The Perfect WWDC for Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Here's my list for a perfect harware line up for Apple.

100% of what is mentioned below has already appeared in one form or the other in some forums.

1. New Imac G5 - A headless unit, which has some scope for expansion, Would be a perfect machine for switchers as they would be able to keep their exisiting monitiors (if they want to do so). Specs approx 2 GHZ G5. Also would be the machine sold to enterprise for their desktops. Price USD699 upwards.

2. New Powermacs - Essentially the same as the Rev A, but with ECC faster bus, PPC970FX chips and upgraded PCI graphics. Speeds from 2.0 GHZ to 3.0GHZ dual. Price current Powermac prices

3. New Powerbooks announced. G5 1.6GHZ upto 2.0GHZ. Processor PPC970FX. Upgraded system board and Graphics Board. Current Powerbook prices

4. NEW XSTATION - Based on new PowerPC chip. Dual Core. Upto 4 processors per unit. Speed from 2.5GHZ upwards to 3.4 GHZ. Radically different graphics performance. Machine would cost upwards of USD5000.

5. New Xserve - 1U - New PowerPC chips. Single and Dual processor. Speeds as per New XSTATION. Current Xserve prices

6. NEW XSERVE 3U - New PowerPC chips. Dual Core. Upto 4 per unit. Speed as per new XSTATION. Special bundle with Oracle 10i preinstalled. USD7500 upwards depending upon Oracle licensing

IF THIS HAPPENED......

How would it help kickstart CPU sales again for Apple.

Please shoot....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I do think the a dual+ PowerMac G5 lineup combined with a single G5 iMac lineup could happen.

Much as I wish for a small headless eMac with one slot and 2 drive bays, it probably won't happen.

Powerbook, not going to happen this round.

xStation, why not just buy an xServe? Although they could make the xServe a little quieter for near desk usage.

Apple really needs to shore up the low end of their line more than the high end at this point. Everyone keeps panting for a 3.0 G5, but frankly I would rather see a headless LC-style box with a single 2.0 G5 retailing for about $800. Then again, that is probably just me...

How about more drive bays than just 2 for the Powermac?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fresco

IF THIS HAPPENED......

I don't understand you... are you asking for all the above at once in this year's WWDC?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

1. New Imac G5 - A headless unit, which has some scope for expansion, Would be a perfect machine for switchers as they would be able to keep their exisiting monitiors (if they want to do so). Specs approx 2 GHZ G5. Also would be the machine sold to enterprise for their desktops. Price USD699 upwards.

Sounds about right, except for the price. Probably starting around 999.

Quote:

2. New Powermacs - Essentially the same as the Rev A, but with ECC faster bus, PPC970FX chips and upgraded PCI graphics. Speeds from 2.0 GHZ to 3.0GHZ dual. Price current Powermac prices

About right, although I think it will be a bit more than that. Could be based on POWER5-lite.

Quote:

3. New Powerbooks announced. G5 1.6GHZ upto 2.0GHZ. Processor PPC970FX. Upgraded system board and Graphics Board. Current Powerbook prices.

That would be great, but I don't see it happening until later this year.

Quote:

4. NEW XSTATION - Based on new PowerPC chip. Dual Core. Upto 4 processors per unit. Speed from 2.5GHZ upwards to 3.4 GHZ. Radically different graphics performance. Machine would cost upwards of USD5000.

I think the PowerMac is going to be geared more toward this end.

Quote:

5. New Xserve - 1U - New PowerPC chips. Single and Dual processor. Speeds as per New XSTATION. Current Xserve prices.

No chance in hell! They were just updated to 970fx and are just NOW starting to ship. Nope.

Quote:

6. NEW XSERVE 3U - New PowerPC chips. Dual Core. Upto 4 per unit. Speed as per new XSTATION. Special bundle with Oracle 10i preinstalled. USD7500 upwards depending upon Oracle licensing.

I really doubt it with xSan being announced and xGrid already here. No real need, now. I think the BIG server days are drawing nearer to a close.

