Gas prices are your fault

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Gas prices are not our fault. They are the fault of the greedy Oil cartel and oil companies who are setting record profits.

Actually, the rising price of crude seems to be due to the rest of world wanting to live like Americans. US gas consumption is still not too far above what it was in the late 70s (link). But a couple of billion people in Europe, China, India and the rest of Asia are starting to consume gas at an American pace. Global supply could (just) keep up with our demand for a while, but not the growing demand of the rest of the world.

Paul Krugman wrote about peak oil and changing global patterns of consumption is a recent NYTimes column. I think it's the first time such a high-profile commentator voiced these concerns in public. "The Oil Crunch"

But the price of US gas might be the fault of US oil companies who are shutting down refineries in order to create an artificial scarcity. And we thought no one learned anything from Enron and the California power crisis.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

that's strange because most SUVs and pick-up are ugly imo

Pick-ups don't have to be pretty; they are utilitarian. SUV's on the other hand, are an affront to good taste and the environment.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    crap. i was busy blaming china.

man, gotta update my calendar.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I ride the bus to work on a bus fueled by low sulfur diesel.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Ford taking away electric vehicles.

It failed to load.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Worked for me. There is like 3 ads and it uses realplayer.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Gas prices are not our fault. They are the fault of the greedy Oil cartel and oil companies who are setting record profits.

OMG! Did I just really read that? Greedy corporations, oh my!!! SDW...wanna job campainging for Ralph Nader this summer??

• Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

Last month I dumped my Dodge Ram quad Cab which got something between 12 and 14 miles per gallon and replaced it with my new Acura which gets 27 miles per gal in the city.

Do I miss the truck?

Not one bit.

Fellowship

Yup! I got rid of my TrailBlazer (more aptly named "FrailBlazer": what a piece of garbage!) about two months ago and picked up a M3. No, I'm not enjoying 27 mpg in the city, but I'm not suffering at ~14, either. More importantly, I've been able to work more and more out of a home office, which has reduced the number of miles I drive to approximately 60 a week!

Do I miss the SUV?

Hell, no!

-John
  • Reply 30 of 45
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

Yup! I got rid of my TrailBlazer (more aptly named "FrailBlazer": what a piece of garbage!) about two months ago and picked up a M3. No, I'm not enjoying 27 mpg in the city, but I'm not suffering at ~14, either. More importantly, I've been able to work more and more out of a home office, which has reduced the number of miles I drive to approximately 60 a week!

Do I miss the SUV?

Hell, no!

-John

HAHAHA Man you just made my day

Cool story!

Fellowship
  • Reply 31 of 45
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Blame Canada.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I think some of you congratulate yourselves a little too much just for driving a car. Oil is used for purposes other than driving and you benefit from larger machinery even if you don't own it.

Nick
  • Reply 33 of 45
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Gas prices are still too cheap.

Consider how many people you see alone in a vehicle in standstill rush-hour traffic.

Obviously if folks could not afford to drive, this wouldn't be the case.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Wow!

We totally agree!
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I think some of you congratulate yourselves a little too much just for driving a car. Oil is used for purposes other than driving and you benefit from larger machinery even if you don't own it.

Nick

Nick, you may very well be correct, however I must present the familiar adage "Every Little Bit Helps". Not to be too self-congratulatory, but this recent dramatic increase in fuel prices has also spurred me to re-examine my use of natural gas as a heating fuel. For example, Instead of cranking the thermostat up this winter, I started using more efficient localized space heaters when necessary.

Yeah, higher fuel costs are a pain, but if they cause people to be more efficient consumers, then there IS a bright side!

-John
  • Reply 36 of 45
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I drive a 1994 Dodge Caravan, gets about 22MPG in the city and close to 30 on the highway. Not great, but for a car its size, I'm not complaining.

And here is a little tip for those of you who really don't want to pay too much (like me)

I've gotten gas for 1.74 or below for the past few weeks, two weeks ago, I filled up at 1.66. Not bad, considering the prices right around me are upwards of 2.20 for regular.

GasBuddy

(For both USA and Canada)

And I also use a site called Illinois Gas Prices so if I were you, I would try [insert state name]gasprices.com, it's worth a shot. If you support the places that charge less, they can continue to charge less, it's win win.

