Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
  • Reply 42 of 61
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Reagan's Liberal Legacy

That's hillarious. SDW, you always claim that Reagan cutting taxes increased the tax base, but this article explains a contradictory view. What do you think?
  • Reply 43 of 61
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Excellent article here by William Rivers Pitt...a slightly more realistic story than the one-sided ersatz blandiosity presented by our currently pathetic corporate media, which Reagan himself helped to create by his policies: [/B]

then later

Quote:

The truth is straightforward: Virtually every significant problem facing the American people today can be traced back to the policies and people that came from the Reagan administration.

Realistic indeed.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    finagainfinagain Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Some favorite Reagan moments:

Cutting student loans and raising taxes on students.

Bonzo goes to Bittburg, my favorite Ramones song.

Huge deficits

Savings and Loan fiasco

The start of the drug war.

The air traffic controllers thing, death of the labor movement in this country if you ask me.

The start of the rightward tilt that this country has been on and is now peaking.

Nancy consulting astrologers.

Iran Contra

Stealing Carter's campaign notes.

He did give America a kick in the ass and got people's spirits up, which is something that was needed at the time. Didn't like the guy, thought he was misguided, but at least he wasn't pure evil like shrub I and II.

Congratulations, you're endoctrination is complete. Step to the Left (again); please make room for the next drone.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    maxparrishmaxparrish Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

66 (Unflattering) Things About Ronald Reagan

By David Corn, The Nation

June 6, 2004

Editor's Note: This list of "66 Things to Think about When Flying in to Reagan National Airport" appeared in the Nation on March 2, 1998 after the renaming of Washington National Airport after Ronald Reagan. As Corn says, "the piece remains relevant today ? particularly as a cheat sheet for those who dare to point out the Reagan presidency was not all that glorious and was more nightmare in America than morning in America."

Obviously the author assumes that the invocation of every trigger phrase will bring self-evident doubt. For those of us that are not in the liberal choir (and do not have the Pavlovian response to pull our hair over the mention of astrolgers, naps, and qouta shortfalls on female appointments)we suggest one show a little less fever and a little more learned reflection.

The greatness (or importance if you prefer) of Reagan?s Presidency in the later half of the 20th century eminates not only from his policies, but also from his impact on politics. Reagan?s three great areas of accomplishment were:

1) Creating the most significant economic reforms since the New Deal, including: the overhaul of the income tax code (and massive rate reduction), establishing ?supply? side economics (and deficit spending) as the ?third alternative? to monetarist and Keynesian macro policy; and deregulating major sectors of the American economy (e.g. transportation & energy). As a result he has been credited with ending the decade?s stagflation (reaching 21% interest rates with nearly 9% unemployment ? a calamity by any measure), gas rationing, etc.

2) Dramatically reversing the cold war and driving the Soviet Empire into near bankruptcy as it desperately sought to counter growing American military power, new technologies, and a revitalized US economy. Reagan?s assault on détente; his commitment to reverse communist advances in Afghanistan, Nicaragua, Grenada, and other countries; his deployment of Pershing II?s and the MX; his rejection of the flawed Reykjavik summit; his overt and public attacks on the Evil Empire?s repression of Soviet dissidents and Solidarity; and his creation and support of a path-breaking Star War?s missile defense were a dramatic abandonment of the Carter (and Nixon) doctrines. As his critic Stephen Cohen of Princeton said in 83, Reagan set out "to abandon both containment and detente for a very different objective: destroying the Soviet Union as a world power and possibly its communist system." And he did.

3)\tReshaping the political landscape of liberalism and conservatism. Liberals that were once thought of as ?progressive? were recast into demons of collectivism - as weak and elitist, and no longer in touch with the common man. Perhaps some of you can remember one of the worst moments for liberalism as a result of the 1984 democratic national convention IN SAN FRANCISCO. Reagan coined (or at least popularized the term) of derision: ?he is a ?San Francisco Democrat?. Since then, admitting one is a ?liberal? is a ticket to national political suicide (I believe Dukakus last used it last).

That die hard critics feel compelled to oppose those accomplishments by listing every possible petty grievance as a retort may tell us just how effective Reagan was.

Yes, the world has changed because of Ronald Reagan.

P.S. Now that you mention it, of the 66 things, here are those that made my morning in America:

*The firing of the air traffic controllers,

*Aiming to win a nuclear war,

*Checking Enviromental nonsense

*Elliott Abrams NOT lying to Congress (read his book)

*voodoo economics,

*budget deficits,

*public housing cutbacks,

*redbaiting the nuclear freeze movement,

*James Watt (a good fellow).

*Air raids on Libya,

"Constructive engagement" with apartheid South Africa,

*United States Information Agency blacklists of liberal speakers,

*attacks on OSHA and workplace safety,

*the invasion of Grenada,

*female appointees (8 percent),

*mining harbors,

*The bombing begins in five minutes,"

*African-American judicial appointees (1.9 percent)

*Iran/contra.

"Facts are stupid things,"

*three-by-five cards,

*the MX missile,

*Bitburg,

*S.D.I.,

*Robert Bork
  • Reply 46 of 61
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I shall miss that fine old man, his exuberant love for America and his ability to rise above the pettiness of politics to recapture the raw spirit of our nation. You should all hope to live a life as full as his.