That's my shots.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

1. New Imac G5

2. New Powermacs

3. New Powerbooks

4. NEW XSTATION

5. New Xserve - 1U

6. NEW XSERVE 3U

1. Probable

2. Of course

3. LOL

4. Don't be stupid

5. Come on now

6. Yep, these are pretty bad predictions.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    XGrid is not likely to be a good substitute for more CPUs for most applications. There is a market for an Xstation like machine. It is a niche within a niche, to be sure; that's why I don't believe Apple will sell it, unless it can be combined in some way with the 4-processor Xserve.

And on that note: No way you can work with an Xserve within earshot. Those blowers are unbelievably loud. I think they would even bother a deaf person.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    frescofresco Posts: 26member
    I have been misunderstood. I was just asking for your opinions on what would happen to the CPU sales if all these were launched. Do you think that this would give them the momentum that they really need now to get marketshare?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

I have been misunderstood. I was just asking for your opinions on what would happen to the CPU sales if all these were launched. Do you think that this would give them the momentum that they really need now to get marketshare?

No. It's a common fallacy that people make about marketshare and hardware. Apples hardware could have an undeniable speed avantage and marketshare won't increase. The way to increase marketshare is peddle the geeks equivalent to crack, software.

Computers are just tools. CPU's are general purpose processors. They mean nothing without the software to carry out our tasks. Apple's marketshare will not increase until they have a substantial cadre of applications that are "must haves"

realize that 68% of Microsofts revenues come from Windows and Office. That's how important software is. So yes, give me faster Macs give me Xserves give me iMac G5's but without Apple being able to make money selling applications that lock us in they cannot succeed against a siege of low cost x86 motherboards running MS software. It's futile.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

realize that 68% of Microsofts revenues come from Windows and Office. That's how important software is. So yes, give me faster Macs give me Xserves give me iMac G5's but without Apple being able to make money selling applications that lock us in they cannot succeed against a siege of low cost x86 motherboards running MS software. It's futile.

And realizing that Microsoft continues to stick Apple in the ass by not releasing a FULLY supported Exchange client, they have them screwed in most enterprises.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

And realizing that Microsoft continues to stick Apple in the ass by not releasing a FULLY supported Exchange client, they have them screwed in most enterprises.

I know. Apple promoting MS Office makes them essentially co-conspirators in their own demise. With MS so heavily dependent on revenue/profits from Office it's a freakin wonder why Apple and others don't get together and try to break this stranglehold.

I'm all for fast hardware but as the first rev of G5 has shown us people buy according to what apps they need to run. Office is available on PC and runs better in an exchange environment. End of story. Game over.

Apple will have to be a lot more clever and savvy if they truly wish to gain marketshare. They can't ship a headless computer despite the desire of some geeks. Apple's not stupid..they know that these people would then simply purchase a low cost monitor from another provider thus apple being out that revenue.

Today Apple has a finite amount of potential sales in which they have to maximize their profits. No amount of reasonable pricing changes or speed changes will affect this amount.

I believe in Apple but I also believe that it will take at the very least 3 years of constant hard work from Apple and a couple more suprise hits ala the iPod for Apple to be in a position where they can get a little breathing room.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

I know. Apple promoting MS Office makes them essentially co-conspirators in their own demise. With MS so heavily dependent on revenue/profits from Office it's a freakin wonder why Apple and others don't get together and try to break this stranglehold.

They have to though, as Office gets Macs into the enterprise. There would be little, if any, Macs there if it were not for Office. Apple realizes this, and even though Microsoft BFed them with crappy IE offerings for the MacOS, Apple could and did come through with a MUCH superior browser. Maybe they will get Appleworks up to par with Office. Time will tell.

Kinda makes you think that is the reason MS snapped up Virtual PC. Imagine building a Windows mode into OS X kinda like Classic has been. Just fire off Outlook (for Windows) and the "Classic Windows" starts and you have a full fledged Exchange client running. But alas, that avenue is closed. I wouldn't doubt Apple has some kind of strategy for this though. I would certainly focus on it, since enterprise and education seem to be driven by it. Try as they may, no kind of hardware iteration will make business turn to Macs. Software is where the focus needs to lie. Damn proprietary APIs.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Rhumgod

My sentiments exactly. MS has made two aquisitions(Bungie and VirtualPC) that I believe where pejorative to Mac users. Sure it's business but eventually the "chickens will come home to roost".

