New G5s soon? 7-10 day wait on orders!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If you attempt to buy a new G5, you will see that there is a 7-10 day wait for shipment. Just a day or two ago, they were shipping the same day. Could this indicate new models on Tuesday?

Matthew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SuperMatt

If you attempt to buy a new G5, you will see that there is a 7-10 day wait for shipment. Just a day or two ago, they were shipping the same day. Could this indicate new models on Tuesday?

Matthew

Hmmmm...

*Rubs chin thoughtfully*
  • Reply 2 of 60
    seanlseanl Posts: 39member
    Yes, it could indicate this.

On the other hand, it may be due to Father's day purchases...
  • Reply 3 of 60
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    uhm, naw, wait four weeks, then you will see what is up... I presume so at least.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    3.0 Ghz at WWDC, 'nuff said.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    7-10 day wait = 3 GHZ at WWDC.

Why didn't I think of that?
  • Reply 6 of 60
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    g5 rev b tuesday, displays and headless imac equivelant (g5 cube) as well as 50 gig ipod with color display and price cuts on the G5 at WWDC.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

g5 rev b tuesday....

This coming Tuesday (June 1st)?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

g5 rev b tuesday, displays and headless imac equivelant (g5 cube) as well as 50 gig ipod with color display and price cuts on the G5 at WWDC.

Sounds like a reasonable prediction to me. Well, except the headless iMac. Maybe a G5 iMac though.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SuperMatt:

I believe Apple already hinted that they were going to wait until WWDC to refresh their professional line.

C.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 394member
    My (optimistic) guess - this Tuesday! Because -

1) Note that the 1.6 at the Apple Store is 7-10 days, whereas the same configuration is same day delivery at the Developer Store. Apple is offering Developers a special price for the 1.6, and appear to have the stock for it. The dp 1.8/2.0 are 7-10 days at both stores.

2) It seems early for extending the delivery date if the new ones will not be announced until the end of June.

3) Apple will announce products that are ready to ship instead of waiting for an event. Events are more for products that are about to ship, and Apple wants the press to stimulate interest.

My .02!
  • Reply 11 of 60
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

So Apple's going to release new G5s this Tuesday, with no fanfare, and then four weeks later, at the major trade show they obviously should have been released at in the first place, Steve is going to announce, onstage in front of the entire Mac developer community, that the tens of thousands of pro customers who ordered these new G5s over the previous four weeks are all suckers because he's slashing prices after only one month?

Right.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    All it means is that Apple is finally getting to the bottom of inventory. They've shown before that they are willing to allow a fairly long dry period between models.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

My (optimistic) guess - this Tuesday! Because -

1) Note that the 1.6 at the Apple Store is 7-10 days, whereas the same configuration is same day delivery at the Developer Store. Apple is offering Developers a special price for the 1.6, and appear to have the stock for it. The dp 1.8/2.0 are 7-10 days at both stores.

2) It seems early for extending the delivery date if the new ones will not be announced until the end of June.

3) Apple will announce products that are ready to ship instead of waiting for an event. Events are more for products that are about to ship, and Apple wants the press to stimulate interest.

My .02!

Ever noticed that the promotion ends 2 days prior to WWDC?
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Ever noticed that the promotion ends 2 days prior to WWDC?

I have - but keep in mind that the promotions are tied directly to a product number. Any new products would not be part of the promotion. Something is coming soon - at least by the end of June!
  • Reply 15 of 60
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'd say that it's just an indication that Apple has managed to clear out existing PowerMac stock a bit early. I know that they've had instances where a particular lineup was low on stock for a few weeks before they announced its replacement.

Also, not every channel is necessarily dry yet. The Apple retail stores may still have stock, for example. I know that Small Dog still has 5 dual 1.8s and 13 dual 2.0s in stock (still a dramatic reduction from what they had a couple months ago) as of today.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

keep in mind that the promotions are tied directly to a product number.

No they are not.

From the fine print of Brilliant Savings:

QUALIFYING PRODUCTS:All Apple Power Mac G5 computers; Apple display:M8537ZM/A 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

From the fine print of More Memory for Less:

All Apple iMac, Power Mac computers and Apple Xserve G5 servers. 256MB, 512MB, & 1GB DDR333 & DDR400 Apple RAM custom configured modules.

There's a product number for the 23" ACD since the promo is restricted to that particular display and no other, but there is NO such restriction or product numbers for the Power Macs. It simply says "All Power Macs". If new G5s are released before WWDC they would be eligible for these promos too.

If Steve were going to do a small PM bump to try to sweep his 3GHz promise under the rug he would have done it already, even if 970fx chip supplies were still constrained. No, at this point it's full steam ahead to WWDC.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

No they are not.

From the fine print of Brilliant Savings:

QUALIFYING PRODUCTS:All Apple Power Mac G5 computers; Apple display:M8537ZM/A 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

From the fine print of More Memory for Less:

All Apple iMac, Power Mac computers and Apple Xserve G5 servers. 256MB, 512MB, & 1GB DDR333 & DDR400 Apple RAM custom configured modules.

You are right, but as you state, the memory & display promo are somewhat restricted. Plus, "Apple reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions of this offer, or to discontinue it, at any time without notice."

All I'm saying is that one could argue for tomorrow as well as WWDC. Until the new PowerMacs are released, it's only speculation for most of us. I'm hoping the PowerMacs will be released tomorrow, and something special (G5 iMac?) at WWDC also!
  • Reply 18 of 60
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The question has come to me ...

If Apple updates the Power Macs before WWDC, is that a green light for the new iMac G5 at WWDC? Or (gasp) PowerBook G5?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

The question has come to me ...

If Apple updates the Power Macs before WWDC, is that a green light for the new iMac G5 at WWDC? Or (gasp) PowerBook G5?

Who knows! NOBODY! Why do people love to make pointless speculations? Apple is now the most secretive computer-making company in the world...why even try to imagine its roadmap?

Nobody frickin' knows what Apple is up to...and the proof if that rumor sites have been rumoring the G5 update since December. Hardly anyone has been able to predict anything until 1-2 days before the actual announcement at which point they are almost totally useless.

If Apple updates the Power Macs before WWDC, it could be a green light for nwe iMac G5s or PB G5s or not. No one knows. Not even the guy that got an Apple employee drunk and got him to "spill the beans".

This 7-10 day wait can mean something...but it can mean nothing at all. If you've been here long enough (before the G4 was announced) you'll realize Apple is unpredictable...very unpredictable.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Why do people love to make pointless speculations?

You may think it's pointless speculation. I don't. I believe that if Apple announces Power Macs before WWDC, it means that something else major will be shown at WWDC.