Who has faith in Apple's Design Team?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

Well I do but.....

they should get back to smoking dope cos this tight axx white sjit just ain't funny anymore, frankly it never was!

Get back into the hemisphere and design some sweet puters again and I'm happy. The curent iMac and iPod design remind me of those nasty 80s yuppie design companies like alessi and stuff.

It just has no life to it and thus no breath either...

just my two ? cents

Well theres the first vote for the flower power emac
  • Reply 42 of 45
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted as thread Title

Who has faith in Apple's Design Team?

I have faith in the team, but I don't know how big they are, and I still think they must be over worked, and way under staffed. There are so many levels of design. There is the external housing aesthetics, internal design, Things like hardware design can cover a great deal of range. It's lot to cover, but I hope they, and everybody at Apple can come through by WWDC.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

With all the posts about the iMac being dead, and a lot of posts pushing for a headless iMac, I wonder who has any faith left in Apple's Design Team - enough faith to believe that the next generation iMacs are going to be as big a leap as the current one? Enough faith to believe that the next iMac will be a stunner of a design and perfectly targeted for its market? Enough faith that you would really like to have one?

Actually, I do. That's why I holding off buying an iMac until I see what is released.

So the question is: Do you have faith in the Design Team? Yes or No. We're not talking headless iMacs, $599 cheapo boxes, or anything else that we believe should be done. Just a question of faith.

I so don't understand this thread. I have been meaning to respond to it since it first came out but I have just been too busy and I thought I would read some of the other responses. Why on earth would anyone have "faith" in Apple's design team? It is as if to suggest that they can do no wrong. I have faith in God, but little else. This faith business has got to stop. We don't need to have faith in Apple. If we care about them, then we need to start holding them accountable.

Let's consider a couple of Apple designs. The Cube was perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing computer ever made. But it was horribly designed in many key areas. It was fanless and super quiet. But that design made it susceptible to heat issues. Its external shell was beautiful. But it was susceptible to mould deformities and hairline cracks. The power supply was a brick. All of the inputs were underneath, making it necessary to flip it over in order to access the ports. Don't even talk about getting inside the case. When the iMac 2 was introduced, SJ confessed that vertically mounted drives were not a very good design choice; a design choice utilized in the Cube.

Speaking of the iMac 2, who's brilliant idea was it to put all of the ports and the power switch in the back? IMO, a poor design choice just for subjective aesthetics. The iRise gives us a glimpse of what Apple could have done. The small base offers a space saving design. But, that same design makes it difficult to outfit it with speedy and up to date desktop internals. No one will deny the ergonomic prowess of the swing arm display mount. But that same design makes the iMac too expensive to sell to its target market at an acceptable price point.

Of Mac design in general, how many people have had to come to a board like this one in order to figure out how to get a disk unstuck? Again, aesthetics wins over functionality. The one button mouse that does not even concede the usefulness of a scroll wheel is a poor design for the modern day.

Especially as it relates to the iMac, I am left to wonder why anyone would have faith in the next design. SJ is stubborn and has demonstrated how inflexible he can be, even when the necessity for change seems obvious. So count me as a "no". I do not have faith in Apple's next iMac design. Having said that, I certainly hope it is magnificent.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Wow. That's a good post Mac Voyer. Some of it was a little nit picky, but for the most part it made me think. I would have to agree with the sum of your reasoning.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

If we care about them, then we need to start holding them accountable.

We do, and they know it. The customer based decides when and how many to buy, and whether to switch to/from Mac.

I think the notion of faith in this context is whether you think the design team can "pull it off". The next products are almost certainly done at this point so there is nothing we can do but wait and see. If you had to bet on their success would it be for or against? If you're betting for then its because you have some degree of "faith" in their abilities. Either way this probably arises from their past performances because that is the only evidence we have currently.