Edited cause I'm an idiot
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:

Nick, you may very well be correct, however I must present the familiar adage "Every Little Bit Helps". Not to be too self-congratulatory, but this recent dramatic increase in fuel prices has also spurred me to re-examine my use of natural gas as a heating fuel. For example, Instead of cranking the thermostat up this winter, I started using more efficient localized space heaters when necessary.

Yeah, higher fuel costs are a pain, but if they cause people to be more efficient consumers, then there IS a bright side!

-John

Actually from what I have read, electric space heaters are terrible with regard to efficiency. It is just that they cost less for you to run than heating the whole house.

But the real, deeper question would be, why do you need such a large house? The median home size is about 2000 sq feet for ever smaller families. Plastics are made from oil. I don't see anyone advocating that stopped using plastics.

Someone can be driving a car that gets 30 mpg and patting themselves on the back, but if a family of 4-5 is living in a 1200 sq foot house, and a family of 1-2 are living in a 2400 sq ft house, they are just wasting energy in an entirely different manner.

Simplified living starts with more than a car.

Nick
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Actually from what I have read, electric space heaters are terrible with regard to efficiency. It is just that they cost less for you to run than heating the whole house.

But the real, deeper question would be, why do you need such a large house? The median home size is about 2000 sq feet for ever smaller families. Plastics are made from oil. I don't see anyone advocating that stopped using plastics.

Someone can be driving a car that gets 30 mpg and patting themselves on the back, but if a family of 4-5 is living in a 1200 sq foot house, and a family of 1-2 are living in a 2400 sq ft house, they are just wasting energy in an entirely different manner.

Simplified living starts with more than a car.

Nick

Correct! I used to live in a 2700 square-foot, two-storey house (in boring, "beige" suburbia). Simply ridiculous! Unfortunately, I subscribed to the "bigger is better" mantra -- you know, keeping up with the Joneses, Smiths and everyone else. It was sold on March 15th, and I'm now (VERY comfortably, I might add) living in a very cool 1260-square foot brick loft-style condo. No wasted space, there's enough room for my sleeping area, one full bath, office space, full kitchen and "living area". Plus, it enabled me to live in the city core, which gives me access to all manner of services within walking distance.

Look. I'm no poster child for Planet Earth, but I'm making an effort to get away from consumption-oriented personal goals. Having said that, I'm still enjoying myself!

-John
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

Correct! I used to live in a 2700 square-foot, two-storey house (in boring, "beige" suburbia). Simply ridiculous! Unfortunately, I subscribed to the "bigger is better" mantra -- you know, keeping up with the Joneses, Smiths and everyone else. It was sold on March 15th, and I'm now (VERY comfortably, I might add) living in a very cool 1260-square foot brick loft-style condo. No wasted space, there's enough room for my sleeping area, one full bath, office space, full kitchen and "living area". Plus, it enabled me to live in the city core, which gives me access to all manner of services within walking distance.

Look. I'm no poster child for Planet Earth, but I'm making an effort to get away from consumption-oriented personal goals. Having said that, I'm still enjoying myself!

-John

Of course there is no wasted space. Someone like you ought to be able to get by on 750-800 sq ft tops. Better yet, get a laptop and put your office in your bedroom. Then you are down to 500-700 sq ft.

My point is that there is always MORE that can be done. There are some people tossing rocks who have no grounds for doing so.

Congrats on simplifying more than what you drive.

Nick
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

Of course there is no wasted space. Someone like you ought to be able to get by on 750-800 sq ft tops. Better yet, get a laptop and put your office in your bedroom. Then you are down to 500-700 sq ft.

My point is that there is always MORE that can be done. There are some people tossing rocks who have no grounds for doing so.

Congrats on simplifying more than what you drive.

Nick

Heh heh! Appreciate it!

You're right -- there's always more to be done. I just wanted to find a happy medium, and I think so far I've been rather successful in doing so. It's working for me so far.

I certainly don't want to toss rocks here -- it's not my position nor place to condemn anyone for their personal choices. Of course, having said that, if more people simplified (I like that term!) their lives, maybe Alaska wouldn't have to be tapped for oil; maybe North America could be self-sufficient without any further encroaching onto virgin land.

Another $0.02,

-John