Wal-Mart Good or Bad?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    **UPDATE**

As a follow-up to this thread and largely due to the response it has prepetuated I took the wife to the Super Wal-mart currently half open and half under construction yesterday evening to refresh my thoughts on the project. I would start by telling you that while there is a lot of work going on the part of town surrounding the store is in complete dissaray. The parking lot alone is a series of detours and narrow parking spots that are sure to ruin your experience regardless of the improvments being made inside. let me get to the point we had a horrible shopping experience fighting through the still too-narrow isles. When it was all said and done we dropped $120 and change on what would almost certainly have cost us $160 elsewhere confirming that no matter how much we hate (HATE) going there it's just plain necessary if your cost concious.

All good and evil aside its important to acknoledge the fact that Wal-Mart runs the best game in town. If it can be done by Wal-Mart it can be done by other retailers. Whats needed is legitimate competition to close the gap in some areas and raise the standards in others.
  • Reply 62 of 62
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Trumptman - I'm all for globalization and free trade, but only if our trading partners are willing to bring their environmental standards and working conditions up to a comparable level to ours. Also most of the cheap Chinese made goods people are buying at Wal Mart bullshit people don't really need anyway. More importantly though, I'm just totally sick of corporate welfare. Here in NYC which is probably one of the most desirable real estate locations in America they've given numerous breaks to corporations that promised to stay here and not move and you know what, I say let em go. To hell with them, someone else will fill their shoes. How come conservatives who love to spout off about free markets and no government interference are so happy to give out the equivalent of a welfare check to corporate America?