Apple lossless codec and iTMS

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

That won't cover the bandwidth increase and associated costs.

I'm talking about what the record companies charge Apple. They don't care about the bandwidth costs.

Add that in, and you're up to the price of a "hot" CD.

Quote:

That also doesn't seem likely as many albums are alreaady approaching the mid-teen dollar range.

Some are. And it's possible that the labels will actually be that clueful, although I'm not as generous in my estimation of their common sense as you seem to be. They've talked publicly about jacking the price of singles up, though, so don't be surprised if they start playing with a $2.49 - $2.99 price. If they charge Apple $2, as I speculated, .49 - .99 should cover Apple's expenses for one song...

I don't expect this plan to survive one meeting with Steve Jobs, but I'm certain that someone in the big 5 is pitching it already.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    sn1persn1per Posts: 6member
    I work at a recording studio where everything is originally cut to tape. From there we dump it to pro tools and back to 1/4" for mastering. Do not forget about tape compression.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    I sure am glad that my ears aren't significant to pick up on these subtleties, because I'd hate to feel like I needed to bring it up every single time people talks about digital music.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aimakesmeyawn

I sure am glad that my ears aren't significant to pick up on these subtleties, because I'd hate to feel like I needed to bring it up every single time people talks about digital music.

It's a curse \
  • Reply 25 of 29
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The bandwidth though will be expensive. Long songs, 2:1 compression, big files. I'm not sure how Apple is going to handle that.

If apple was concerned with bandwith they probably wouln't have added movie trailors and more music videos to the musc store, for free.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

If apple was concerned with bandwith they probably wouln't have added movie trailors and more music videos to the musc store, for free.

They were already doing these, so consolidating them in a paid environment isn't a big deal. A lossless codec will create files 5 times the size of what they are now. Expensive.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    ok

i just transferred van halen's song "mean streets" (from fair warning) from aac to the new apple lossless codec and it went from like 3+ megs under aac, to 36.9 megs under the new lossless codec:

size: 36.9 MB

bit rate: 1029 Kbps

sample rate: 44.100 KHz

sample size: 16 bit

thats a pretty fat file!
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

ok

i just transferred van halen's song "mean streets" (from fair warning) from aac to the new apple lossless codec and it went from like 3+ megs under aac, to 36.9 megs under the new lossless codec:

size: 36.9 MB

bit rate: 1029 Kbps

sample rate: 44.100 KHz

sample size: 16 bit

thats a pretty fat file!

You need to rip it from the CD into AL not AAC to AL since AAC is lossy. There's ZERO gain in converting AAC/MP3 to Apple Lossless.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    thats what i did Mac Write, i guess i should have said "ripped" instead of "transferred" lol i just deleted the old aac songs from itunes and re-imported them from the cd using the lossless codec which i have set as the default for importing.