?It's the end of the world? etc.

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BRussell

    I don't know what he's talking about, but it sure is fun to read! Necro-millenarists?



    Since I had to express my disapproval of the anti-enlightenment crowd, I thought might as well entertain my audience while at it.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Existence

    ...after we get a space-based electricity generation system or better yet, viable geothermal energy extraction...



    I know nothing about space-based electricity generation, but geothermal energy extraction is (i'm afraid) a big myth.



    On the other hand this is a great opportunity to vent against the anti-nuclear power lobby here in Europe. Let's see: it's (relatively) cheap, it's safe, it doesn't have any real negative side-effects, it can be stored and you don't depend on some big powerful companies. Oh jee, bet let's protest it anyway, bcause it's sooo much easier to scare people with the word "nuclear" than with "long-term global warming".



    And while i'm venting: don't you just love the guys who now (finally) admit that global warming is real but that it is pretty cold where they live so mayb it ain't so bad after all.



    And finally: when (sooner or later) oil is gone, there will be plenty of coal left, and that will cause many more problems than oil is causing all ready, i'm just saying.



    Doooooomed. Doooooooooomed i tell ya!



    Oh, and sorry for the semi-serious reply, the thread was flowing nicely before that.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SpcMs

    Let's see: it's (relatively) cheap, it's safe, it doesn't have any real negative side-effects, it can be stored and you don't depend on some big powerful companies. Oh jee, bet let's protest it anyway, bcause it's sooo much easier to scare people with the word "nuclear" than with "long-term global warming".



    I can sympathize a bit with your distaste for the ignorant fear one often encounters for anything nuclear or radioactive.



    There are, however, problems with nuclear power generation that are quite real, and fears that are justifiable. Waste disposal, including both the transportation of the waste and the long-term storage of the waste are big, unsolved problems.



    The fact that uranium is also a fairly limited resource is also a problem. The only way to effectively extend the useful time span of uranium as an energy source would be to make more reactors into breeder reactors -- the result being plutonium as a major part of the energy supply chain.



    I for one would not welcome a world economy based on something as dangerous as plutonium and plutonium trading.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

    So, should it be a rejection of every device developed after 1430, a generalisation of the Amish lifestyle? Or perhaps doing away with anything beyond pre-agrarian palaeolithic-tech altogether?

    Or should we go all the way and drastically reduce our numbers to match that of any other predatory beast of our relative size and weight, giving up even the stone-age instruments, to return to a pristine purtiy of a ?state of nature?.




    What you don't seem to understand is that the tools we use today are essentially paleolithic compared to what we're capable of doing. So it's not a matter of holding ourselves back even further but pushing our society to reach the level we already know we can reach and beyond.



    Eventually humankind learned not to shit and eat in the same general vicinity so they invented the toilet. In some ways we're still willing to wallow in our own shit even though there are plenty of reasonable options to rise above it.



    So if you're keen to live, breathe, eat and sleep in your own shit please feel free to do so. The real problem is when you voluntarily make others, against their own will no less, join you in your squalor.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bunge

    What you don't seem to understand is that the tools we use today are essentially paleolithic compared to what we're capable of doing. So it's not a matter of holding ourselves back even further but pushing our society to reach the level we already know we can reach and beyond.



    Had you adequately read my message upthread you'd know that I am quite confident in human reason, ingenuity, and creativity, to solve problems regarding our current model of energy creation and use, including replacing it by a better model.

    But that doesn't make transoceanic jetliners or other current technological artefacts either akin to child abuse, or palaeolithic.



    Quote:

    So if you're keen to live, breathe, eat and sleep in your own shit please feel free to do so. The real problem is when you voluntarily make others, against their own will no less, join you in your squalor.



    So now all you have left is throwing some tasteless hypotheses produced by the cesspool of mediocrity you have in lieu of imagination.

    And since you know even less about me than about the usual topics, your screed is ever more pathetic.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein



    So now all you have left is throwing some tasteless hypotheses produced by the cesspool of mediocrity you have in lieu of imagination.

    And since you know even less about me than about the usual topics, your screed is ever more pathetic.




    Another thread wasted
Sign In or Register to comment.