I have a feeling that the Apple suite isn't dead but rather in hibernation. Apple knows they can't make a foray into the Enterprise right now with untested tools. They have to gaint traction first and then they can start entertain the idea of an Apple suite. WWDC is so vital to producing a cohesive Enterprise Strategy. I hope it's effective and clear. We can't continue to pay this MS tax every few years. That's money and power that Apple is letting slip between their fingers.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    An Office killer wouldn't make much fodder for WWDC, but I'll just say that if they want to declare open warfare on Microsoft's bread-and-butter apps, they'd better be prepared for the consequences. Because there will be consequences. IE was on its way out anyway; Office is not.

My own suspicion about VPC is that it will be the official way to run .NET applications on Macs - to make nice with the DoJ, essentially, while selling a Windows license to everyone who uses .NET whether or not they run it natively. Bundling it with Office just means that .NET will spur adoption of both of Microsoft's only real breadwinners. Web functionality will be built into Windows eventually, so VPC naturally becomes the gateway to MS' web-enabled platform development plans.

As for WWDC: There's all kinds of crunchy low-level stuff to talk about. I'm expecting Apple to do what they did last year and get a lot of pending releases out of the way before WWDC. If there's any big release with something new for developers — like the PMG5 last year — then it'll bow in with the keynote. I don't think the 970fx introduces anything interesting, so any PMG5 revision that wants to be keynoted will have to introduce something else of note, like PCI Express — which would, finally, allow GPUs to be used as coprocessors, and which would therefor mark a very significant development. I'm sure that Apple would rather debut a technological change this significant (more so than PCI->AGP was, by far) at a developer conference, so I'm betting that Apple at least wants to take the covers off the revision, even if it doesn't ship for months.

Similarly, a new iMac wouldn't matter unless it brought something new to the table — the good news of a revised iMac would not be diluted if it was introduced a week before the conference. It looks like a 970 with an integrated memory controller is not happening; according to a post at Ars, IBM has taken the unusual step of opening up and licensing the 970's controller chip - part of a significant effort to open up the 970 platform generally - which means that white-box and embedded vendors can adopt it. But these are exactly the vendors who'd want an 970 with onboard memory controller.

I suppose a new iMac could usher in any number of new technologies, including PCI Express. Apple doesn't always require new tech to trickle down from the Power Mac, and PCI Express is touted as being inexpensive to implement. With a GPU as coprocessor, and with the GPU's job made easier by the fact of a single monitor at a known resolution, the iMac could get far more performance than the CPU alone could account for. And, ironically, the Power Mac could soldier on with 8x AGP; after all, the very fact that its graphics card is expandable means that it has to account for legacy compatibility. The iMac, on the other hand, can use whatever busses it wants to to shuttle data around within its little dome.

There is also the (distant, but extant) possibility that Tiger will allow a shift of emphasis toward a new form of Mac that hasn't previously been practical. I'm not going to speculate on what that would be, though.

The punchline to this overlong post is that I think the overwhelming majority of the interesting news coming out of WWDC will be software and OS stuff - QuickTime, Tiger, etc. There are many months left in the year for hardware releases; the only ones that need WWDC are the ones that bring something new to the table.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    frescofresco Posts: 26member
    Is there a Lotus Notes implementation that runs on OSX? This could be the answer for the Microsoft packages.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Is there a Lotus Notes implementation that runs on OSX? This could be the answer for the Microsoft packages.

But then a company would have to purge Exchange, and all of it's investment in that for something completely different. Not to mention IT training and staff training on top of that. A solution, but not a very popular one. Jumping platforms is a scary thing for a business to undertake, especially when the majority of businesses use Windows.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

An Office killer wouldn't make much fodder for WWDC, but I'll just say that if they want to declare open warfare on Microsoft's bread-and-butter apps, they'd better be prepared for the consequences. Because there will be consequences. IE was on its way out anyway; Office is not.

