Ok, I got my iBook -- you are all smoking crack w/r/t to 'snappiness'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    hey, how about that? I just re-checked my advanced tab with visuals on and the OpenGL thingy is unchecked like you guys just said. vierd. I guess this will be addressed in 3.01

for those for whom OpenGL visuals work, is there a big difference?

iBook 14inch 8mb rage 384mb ram.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

for those for whom OpenGL visuals work, is there a big difference?</strong><hr></blockquote>

63 vs. 29 fps, full screen. This is on a GeForce 4Ti. On the Rage 128 the OpenGL box won't remain checked.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    at 1600 x 1200 res., i am getting TWO frames per second on my G4...

at 800 x 600 i am getting between 6 and 11..

back on topic, i am about to purchase a new mac.. as you can tell, this G4 is getting a little long in the tooth, so i'm looking at a laptop, a desktop, OR both, if apple were to unleash an amazing new PM in the next few weeks..

my options are;

an ibook 700 12 in., 640mb ram, 40gb hard disk..

a tibook, 667, 512mb ram..

ibook 700 PLUS a new powermac, only if they turn out to be a vast improvement..

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: LowBandwidthMember ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Uhh, I don't even HAVE this option in my "Advanced" pane of the preferences. No greyed-out checkbox, or a checkbox that automatically un-checks itself when I try to check it, but . . .

No item relating to OpenGL, PERIOD.

. . . or maybe that's because I'm running iTunes 3 on a Pismo G3/400 . . . ?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by MCQ:

If you run visualizations, click on the options button on the upper-right corner of iTunes. You'll find the OpenGL option there.<hr></blockquote>

• Reply 26 of 34
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ahh, there we go. nice to see i can turn off that stupid "low quality but fast" setting.

that always drove me totally nuts. i never use visuals except in full screen, so hadn't seen those options before.

too bad OpenGL won't stay checked for me either. guess i need a new laptop.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 27 of 34
    I am getting a steady 21 FPS @ full screen with Open GL running.

If I choose the fast but rough option I can get 50 to 70 FPS but it's very ugly so I don't see the point in that option.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: BrianMacOS ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 34
    pushermanpusherman Posts: 410member
    In iTunes 2 I was getting ~20 fps on the regular setting with my Rage 128 (no laughing) in my Cube. After switching to iTunes 3 that's dropped to ~5 fps. Obviously the OpenGL option won't work either. Is someone trying to tell me something?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Yet Another Registration:

<strong>If this is 'slow', I can't wait for Jaguar!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it's great that you are satisfied with the purchase. I've been fence sitting too due to the non-Altivec processor and video RAM, but maybe it's not as much of an issue as I thought.

However, I doubt with a single processor and 16Mb of video RAM if 2002 iBooks will be able to take any advantage of the purported Jaguar "acceleration" features. But fortunately, the iBook doesn't sound like the lapdog it was made out to be.

BT
  • Reply 30 of 34
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bit twiddler:

<strong>

However, I doubt with a single processor and 16Mb of video RAM if 2002 iBooks will be able to take any advantage of the purported Jaguar "acceleration" features. But fortunately, the iBook doesn't sound like the lapdog it was made out to be.

BT</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why is that? Quartz Extreme needs a 16MB card so the iBooks are fine.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kethoticus:

<strong>I'm hoping that 10.2 will be the speedy OS upgrade Apple's saying it will be.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But it's not Apple saying that, it's us saying that. Apple has said very little about speed, except a small bit about Quartz Extreme.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>

But it's not Apple saying that, it's us saying that. Apple has said very little about speed, except a small bit about Quartz Extreme.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There are some comparison bars from Apple here, but no info on the processor and video card.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html</a>;

It looks like Apple has stepped back from the optimum 32 Mb vram requirement that was announced at the WWDC.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Ok, I sort of feel like I'm helping to hijack this thread, but I can't help myself!

imac g4 700, went from 19-21 fps with iTunes 2 to 32-34 fps with iTunes 3. Soooo much nicer.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bit twiddler:

<strong>

It looks like Apple has stepped back from the optimum 32 Mb vram requirement that was announced at the WWDC.</strong><hr></blockquote>

32MB is still recommended, they're just saying that 16MB is the minimum. If you look at the powerpoint presentation they did at Siggraph (go to <a href="http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/siggraph2002_bof/"; target="_blank">Siggraph 2002 OpenGL</a> to find it), the slides say that minimum is 16MB with 2x AGP, recommended is 32MB with 4xAGP.