Xbox2 = 3x3.5 GHz PPC *confirmed*

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

This chip is going to have way more problems than the PPC 970 did I'll imagine. It's supposed to have 3 cores, and one of them an ATI designed GPU, or something like that. It sounds like a pipe dream got away from somebody. BIg time!

Did you follow the link? The graphics core is located on a quite regular GPU. AFAIK the 970 didn't have any problems. IBM's been doing multi core CPUs for ages, and i think the POWER5 MCM is quite a bit more complicated than this 3 core CPU.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Calling Mulder...

Calling Meader...
  • Reply 23 of 26
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

90nm is here and only hit snags due to the implementation of new technology.

If it's here...why is it on my desk right now? Just because there has been a trickle of 90nm G5 in Xserve form, doesn't mean "it's here". It'll be here when consumers can get them in sufficient quantities.

Right now there's a problem with yields so we have to wait.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Well that's that's the first time I've ever agreed with a myth. (KKS)
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Look at THIS: http://bbs.gzeasy.com/index.php?showtopic=149175

The "confirmed" block diagram of the Xbox 2. It will have a tripple core PPC running at 3.5+ GHz, and each core seem to be hyperthreaded (POWER5 derived?). No integrated memory controller though. 84 GFLOPs per chip..

Triple core does not mean 3x3.5 Ghz!

And if it only has one chip, then 84 GFlops PER chip is a stupid statement to do...

On top of that, this is anything but a confirmation... A can make a drawing too you know.

*Debunking*
  • Reply 26 of 26
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Triple core does not mean 3x3.5 Ghz!

And if it only has one chip, then 84 GFlops PER chip is a stupid statement to do...

*Debunking*

Huh? You're making no sense in your rush to disbelieve.