Micheal Moore and the ovation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Drudge is reporting:

Quote:

(Micheal) MOORE BRINGS DOWN HOUSE: LONGEST STANDING OVATION 'IN HISTORY OF CANNES' FOR BUSH BASH FILM

Drudge went on to say

Quote:

20 mins standing ovation for FAHRENHEIT 9-11, yelling, screaming, cheering... 'This is the longest standing ovation in the history of the festival! Unbelievable!' declared Cannes stalwart Thierry Fremaux. Moore, raising fist, unable to speak over crowd, vows to fight... Controversial scene in film shows wounded American GI in Iraq talking about how Democrats must win election... Movie shows video of U.S. soldiers laughing as they place hoods over Iraqi detainees, with one of them grabbing a prisoner's genitals through a blanket...

This just goes to show the level of BULLSH*T in the entertainment industry, I dont care who you are, what function you are at, who is on stage or screen, or what group puts an event together, NOBODY GETS A 20 MINUTE STANDING O', NOBODY!!!

this is the kind of crap i dont get, like moore or not, when was the last time that someone in any walk of life got 20 minutes of applause?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Why is it so scatological? I'm sure the folks there don't like Bush. It is in Europe after all. France no less. Is that really a big surprise to you? I bet if you went to a Nascar event or a white evangelical church in the south and showed the movie, it wouldn't get quite the same reaction.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    OTOH, Bush would get the 20 min ovation.

Moore is preaching to the converted there at Cannes - I don't think that an extended ovation is a valid critique of the film's merits or lack there of.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I was just saying that it seems so odd, the longest ovation I can remember was like 7-8 min, at a rock concert, 20 minutes is a long time to clap, particularly for the spineless French.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    You should have gone to a Dean rally then.

20 minutes is long, but not unheard of.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I was just saying that it seems so odd, the longest ovation I can remember was like 7-8 min, at a rock concert, 20 minutes is a long time to clap, particularly for the spineless French.

... if it wasn't for the French, you'd be British ...
  • Reply 6 of 50
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

winner.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

in the past ~70 years well...this isnt the same France

Isnt it a good thing we didnt follow the French plan in WWII, had we, we would be speaking in German or Japanese
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You should have gone to a Dean rally then.

20 minutes is long, but not unheard of.

Well, unfourtanatly the campeign is done before the IN primaries, woulda went if I coulda...I never turn down a good freak show, because "...we'r gonna take back the white house. YYYYEEEEEAAAhaHAHAHHAHAHHAH"...
  • Reply 9 of 50
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

in the past ~70 years well...this isnt the same France

Isnt it a good thing we didnt follow the French plan in WWII, had we, we would be speaking in German or Japanese

strange parallel with the Japanese that US Intelligence knew in advance of diplomatic break=War (due to codebreaking success with Purple and other Japanese Naval ciphers), but Senior officials didn't warn Pearl Harbour in time.

funny that the PNAC documents explicitly state the need for "a new Pearl Harbour" before societal change, and that some folks in US intelligence knew in advance of al-queda+jets=War, but Senior officials didn't take action in time.

neither inquiry into the intelligence failures that led up to either attack made much progress behind the screen of "national security", but at least there were command personnel and policy changes made in the 40's...
  • Reply 10 of 50
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    great. this will boost his ego even more (no pun intended)
  • Reply 11 of 50
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I seldom play grammar and spelling cop. I don't claim to be perfect myself. But, I've got to say...

Mich-A-E-l Moore. A before the E.

Once could be a typo. Twice? Not sure you know how to spell it, especially after all of the glaring errors I saw in just one post in the "wmd found?" thread earlier.

"Sayd" instead of "said"?

"Burry" instead of "bury"?

"Sodam" instead of "Saddam"? (Even if you were going for "sodom" as a joke, you got it wrong.)

Oh, and by the way, there[']s this key, right of the semicolon, two keys over from L, with this thing called called an apostrophe on it. Haven[']t you noticed it before?

Type slower and buy a dictionary and/or a spelling checker, please.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Let me just say that this post went over the boundry of what is ok to say.

in particular the "spineless Fench" part.

This is a warning.

I have spelled out the guidlines of the AO forum at the top of the forum please read them if you have not already. I do not enjoy these kinds of remarks and neither do others as this post of yours was reported to me by another member.

