Home on iPod

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
this is a killer feature for all macintosh iPod users. This is a brillant move.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    its still a rumor remember
  • Reply 2 of 29
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

its still a rumor remember

yeah - i like to stretch, it is my job, since i am a writer,...

i am pretty much funked by that HOME ON IPOD idea, i can't help myself, i see all these oportunities instantly compelling - gorgeous

Apple listen, do not hesitate!
  • Reply 3 of 29
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i agree -- it will be great. and we won't realize how great until we have it
  • Reply 4 of 29
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    I don't think it is just a rumor. I seem to remember that feature being in some early 10.3 dev seeds. However, Apple pulled it because it would wear down the iPod's HD too quickly. Remember, the iPod's hard drive is not meant to be spinning all the time.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    wait, what is home on iPod?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I remember the moments after Panther was released, Apple had a blurb on Home on iPod on their website, but was promptly removed. Anyone have a screenshot of this? Maybe I'm wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

wait, what is home on iPod?

go to Appleinsider newsthread

in a nutshell: basically the idea is to store your home directory on your ipod.

in a next step move there is the idea to store your home directory on your iPod and sync it with any mac and voilá, - you feel like at home. you've got the picture, haven't you?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I thought that the drive in the iPod isn't robust enough to handle being in target disc mode ALL the time ... wouldn't a feature like home on the iPod be too much for it? Granted you're not booting off of it or anything, but isn't that a lot of disk access?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    We might have to wait for next-gen iPods with next-gen microdroves for this feature to premiere. How would this dovetail with .Mac which is sort of the same idea about syncing remote Macs (or at least accessing the stuff online if you're on a PC)?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    oh, thanks. home on ipod, wow, i would have to have a frickin' 100 GB iPod to do that...
  • Reply 11 of 29
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    You only need 100gb? I would need like 250!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

oh, thanks. home on ipod, wow, i would have to have a frickin' 100 GB iPod to do that...

oh well, yoou are a funk punk rocker, i see...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-Dog

You only need 100gb? I would need like 250!

well, for my music folder, i mean...goddamn, i need a new HD, only have 2 GB left...
  • Reply 14 of 29
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    will not happen for 10.4
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I thought that the drive in the iPod isn't robust enough to handle being in target disc mode ALL the time ... wouldn't a feature like home on the iPod be too much for it? Granted you're not booting off of it or anything, but isn't that a lot of disk access?

Actually, the idea for home on ipod is a lot like iSync. you make all your changes on the local disk, then can sync to your ipod to update all changes. the ipod is then a complete copy of your home dir. then you go to your other mac and then it syncs back to the other local dir.

magic for people with multiple macs.

or you could use it as the primary Home, for instance when you don't want to copy everything to a local disk on a friend's computer for instance. but it still would be in target disk mode, and would only be accessing files that you specifically open. not too much load i think, and certainly ok for the weee tough little ipod..
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Home directory on iPod? Sounds like a feature I wouldn't use. But hey, if there are people that would use it then by all means implement it!

Video-enabled iPods? Sounds cool, but no thanks. Walking home from school or work and listening to music is one thing, but imagine the possibilities of video. Kids watching video in class or using it to cheat on tests, people watching movies while driving... Plus, can you imagine trying to watch video while walking? It's hard enough to walk while navigating the iPod menus... sheesh!

• Reply 17 of 29
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan

Home directory on iPod? Sounds like a feature I wouldn't use. But hey, if there are people that would use it then by all means implement it!

Video-enabled iPods? Sounds cool, but no thanks. Walking home from school or work and listening to music is one thing, but imagine the possibilities of video. Kids watching video in class or using it to cheat on tests, people watching movies while driving... Plus, can you imagine trying to watch video while walking? It's hard enough to walk while navigating the iPod menus... sheesh!

well, it would, supposedly, be best for plugging the iPod into a TV and presenting it in that fashion
  • Reply 18 of 29
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    My home directory is only a gig, so i back it up to my ipod once a week using Carbon Copy Cloner.

P.S It also helps to save space by keeping the mp3's on another drive.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Hmm, that feature could easily turn into a killer app for the iPod. If done correctly, imagine the number of switchers? Many people have multiple computers. The idea of having all of your information on your iPod, accessible on any Mac, is pretty cool.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

I don't think it is just a rumor. I seem to remember that feature being in some early 10.3 dev seeds. However, Apple pulled it because it would wear down the iPod's HD too quickly. Remember, the iPod's hard drive is not meant to be spinning all the time.

Yeah, it was actually an announced feature on Apple's Mac OS X page, but they pulled it prior to the release.