Latest Mac games...?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just switched over from the Windoze world, and I have a new 15" PowerBook G4. I was wondering what kinda games are out for mac? I'm considering getting Halo, any other suggestions...? :P

thanks,

deunan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I liked Warcraft III. I think Command and Conquer Generals just came out too.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Get Halo if you haven't played it one XBox. My roommate had it on XBox and I played the hell out of it- then bought it for mac and haven't played it that much...still a great game though.

C&C: Generals is supposed to be good. Also UT 2004 is out too. LOTR: Return of the Kind is out too.

I don't know- I play more console and GBA games than anything... I prefer the bigger screen, wireless controller and not having to mess around to find settings that are good....
  • Reply 3 of 34
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    most mac users play on console... :P Just because the lack of games on Mac... hehehe
  • Reply 4 of 34
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Now since the only games worth playing are WW2 games Here is a list:

Available:

Call of Duty

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Medal of Honor: Spearhead

Medal of Honor: Breakthrough

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Coming soon:

Battlefield 1942

Check out http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/complete/ for more
  • Reply 5 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Unreal Tournament 2004

It's all you need, and it runs great. And yes, you can fight PC users online. (And whoop their asses)
  • Reply 6 of 34
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Most of the best games are on Mac. Probably the biggest glaring hole is Half-life and all it entails. But, From what I understand half-life 2 will make it to the Mac.

There is one game however, it's one of the best games I've played in a long time Savage! It's like warcraft, except you play as a grunt/worker. One player on each team sees the game just like warcraft, top down type view, they get to control builders, manage resources, construct buildings, give orders, research weaponry for the grunts...etc. Everyone else sees the game in an over-the-shoulder style view, with First-person for most weaponry.

It's an amazingly fun and game, but unfortunately, there are not any official plans for a mac release. However, on the forums, where the developers regularly hang out and answer questions, they have hinted towards a kind of "we will probably do a mac version, it's just not a high priority right now" type of thing. Which, is better than nothing.

Call of Duty made it to mac, that's awesome, that game rules. KOTOR is on the way, World of Warcraft, and every future blizzard game, Doom 3 is coming, Unreal tournament 2004 made it.

Mac gaming has gotten substantially better in the past few years, and it's getting better and better all the time.

Now apple just has to have a capable consumer priced gaming machine, like the iMac, just with a killer GPU and capable system bus.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Snood.

Fallout

Plus get SNES9X and RockNES to play every nintendo / super nintendo game ever made. Hard to beat Mario Bros.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    snood-yes!!!!!!!!

and emulators rule, i have sooooooooo many ROMS, it's not even funny!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

But, From what I understand half-life 2 will make it to the Mac/

Stoo needs linkage! (Not that it'll run well on a rev. A 12" PowerBook anyway)
  • Reply 10 of 34
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

Most of the best games are on Mac. Probably the biggest glaring hole is Half-life and all it entails. But, From what I understand half-life 2 will make it to the Mac.

Hunh?!? Where did you hear that! I've heard just the opposite actually. And yes, many good games do appear on the Mac... after no one cares to play them anymore, unfortunately.

I think the biggest problem for gaming on the Mac is the trend towards DirectX only games. OpenGl is slowly dying off.

C.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    sailfishsailfish Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Unreal Tournament 2004

It's all you need, and it runs great. And yes, you can fight PC users online. (And whoop their asses)

I'll second that, you might want to get a external montior, good pair of stereo headphones, a bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard to go with the laptop.

If your were a serious hardcore gamer with buckets of cash and can't stand being a "bottom feeder", you would have a Dual 2 Ghz G5, a ATI 9800, wireless keyboard and mouse, a 23" Cinema Display and a RAID O pair of 10,000 WD 74GB Raptors, 2.5GB RAM, a great pair of headphones... ok I'll quit bragging, after all I only have a ATI 9600 video card.

Darn where's that 9800SE card that's been rumored? I need even more framerates!

Here's a massive list of third party software
  • Reply 12 of 34
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sailfish:

Darn where's that 9800SE card that's been rumored?

9800 - Bah. Yesterday's news.

Where's the X800?!

C.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

Where's the X800?!

ahhh still a bit off, think they stopped the 9800 Pro SE to do this instead?

Guess I'll be waiting, hmm HD gaming.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Escape

Fuckin'

Velocity

Yes.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    rara Posts: 623member
    Here's two freebies (and two of my faves):

America's Army

Big Bang Chess
  • Reply 16 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sailfish

I'll second that, you might want to get a external montior, good pair of stereo headphones, a bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard to go with the laptop.

If your were a serious hardcore gamer with buckets of cash and can't stand being a "bottom feeder", you would have a Dual 2 Ghz G5, a ATI 9800, wireless keyboard and mouse, a 23" Cinema Display and a RAID O pair of 10,000 WD 74GB Raptors, 2.5GB RAM, a great pair of headphones... ok I'll quit bragging, after all I only have a ATI 9600 video card.

Darn where's that 9800SE card that's been rumored? I need even more framerates!

Here's a massive list of third party software

Macworld tests have proven, several times, that as long as you have a G5 with a gig of RAM, the only other components that matter (for gaming) are the graphics card and HD. The Dual-1.8 G5 got the same UT score as the Single-1.8 G5. The only reason the G5 2.0 got a much higher UT score was because of the 9800.

I'd recommend a BTO G5 1.8 with a 9800, personally.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    nobody is talking about Halo...! That seems like the only game I'd get for mac. I already have my Blizzard games installed, thank God they're all hybrids~ I don't know what the hype is about WW2 games, they all look the same...! :P
  • Reply 18 of 34
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    all ambrosia and spiderweb software games-not the latest, but still really really good!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    pantherpanther Posts: 64member
    Of the Ambrosia games, Deimos Rising, Pop pop ... are fun. Active Lancer is a bit Deimos like, and enjoyable (if you like graphic shooting games). . XGates (for stress mangement}, Shrek 2, Snood (another addictive stress management program). Maybe that's at least a start for having a look.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

The Dual-1.8 G5 got the same UT score as the Single-1.8 G5

That tells A LOT, just like Photoshop, they are only writing the code to utilize one processor.

If Halo and UT2004 were a bit more cooperative playing in a window, I could probably see.