New iTMS features ***CONFIRMED***

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    Now if Apple were to add in the capability to broadcast your music to Shoutcast servers that would be awesome. This update is cool nevertheless though...
  • Reply 62 of 90
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    fyi, looks like my 2nd gen. iPod can't play the new lossless format.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

fyi, looks like my 2nd gen. iPod can't play the new lossless format.

There is a update to the iPod. I am not sure if it is for 2nd gen iPods but there is an update out for iPods.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Ok, maybe iMix isn't as cool as I thought. Unless I use the link Apple sent me, I can't see my own iMix. I read that there was already 5000 of them, but when you go through iTunes front page, iMix I only come up with 150 or so.

What am I missing about this, I want to see the selections of other people, and not just Apple approved lists.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Right. WMA files that are unprotected and only on Pee Cees.

I wonder if it's possible to buy licences from MS to make a music player that plays protected music. If so, and the licence price is per-installation, it would make sense for Apple to make an iTunes plugin that costs enough to cover the licence. That would do 10x more for switchers than the current WMA import.

Also... why does the WMA import not work on Macs?
  • Reply 66 of 90
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That's pretty stupid that they're cutting off 2G iPods from even being able to play the new format. I don't expect I'll use it, but all I ask is the same basic functionality as a new iPod. I couldn't care less about any of the features added, but at least Apple added support for AAC files for older iPods. Why not also add support for lossless format as well?
  • Reply 67 of 90
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

That's pretty stupid that they're cutting off 2G iPods from even being able to play the new format.

You shouldn't be so fast to call this "stupid". It may well be that there's simply a limitation in the older hardware that prevents Apple from putting a decoder for this new lossless format on that hardware.

I think it's pretty amazing that old iPod hardware which only did MP3 at first was upgradable to AAC after-that-fact. Apple has certainly taken the trouble to make iPods upgradeable for new codecs, but there's only so much you can properly anticipate when you're trying to future-proof a device.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Real Fast User Switching

For Mac users, iTunes 4.5 now takes full advantage of Mac OS X Panther fast user switching, so you don?t have to quit iTunes to switch users on your Mac. Even better, you don?t have to maintain two separate libraries, either. iTunes figures it all out, so you can manage your music with ease.

Does this mean that each user shares one big library now? I mean...if I add a song to my library other users can see it too? This was the biggest problem I've ever faced since I have 4 people using a single computer in my house. Thank god I have my own. But they have tons of duplicate songs because they can't see what the others have. If anyone can understand what I've been babbling about, please tell.

Edit:

Oh yeah, and Party Shuffle is real nice. I like to do stuffle anyways in my main library, and this what I can see what is coming next. Great idea Apple!
  • Reply 69 of 90
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I like the little eject button with inserted CDs.

It's the little things.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I believe there are two different iPold updates available. One for the early models and one for the dock compatible ones (iPod and mini). Check the Apple download site.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

I like the little eject button with inserted CDs.

It's the little things.

... and iPods/shared music servers. So handy!
  • Reply 72 of 90
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I wonder if it's possible to buy licences from MS to make a music player that plays protected music. If so, and the licence price is per-installation, it would make sense for Apple to make an iTunes plugin that costs enough to cover the licence. That would do 10x more for switchers than the current WMA import.

Also... why does the WMA import not work on Macs?

Maybe you missed the bazillion threads about allowing wma to play in iTunes, especially protected wma.

The gist is that it's a bad idea.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I wouldn't be too sure that is the codec being referred to as Apple Lossless. I guess we'll know soon enough but I think it's something different.

Apple's MPEG-4 exporter won't allow me to use the "pass-through" option to put it in an .mp4 container either, but I wouldn't read too much into that. Still, I'm not sure it's MPEG-4 ALS either.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Earlier iPods will not support the lossless format. This is from the download page:

Quote:

About iPod Updater 2004-04-28

iPod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. To take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store, you must install the software in this updater.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector

- Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store

- Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini

- Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store

- Improved playback performance

- Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

• Reply 75 of 90
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    How do you make the album artwork? I don't see it.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

How do you make the album artwork? I don't see it.

"Print..."
  • Reply 77 of 90
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

"Print..."

I tried everything but that...
  • Reply 78 of 90
    In 4.5, in the song info box that displays song/artist/album name and play time, the new arrow to the far right of the box...what does it do? I can't figure out the functionality of it if my life depended on it.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. John Zoidberg

In 4.5, in the song info box that displays song/artist/album name and play time, the new arrow to the far right of the box...what does it do? I can't figure out the functionality of it if my life depended on it.

Snapback./ While browsing other playlists you can hit that to jump back to the current song.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    Ohhhhh, okay. I feel stupid.