Again this is a warning and I know you can change in future.

Thanks, Fellowship
  • Reply 13 of 50
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I still have two ovations. They aren't bad guitars. Sound's a little dull for my taste but what the hell.

As for moore, at least he's not limbaugh. Hell, if I was a conservative I'd be looking to trade.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Looking to trade? Moore for Limbaugh? They're both ideological blowhards who care far more for themselves than any cause they pretend to fight for.

Even trade, but neither side benefits.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I still have two ovations. They aren't bad guitars. Sound's a little dull for my taste but what the hell.

As for moore, at least he's not limbaugh. Hell, if I was a conservative I'd be looking to trade.

Why?
  • Reply 16 of 50
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I don't really like the slick plastic coating behind, if not held carefully they slide off your lap. But I do like the sound a lot.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Looking to trade? Moore for Limbaugh? They're both ideological blowhards who care far more for themselves than any cause they pretend to fight for.

The key differance that I see between limbaugh and moore is that Moore does what he does out of a persona of hate, he has this unhealthy hatered thing that limbaugh doesnt, rush may be a "blowhard" but he is much more successfull than moore because, while being sarcastic and just plain out silly sometimes, he is rarely if ever hatefull, he is pationate, but at the end of the day he doesnt "hate" his opponents, he has said numorous times that Bill Clinton would be a fun partner for golf, or great fun to go with to "pick up babes (his words not mine)", he just doesnt trust him leading the world.

as contrasted to Moore who simply hates bush in the worst way, who says conservatives dont see nuance
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Hear, hear.

I used to be a Moore fan... I vastly enjoyed Roger & Me, and thought it was a wonderful piece of work that I was glad to see produced.

Starting with Bowling for Columbine though... he's gone from documentary maker to spinmeister. His use of editing is highly misleading at best, and is used not to educate but to create an atmosphere in the viewer's mind that may or may not lead to correct factual information being retained. In short, it's brainwashing. He lost my respect, and I'm sad to see him go down this route because he actually had talent as a documentary maker at one point.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

The key differance that I see between limbaugh and moore is that Moore does what he does out of a persona of hate, he has this unhealthy hatered thing that limbaugh doesnt, rush may be a "blowhard" but he is much more successfull than moore because, while being sarcastic and just plain out silly sometimes, he is rarely if ever hatefull, he is pationate, but at the end of the day he doesnt "hate" his opponents, he has said numorous times that Bill Clinton would be a fun partner for golf, or great fun to go with to "pick up babes (his words not mine)", he just doesnt trust him leading the world.

as contrasted to Moore who simply hates bush in the worst way, who says conservatives dont see nuance

Since you're quoting Rush as proof he's not a playa hata, perhaps you could provide quotes that show Moore to be one. Hey, do you remember the Chelsea Clinton "new White House dog" joke that Rush did a while back? Not hateful, huh?

Personally, I don't see much if any difference in attitude and approach between them. How exactly is Rush "sarcastic and silly" while Moore is "hateful"?

This is not a "defense" of Moore, just a callout on what appears to be a double-standard. I would expect a defense of Moore from a hard-core liberal, much like the defense given by you of Rush suggests a strong bias in his favor because you agree with his opinions.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

rush may be a "blowhard" but he is much more successfull than moore because, while being sarcastic and just plain out silly sometimes, he is rarely if ever hatefull, he is pationate, but at the end of the day he doesnt "hate" his opponents, he has said numorous times that Bill Clinton would be a fun partner for golf, or great fun to go with to "pick up babes (his words not mine)", he just doesnt trust him leading the world.

Yeah. Rush is such a lovable guy he doesn't call anyone names. Ever. He would never call Hillary Clinton Hitlery, or call any women feminazis. Yeah, I'm sure Clinton would love to play golf and "pick up babes" with him after the many times he insulted his daughter, and wife. Limbaugh is a selfserving idiot famous for routinely insulting and degrading others. He's also a hypocrite, and to many, a racist. Not to mention a drug addict.

For you to demonize Moore citing Limbaugh as an example is laughable. Just laughable. I'm sure you could find someone better for that...but Limbaugh?

A Drudge and Limbaugh fan. Some combo there.