Will Tiger kill G3?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

it is a whopping 5 yrs old, however it gets the job done, just a bit slower obviously

Had you pulled aside $14 a week since the time you purchased that B&W you'd have over to $3500 with which to buy a new system... I'd say its time to give up that ghost of a machine...

Dave
  • Reply 22 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

it is a whopping 5 yrs old, however it gets the job done, just a bit slower obviously

So's my Lime iMac. I mostly use it as a fancy external drive.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    The latest G3 iBooks are too young for Apple to totally kill the G3 with Tiger. My guess is we won't see any machine lay-offs with Tiger. Apple mentioned that they're slowing down their OS release cycle. So if Tiger is released Dec. 04/Jan. 05 and 10.5, say, Summer 2006 (1.5 instead of 1.0 years cycle?), I guess _that_ would be the time to kill the G3.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hack4ev3r

So i supouse original imacs G3 wont be supported just the G3 Towers? And other G3 Machines that have usb?

Fix me if i'm right but wouldent it be good if apple kill some G3'S?

I mean Come on people are Downloading mac osx like shit ( nop not microsoft hehe ) beacuse of pearpc powerpc Emulator...

Anybody in the forum going to the WWDC?

iMac G3s have USB! - Original iMacs barely work under Panther so under 10.4 they will be so slow! Remember they're six years old.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fryke

The latest G3 iBooks are too young for Apple to totally kill the G3 with Tiger. My guess is we won't see any machine lay-offs with Tiger. Apple mentioned that they're slowing down their OS release cycle. So if Tiger is released Dec. 04/Jan. 05 and 10.5, say, Summer 2006 (1.5 instead of 1.0 years cycle?), I guess _that_ would be the time to kill the G3.

That's still too early, the G3 in the some iBooks wont even be three years old then! Apple always support hardware for as many as poss.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

iMac G3s have USB! - Original iMacs barely work under Panther so under 10.4 they will be so slow! Remember they're six years old.

What's with the reasoning that Tiger will get slower? Haven't OS X releases gotten progressively faster?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I think that when tiger comes out they should refresh the whole line of macs. that way they could kill G3 and everyone would go upgrade there computer to run tiger.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by evantandersen

I think that when tiger comes out they should refresh the whole line of macs. that way they could kill G3 and everyone would go upgrade there computer to run tiger.

Ya im sure everyone has two grand to spend