The inexorable march of time goes on, I'm getting a cell phone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I have taken to calling it my "mobile". I have found that part of my hatred of "cell phones" was the name "cell phone" which (1) sounds idiotic and (2) makes no sense. I do not imitate the UKers with "mo-byel", I say it like a good American, "mo-bull"

On the more philosophical tip, I'm not as concerned about it ruining my life as I was before. It is on vibrate if I go out in public and if I am in the car or in an area where I might irritate people I do not answer.

I have had to appreciate the handiness 5 times so far, too, which is far higher than I expected. The fiancee has not started using it as a leash, but she might in time and that is going to be Big Problem. Do not call me while I am out telling to me do shit I think is extraneous, because I will just stop answering your calls. And if your head catches on fire and you call me well, too bad for crying "wolf!" too many times.

I do not want this little thing to operate as a remote control that others hold for my life. My conversations will be terse and dense with necessary information, damnit. No chit-chat on the mobile unless I am at home.

I had this conversation with the fiancee (who I make sound like a beast, but she is not, she is wonderful), who thought I was being way too serious, but you have got to get the boundaries set in relationships.

At this stage the mobile is a useful device with minor annoyance. This may change for the negative or positive. I got over the neatness of it after about 5 minutes, so it is all about utility now. (I was shocked at how fast I went from no mobile to mobile with # that anyone could call.)
  • Reply 42 of 43
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I have a nextel that I get from work, but if I had to get another I'd get a Verizon. The only people whose phones worked here in NYC during the blackout all had Verizon.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I was interested in Verizon, too. They had a weak phone selection, but I don't see why I really care about that.

I wish there was a way to test the service out without going through the contract process and exercising your 2 week (or whatever is offered) window.