A "what if" buying decision: 17'' Display w/12'' PB or 15'' PB?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Assuming that the prices were the same, let's just say the final total would be $2400 what would you opt for. Here are the specs...

PowerBook (12'')

1.33 GHz G4

80 GB 5400 RPM

512 RAM

64 MB Geforce 5200 MX

17'' Apple Display-with connector

---or

PowerBook (15'')

1.5 GHz G4

128 MB Radeon 9700

80 GB 5400 RPM

512 RAM

Backlit

Which set-up would make you happier?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    do u only get the 17" monitor with the 12"?? if that is so that would definitely be my choice. when i think of a portable device it should be very compact and easy to carry around, i find the 12" an awesome size and the slight difference in mhz, video card and backlight are definitely minor. 12" all the way!!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

do u only get the 17" monitor with the 12"?? if that is so that would definitely be my choice. when i think of a portable device it should be very compact and easy to carry around, i find the 12" an awesome size and the slight difference in mhz, video card and backlight are definitely minor. 12" all the way!!

Interesting perspective. I am reconsidering my PowerBook 15'' purchase, which is kind of funny because of the thread I started. I cancelled my order to think it over. So, I'm grasping for ideas, and trying to figure out what I really need and what is the best value for my dollars.

Yes, the 12'' PB and the 17'' Display is one option, the other is just the loaded 15'' PB.

I am going to Penn State University, and am going to be taking 14 credits this summer to get an early start, as I am trying to finish my degree in 3 years by doing all the summer sesssions at the main campus. What is the best computer for a student at PSU? A student that is double majoring in Business Marketing and Film.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Wow, a little off topic but I would be very interested in hearing about double majoring in business and film, because I want to do the same thing.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Wow, a little off topic but I would be very interested in hearing about double majoring in business and film, because I want to do the same thing.

Haha, what is it that you want to know? Just IM me at dhuge67.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    I got my 15" PB on Wednesday, Messiahtosh, and I'm very content. All my friends who have Apples own 12", but most of them said if they could have afforded a 15", they would have purchased one. The 12" is less expensive, but the 17" display is not. When I bought my 15" PB, I knew I'd be plugging it into my 17" VGA monitor, but the 12" really is small for video editing, assuming you will be using it for that. I'd suggest 15". It honestly does not feel all that much larger, but the screen size is so much larger, it makes it work it to me. Work space is key.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Assuming that the prices were the same, let's just say the final total would be $2400 what would you opt for. Here are the specs...

PowerBook (12'')

1.33 GHz G4

80 GB 5400 RPM

512 RAM

64 MB Geforce 5200 MX

---or

PowerBook (15'')

1.5 GHz G4

128 MB Radeon 9700

80 GB 5400 RPM

512 RAM

Backlit

Easy decision, I'd go with the 15" powerbook. Not only is it more powerful than the 12" but you get to take the extra screen real estate with you wherever you go, unlike the 17" apple display. Not to mention you can always add an external display for the 15" at a later time if you really feel you need it.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    get the better video card with the 15... who knows maybe you will win the lotto or something and can add the 17 later... but you will NOT be able to upgrade the computer...
  • Reply 8 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

PowerBook (12'')

1.33 GHz G4

80 GB 5400 RPM

512 RAM

64 MB Geforce 5200 MX

---or

PowerBook (15'')

1.5 GHz G4

128 MB Radeon 9700

80 GB 5400 RPM

512 RAM

Backlit

Since the Pbook is gonna be your only computer at college, I say the 15" route. The specs are better, and, while the 12" would be preferable for just taking class notes and giving presentations, the screen size when your at home would be an issue. I'm all about simplicity, and having to plug in a monitor every time i wanted to use my computer productively would drive me crazy. Also, you'll probably finding yourself using the wireless network more than you think, whether its from your couch or a library, and all that time will be spent only on the Pbook screen. I cant decide between the 12 or 15 for myself, but my Pbook will *hopefully* be in addition to a desktop, so the situation is different. I say get the 15" now, then try to get a 17" or 20" display down the road.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I completely agree with the previous post, Messiahtosh. Given your interests (and the fact that you've mentioned this PowerBook seeing you all - or most - of the way through college, I liked your approach of going balls-out and getting that 15" with the 128MB graphics and 5400rpm drive.

