• Reply 22 of 66
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

No post counts is grrrreat!

I disagreed. I need numbers.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    but dosent postcount determine eligibility for a custom title?

EDIT: nm, saw its still being tracked in the profile.....
  • Reply 24 of 66
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    No post count is great , I don't see anymore that i am such a looser
  • Reply 25 of 66
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

No post count is great , I don't see anymore that i am such a looser

We still know it though

(Don't worry cutie pie )
  • Reply 26 of 66
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I've always felt that anyone who found status in online forums kind of sad. I'm not targeting you, CosmoNut... just found the quote relevant to the changes.

No offense taken. I do think, though, that someone's longevity here *can* be a good indicator of experience. Someone who's "been around the block" here may have a unique perspective on these forums, it's trends, and its history.

Honestly, who has a better idea of how AO's feel has changed? Someone who has 2500 posts but has only been here 6 months, or someone with 1500 posts who has been here for 2 years?

How many people remember when there was NO 'OS X' forum? When there WAS a 'Future Software' forum? When 'Genius Bar' wasn't called that?

I have always used the name 'CosmoNut' because that's what everyone knows me by. Yeah, I could have changed it long ago, because I don't use that name anywhere else but here. But that's what I've been, and that's what I will continue to be. I'm just trying to offer some perspective for those who think post counts are so important, or those who think that there is no reason to consider someone's longevity or status here.

I got a lot of mean comments from people when I started a thread long ago commenting on people's ages here. Apparently a 14 year old should be considered the same as a 35 year old. THEY'RE NOT! You don't know how often I click on someone's profile to find out how old they are, because their life's experience DOES have an impact on how/what they post here.

A lot of people give quagmire a hard time here, but I cut him a lot of slack because he's 14 and I'm 24. He hasn't experienced high school, college, or having a full-time job. In the same light, I am always interested to hear what those older than me here have to say. I don't have kids, so I like hearing murbot and other parents' perspectives on life, children, careers, and so on.

We're not just user names here, people. We're a blend of cultures, ages, genders, and more. Some have been here longer than others, and I think that's important to know. How many posts a person has seems a lot less important.

[/soapbox]
  • Reply 27 of 66
    No... Postcount...?

How.. Are we going.. To measure... Our.. Virility....Now...?

• Reply 28 of 66
    I thought something was missing...

A few words in defence of post counts (though I'm less bothered now than I was when I first noticed) - Looking at post count is useful when getting advice, especially when you're new and you don't know who to trust. A high post count is reassuring.

I think its gonna be harder to recognise people by name only. I dunno, name and post count somehow summed up people in my memory quite well... But as I said, it's no biggie really

And, "The Priveleged" still have their special sigs...
  • Reply 29 of 66
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    See, I think that how long someone's been here is a better indicator of who you can "trust." I would be much more comfortable asking someone a question when they've been here 2 years over someone who's been here 6 months, even if they have the same post count. But that's just me.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I can't believe there's a thread about this. \

I think my November 2001 is that time following the big down-time? I came here, originally, in January 2000 (right before the Macworld where OS X was unveiled) and AppleInsider had a black and turquoise design/color scheme.

Wow, four year-plus...minus a couple of blackouts.

I need a wife.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I recommend Ms. Vieira
  • Reply 32 of 66
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

How many people remember when there was NO 'OS X' forum? When there WAS a 'Future Software' forum? When 'Genius Bar' wasn't called that?

Ooh, ooh! I do! Anyone else remember the original Silicon Alley? Funny... even back then, Silicon Alley's address was forum #15.

Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I think my November 2001 is that time following the big down-time? I came here, originally, in January 2000 (right before the Macworld where OS X was unveiled) and AppleInsider had a black and turquoise design/color scheme.

Yup, most of us "old timers" have Nov '01 dates because that's when the forums finally returned from the great blackout and everyone had to register again. I'd been around since summer '99, registered October '99.

Date isn't the *best* indicator, but it's generally much better than post count. If you still want post count, just click the profile link. It's there and hasn't stopped ticking.

The only *true* status indicator is the quality of your posts. You get respect by earning it, just like in the real world.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Yup, most of us "old timers" have Nov '01 dates because that's when the forums finally returned from the great blackout and everyone had to register again. I'd been around since summer '99, registered October '99.

I had lost all hope, honestly (BadFlamingo was a mess) and didn't bother to check back until April 2002.

^^^^^ That image always makes me smile.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Is it possible to get rid of all display names as well? It would be fun to discern who is who by their posts. 8)
  • Reply 35 of 66
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Squint really hard.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Has the level of animosity increased in AO since the whole removal of post count or is it just me?

I honestly think that the members scan the post count to weigh the words of the individual poster, and right now, since there are enough sort of known individuals posting we are seeing responses that are embittered from both sides to arguments that would not ordinarily be considered...

Basically my point is that this lack of post counts is a strange social experiment that may have more negative consequences than simply vanquishing the post-whores...
  • Reply 37 of 66
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Ah, yes... JUST as I was getting to my 2000th post...

Well, at least this time its just post counts going offline.

Last time I was a few posts shy of 2000 the "Great Blackout?" occurred.

Having said that...

• Reply 38 of 66
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Buncha stupid whiners.

Not you guys in particular though!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Wait, where's my post count?

This place sucks! I'm starting my own forums.

Join http://www.appleinsideher.com ?
  • Reply 39 of 66
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    (simpson's "carl" voice)

"I used my post count to feel like a man.....I guess now I'll have to rely on my enormous genitalia....
  • Reply 40 of 66
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    <-

Hmm, Appleinsideher sounds vaguely erotic. I'm there!

As for post counts, oh well. I worked hard to get my nice title, and I was one of the first 100 to join "AI: Phase Two, Rise From The Dead." It's all good for me.