Agreed. For Apple to push into this market, they need to supply their own Exchange client. Kinda tough when MAPI is closed to them and only Outlook 2001 supports it. I would love to be in session 606, and ask how they integrate Macs into Domino, Exchange and Groupwise environments successfully. I have not seen one in Exchange, anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    This WWDC is probably going to generate more interest than it normally would have because of the delays in shipping the 90 nm G5 chips.

I have no doubt that a new generation iMac was waiting for the Feb/March PM speed bump and has been on hold. As soon as the PM upgrade is announced there is no reason for delaying an iMac - especially for back-to-school purchases.

I don't see the iMac being anything but an AIO form factor - that is what the "i" range stands for. The simplicity (and elegance) of the design is too attractive to consumers that want something better than a $599 computer that gets bumped to $1,500 with basic add ons. I want an AIO form for home use as well as the office. I want minimal space and have no desire to open the box for any reason except to add ram - just like with my new PB.

There are two alternatives to a headless iMac. One is the G4 PM (currently available) and the other would be a PM mini that could replace the G4 PM - with a single processor only, but some expansion potential for those that like to play in the box. This PM mini would probably come after the shipments of the new PM and iMac.

The big news, I believe, on Tiger will be a significant increase in 64 bit optimization of the OS. I have a feeling that there will be a base install program that will select 32 or 64 bit modules to maximize the optimization of both platforms. This increases speed of the G5s significantly and provides developers with the ability to support both platforms with minimal additional effort. I believe that Apple is moving to a G5 for all offerings and Tiger is going to be the first major step in getting developers to get ready for that day.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    I am really interested in seeing how Spoken Interface is coming along, as well as all the other goodies in Tiger. The hardware end is nice to speculate about, but software drives sales, so that is what I will be focusing on.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Apple will have to be a lot more clever and savvy if they truly wish to gain marketshare. They can't ship a headless computer despite the desire of some geeks. Apple's not stupid..they know that these people would then simply purchase a low cost monitor from another provider thus apple being out that revenue.

Today Apple has a finite amount of potential sales in which they have to maximize their profits. No amount of reasonable pricing changes or speed changes will affect this amount.

Well I think Apple's marketshare woes are a function of software and price. Let's start with the consumer end. The vast majority of consumers purchasing a computer will be satisfied with the bundled software and the consumer machine, but they do not choose a mac for 2 main reasons.

1. The software: they are concerned the software they need is unavailable on a mac. This is typically solved with education (this was true of me personally). Once they see 80% of everything is pretty well covered on Apple hardware, they may think about purchasing one.

2. The hardware costs. Even if Apple makes the best software ever, many people rule it out because there PC software is good enough. Many people are willing to pay extra for a better experience, but there is a limit on how much you will sacrifice.

So here is the problem, the AIOs are severely underpowered and unexpandable. So why pay 2x the money, and limit your self. Sure "technically" the emacs are a great value, but even people purchasing entry level computers want room to grow. On an imac/emac you don't have room to grow into a better monitor or a larger hard drive easily. And this is a huge drawback for many consumers, even if they do not take advantage of the expansion. Personally, we have 2 PC that have been in use since 1997/8. Each machine has had processor, RAM, optical drive, hard drive and monitor upgrades. Based on how these machines are used, the will be in use for 2 more years easily. If it was an all-in-one machine, we would have had to trash them once we needed these upgrades.

If there wasa headless machine, only the geeks would buy other monitors, and these geeks would come in droves to the new reasonable headless mac. The average consumer likes to match, and many of them would buy the Apple display, provided the cost was fairly reasonable. And the other ones would be sales that would have went to other manufacturers anyway, and what is most important for Apple is more users. If Apple wants to keep monitor attach rates simlar, using DVI, not ADC would be a quick shot in the arm for monitor sales.