I wouldn't have canceled that order!

And ipodandimac is right about something else: wireless networks are only getting more widespread, so you'll find yourself using your PowerBook AWAY from your desk so much more (I know I do!), so why not enjoy 3 more inches of screen (nice and wide for palettes) in the process.

Re-instate your original order, goofball!

If all you did was take notes and just needed a small, capable computer...sure the 12" rocks. But you do all that video stuff, so I'd imagine - especially as the years roll on throughout college - you'll appreciate the faster hard drive and ATi 128MB graphics and larger screen (and lighted keyboard when you are surfing wirelessly) that the 15" offers.

If I was going buy a PowerBook today, I'd get the 15" SuperDrive model and bump up the graphics to 128MB and get the 5400rpm drive.

The 12" and 17" are totally righteous machines (and I'd be proud to own any of the three PowerBook models), but in my situation - and probably yours - the 15" just seems the best fit: all the perks and frills the 12" lacks, in a more compact, luggable size than the 17" (and about $300-400 cheaper too!).

Just my 2¢...
  • Reply 10 of 33
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Great advice ipodandimac

I was struggling with the very same question, but after having a play with the two today, I think having the 15" to start with then adding a screen later (cost permitting) is the best way, I didnt think I could live with the 12" for a year or so when I was mobile etc.. the 12" is perfect for some, as is the 15" and the 17" , different strokes for different folks.. always a tricky choice.. I agonized for a long time, just need to put my order in (xtra vram and 5400rpm) and get mobile around the house... g5 desktops be damned !
  • Reply 11 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If I had about $4,000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get the tricked out 15" I talk about above (128MB graphics and 5400rpm drive) AND the 20" Cinema Display.

And never leave the house...
  • Reply 12 of 33
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    I bought a 17" iMac for college and i totally love it, but i decided really needed the portability of a laptop, so naturally i was in the same pickle deciding between the 12" and 15". I decided the 15" route is better, because of all the same reasons mentioned earlier by other replies.

My question is: Is the 128 Video Memory upgrade really worthwhile? Will that only benefit me if i get a larger external screen down the road?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Have you ever thought about the possibility of having your laptop stolen? I don't think it's a big deal if I'm consciencious enough about protecting it, but still.\
  • Reply 14 of 33
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'd vote for the 15" as well, considering your needs.

I'd also vote for putting this in the proper forum for purchasing advice.

*click*
  • Reply 15 of 33
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

who knows maybe you will win the lotto or something and can add the 17 later.

I think if he wins the lotto he will get the 23 inch screen.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I think if he wins the lotto he will get the 23 inch screen.

I would actually just get the 12'' and the 17'' PowerBooks, along with a dual 2 GHz G5 and a 23'' screen...if I won the lotto.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Have you ever thought about the possibility of having your laptop stolen? I don't think it's a big deal if I'm consciencious enough about protecting it, but still.\

If my laptop or iPod got stolen, I would hunt the thief down and there would be a serious ass-whopping. So yes, I have thought about that.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

You can get locking mechanisms for your notebook. That's what the lock thing is on the side of the PBs. I believe you put some kind of cable through it and lock it to something, so if anyone really wants it, they have to work way to hard for it to be worth it.

Either that or just make sure you lock your room whenever you go out, than again, that's always a good idea in college. You avoid a lot of trouble that way.

[/speaking from experience]
  • Reply 19 of 33
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

PowerBook (12'')

1.33 GHz G4

80 GB 5400 RPM

512 RAM

64 MB Geforce 5200 MX

---or

PowerBook (15'')

1.5 GHz G4

128 MB Radeon 9700

80 GB 5400 RPM

512 RAM

Backlit

lol who cares what would make ME happier... what would make YOU happier? :P

I like laptops & all for portability, but I never want to really sacrifice power---go with the ATI Radeon 9700, and bump it to 128mb :P (get a gig of ram)
  • Reply 20 of 33
    <<Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Have you ever thought about the possibility of having your laptop stolen? I don't think it's a big deal if I'm consciencious enough about protecting it, but still. >>

Definitely get theft insurance. Perhaps as a college student you can get an inexpensive rider on your parents' homeowner policy.

Also back up your data regularly and often. As further protection store at least one of your backups off site.