Coke adds GPS/Cell Phone to cans

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    You paranoid fellas just don't realize that you already have no privacy. It's just that certain companies choose not to sell the information they have to intrusive groups.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

You paranoid fellas just don't realize that you already have no privacy. It's just that certain companies choose not to sell the information they have to intrusive groups.

YES., I am not one for more laws but this is one area where we need federal legislation, If I pay the electronics store the price plus an install charge on a big screen tv, What the hell right is it of theirs to sell my address, and these warenty cards that come with every thing on earth, thos DB's are up on the block too - and I wonder just how private the purchases you make with your credit card are, I personaly pay cash for everything, it is all about anninimity baby, but in this case it is ok, I mean hell, if you win, theu collect your info, but in exchange, they GIVE you a friggen truck, cant argue with free wheels.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

So far, there is only one of these devices in existence. At least, only one that I know about, and I keep good track of these things, since I'm the fucker who invented it.

/stoo plays with the RFID tools in his office...

I wonder if they'll learn from Pepsi's mistakes and make the competition less scam-able? I assume that the cans are shipped "off" so EM detectors won't find them.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Echoing the sentiments above. You have far more to worry about with third generation mobile phones, becoming more popular in Europe. Many models have GPS built in, so unlike Coke knowing one time location ('sporadic tracking', as it is known), mobile operators in Europe can potentially know where their users are any time the phone is switched on ('mobile tracking'), to a degree of accuracy similar to a handheld GPS i.e. ~20m.

The privacy implications of this are far more pertinent, e.g. locationally sensitive advertising related back to your spending habits delivered straight to your phone.

I should know: I'm the guy who just wrote a dissertation about this
  • Reply 25 of 25
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Since Coke/Pepsi sells millions of cans monthly, I hardly think a cache of 100 customer names & addresses qualifies as a marketing coup.

Man, I wish I still drank soda.