Goodbye President Reagan, I'll miss you.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I really like the CNN graphic that they've used for Reagan, the style of which I've seen them use before for obituaries.

How do I print it? Safari is being 'helpful' and automatically stripping out the black background and graphic, whether I print or save to PDF. I can't find a preference setting to change this behaviour.

When did Apple start building software like Redmond?
  • Reply 48 of 61
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    When the print dialogue box slides down look for the third popup box which says "Copies & Pages". Click on it and look for an option that says "Safari". Pick that then look for a single checkbox that says "Print Backgrounds".

Check it and hit print.

If you want to print backgrounds a LOT out of Safari then fix all your settings the way that you want them (including the backgrounds setting mentioned above), go to the second popup from the top "Presets:Standard" and click it, slip down to the "Save As..." option and name this print setup. Next time you print out of Safari you can either print WITH backgrounds or WITHOUT, depending on which preset you select.

Welcome to the world of power printing!

When President Reagan was in office my Atari 800XL had a Star Micronics printer...no presets at all. Much simpler times we had!
  • Reply 49 of 61
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hey Jubelum this is for you.

• Reply 50 of 61
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Dumbass puppet Reagan was just the smiley face fronting for the Republican Right Wing death machine of his time. He directly signed off on the creation, training, funding and supply of latin american right wing death squads responsible for a quarter of a million civilian murders in several latin american countries during his presidency. That makes him a mass murderer, kids. History will not be so kind to the memory of Ronald Reagan, as his crimes against humanity rank among the more callous & cynical ever committed.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

Dumbass puppet Reagan was just the smiley face fronting for the Republican Right Wing death machine of his time. He directly signed off on the creation, training, funding and supply of latin american right wing death squads responsible for a quarter of a million civilian murders in several latin american countries during his presidency. That makes him a mass murderer, kids. History will not be so kind to the memory of Ronald Reagan, as his crimes against humanity rank among the more callous & cynical ever committed.

Someone pass the can of Troll-Off.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

That's hillarious. SDW, you always claim that Reagan cutting taxes increased the tax base, but this article explains a contradictory view. What do you think?

I think the article is absurd. I believe Scott did a nice job of demonstrating that. The effect of Reagan's tax cuts is indisputable.

I have to say this is all amusing, in terms of the progression of the Left's thinking.

1980: Tax Cuts won't work. They will cause disaster.

1984: Tax Cuts weren't the reason we emerged from a near-depression.

1987: Iran Contra! Iran Contra!

1988: Fuck! Another Republican!

1992: Bush Raised Taxes! He's no Reagan! Vote for Clinton!

1993: Taxes are too low. Let's raise them. A lot.

1994: I feel your pain.

1996: The economy is all better! We love you Bill!

1998: Uhh...Bill....about this intern/lying/cigar thing....

2001: Tax Cuts in 1981 plunged this country into darkness. No, no...the economy was terrible in the 1980's.

2002: Hmm....tax cuts not working yet. Nah.nah.nah....fuck! We got our asses kicked in the mid-terms! What the huh?

2003: OH COME ON! Tax cuts don't work! How many times do we have to tell you that?

2004: Tax cuts have nothing to do with the recovery. In fact, it's not even really a recovery...it's more like a "un-slowdown".

Today: Reagan raised taxes. He didn't cut them. He was a liberal in every sense of the word!

• Reply 53 of 61
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Someone pass the can of Troll-Off.

Yes, as long as it is happening to little brown people somewhere far away, and we are getting rich on it, why bother to think about it?
  • Reply 54 of 61
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    SDW tell us about Iran Contra. Tell us about anything actually in the 80s that was happening in South America.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Didn't Reagan raise taxes in 82?

And triple the deficit?

Balancing the federal budget is much better for the economy than cutting taxes for the top 10% and running up a huge deficit.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I think the article is absurd. I believe Scott did a nice job of demonstrating that.

And SDW proves once again that he doesn't actually read before posting.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    maxparrishmaxparrish Posts: 840member
    SDW,

Have you noticed the bitter, petty, and almost juvenile criticism of Reagan in some of these posts? Do they seriously think that posting whiney cartoons and hair pulling bitterness will rewrite the history of Reagan's presidency?

What a poor benighted bunch.

Max
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

Yes, as long as it is happening to little brown people somewhere far away, and we are getting rich on it, why bother to think about it?

Right, because THAT'S what I was saying.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

SDW tell us about Iran Contra. Tell us about anything actually in the 80s that was happening in South America.

Ahh...the old liberal trick: Don't argue the facts. Instead, paint your opponent as stupid and uninformed, despite not being able prove you yourself are any more qualified to discuss the topic. I'm not playing that game.

If you have evidence showing Reagan killed 250,000 people, was callous, cynical and generally a giant bastard, then please: POST IT.

Quote:

Didn't Reagan raise taxes in 82?

And triple the deficit?

Balancing the federal budget is much better for the economy than cutting taxes for the top 10% and running up a huge deficit.

Care to support that claim? I'd like to see some evidence of it.

As far as taxes being raised, I don't believe the rates were raised (on income). Though, the law was changed many times, closing loopholes and eliminating deductions such as credit card interest, for example.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    giant

Quote:

And SDW proves once again that he doesn't actually read before posting.

giant, if you have nothing to contribute, then please do us all a favor and shut the fuck up.