoshop, little gaming, etc.).

In the summer I'll do "The Big Upgrade" - PCI Express, decent case and PSU, high-end vid card, beaucoup de memory, dual monitor rig and strip down the current box for spare bits.

I'm on a somwhat-anemic-for-OSX 1.25 G4 at work but it looks like G5s are on the horizon!! Knowing my company however, they'll probably spring for them 2 weeks before Apple refreshes their line...

Anyway, I'm actually quite surprised at the number of Apple Users here that own PCs. And crikey hardhead... that little god-rig must have set you back a couple o' nickels...

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Concord, it did. It came down to either upgrading the tires/wheels/audio sytem on my ZX, or putting this bundle of joy together. I spend more time gaming than I do driving Red.

This will more than likely, if Apple continues to deliver, be my last PC. I can see down the road maybe upgrading the graphics card. Maybe.

However, I'm really looking forward to replacing my Thinkpad with either a 15" or 17" PowerBook.