For business markets Apple has larger challenges. Of course the windows inertia, but most importantly, Apples still don't mix well in a PC environment. There are improvements made with each OS X release, but it isn't 100% there yet. With no exchange support, quirky file sharing, and lingering compatibility issues.

One thing is certain, competing with Office at this stage in the game would be suicide for any challenger, it is too entrenched, like diesel gas. Sure it might be more efficient, but there aren't any gas stations with it, so I'm not gonna get that car anyway. IBM maybe on the right track with the middleware.

At my company we have a mac we use to run compatibility testing with our hardware. In most cases there are no problems, but our tech support guys have seen a few issues with Apple users. One key challenge for CIOs is integration and support, but Apple's support offering are not on par with the EMCs, IBMs, HPs and Dells. Apple need a knowledgeable service to go on-site to integrate Apple hardware, as well as offer support for multi-vendor environments. When the enterprises can depend on Apple, and not worry about abandonment, they can seriously consider Apple solutions . With people running OS X Jaguar intermittently receiving security patches and updates, and people with older OSes are just out of luck, This doesn't mate well with the typical enterprise environment where they waits for 12-18 months to ensure all of the bugs are removed before implementing new software or adding unproven updates. Apple is eager to push constant updates onto its users, and we have to trust they will work out fine. Enterprise organizations do not have the blind faith Apple relies on in the consumer markets.

My 2 cents. Apple has a ways to go, and even the speediest hardware won't solve all of Apple's key marketshare problems.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Great post Jade.

I realize it's my impatience that pushes Apple. The next 2-3 years should develop their Enterprise Strategy with more clarity. I'll wait patiently and do my part where I can (ie using Apple tools provided they are capable).

Apples current Certification for OSX Server is pathetic. Why don't they set a trend here by revivving Apple Press and printing out certification info. Now that the OS cycles will be slowing down it makes more sense now to start pushing people to become proficient in administering OSX in a work environment. They should initially price is low as well. No more than 5 tests and no more than $75 per test would get people flocking to it.

Next...someone put a sock in Steve Jobs' mouth. Sometime he paints Apple into corners that he shouldn't. Convergence is much hyped but computer companies need to look at how they can complement todays HDTV Digital Televisions. Steve has made far too many shortsighted comments about "brains turning off" in regards to television. I fear Apple is missing out on a genuine opportunity to do some good here. PCs shouldn't be leading Macs in multimedia features.

Xcode. Despite the rapid application development promised by ObjC it's still very expensive to develop a world class application. I hope developers are very enthused with what Tiger has to offer. Honestly OSX has been excellent in this regard. Who would have thought that companies like Connectix wouldn't survive the transition. Who would have thought we'd have so many new companies coming out of nowhere with excellent products.

It's important for Apple to develop "Proof of concept" apps. iLife does just that somewhat but there are other areas that Apple should be setting up the infrastructure for developers to build upon.

Just 3 weeks to go. I'm excited.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Thanks hmurchison!

I am hoping WWDC will give everyone a clear direction on where Apple is headed. This doesn't need to be done by preannouncing hardware, just telling everyone what they plan to focus on.

Is Apple aiming to take over the enterprise, the latest xprojects look like they are, or is it more of a whim.

Will Apple be ready to support developers? I know Apple Software engineers are on crack and can release new OS revisions every 6 days, but the regular software developer doesn't have the time or the resources t update with the Jaguars, Panthers, and Tigers...forget about the little ones.

The digital hub? Well isn't the TV part of the hub? We have ilife, but what about the pros? How about more integration with the DSP, FCPs, Shake, Photoshop and so on. Where is the project manangement tools for the pros?

iPod division? What will happen here, all iPods all the time, or a larger "digital accessory" division.

And apple should be upfront about who is developing for the platform. We have seen some high profile programs jump ship lately, what about the succeses?

And of course Apple needs to focus on integration, and let these people know that Apple plays fair with others, whether is is PCs, Resellers, Consumers or Developers.

Bring on WWDC (and the g5 powerbooks, but that is another story.