AirPort Express & AirTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Until a remote becomes available (guessing 3-6 months?), I suspect this will also help push more PB and iBook sales...since most are too damn lazy to get up and walk over to our desktops!

The iPod IS the remote. Expect wireless features added to the ipod. You'll have the choice to either stream directly from teh iPod or abdicate control to iTunes where then the iPod controls track access.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The iPod IS the remote. Expect wireless features added to the ipod. You'll have the choice to either stream directly from teh iPod or abdicate control to iTunes where then the iPod controls track access.

exactly!

but till then my sailing clicker will be getting a hammering
  • Reply 23 of 55
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Using the iPod to control iTunes on a remote desktop or laptop I could *almost* see. With a quick automatic sleepmode to save battery time. You could just take it and go. But this means anyone else stuck at home has no remote because you're out jogging with it.

Streaming the music from my iPod I would not want for a googol of reasons.

(Listing only a few )

1. Wear on the hard iPod drive. (If this means you are now using it full time instead of half the time). Better to do home play time from bigger drives on a Mac/PC.

2. More wear on battery time for the iPod (unless you are going to put it neatly back into a charging cradle every time you tweak playback.). It might need charging just by the time you want to take it to go outside because you used it all day as a remote. Bummer.

3. Makes the iPod more prone to breaking for a task better suited for a "dumb" (albeit still fairly smart), cheaper remote.

Frankly, a thin-client (no drive at all, nada music on it, just networking) faux iPod would be the best. Acts like an iPod (charges in the same cradle ideally!). Would be lighter too.

I think a more ergo-correct form factor that still fits in a cradle would be great. By ergo I mean as a remote, it should have some indents on the back for a comfy feel and some feet so it doesn't sit flat. But the front would be standard iPod, same screen and wheel.

Sony has slabs but a but of curve could distinguish it from an actual iPod enough so that you don't take the remote jogging by accident
  • Reply 24 of 55
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    OTOH, if the iPod is mated to a host Mac on the network, then the iPod has a subset of the music 'on the mothership'. You can use it to select *locally* on the iPod, send a command to the *server* saying "Play this song, I know you've got it, because I got it from you.". Almost no battery or disk wear on the iPod.

You could also have the song list from the server download to the iPod, and just use it as a convenient remote.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Apple is going to sell a million of these devices to college students. They will be perfect for a dorm room.

I wonder if there will be easy to use password protection. Since most people do not turn on password protection it will probably be easy to take control of a neighbor's stereo.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Holy smokes!

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edi...ives/000212.php

Now I know why Apple created Apple lossless

For those wondering if AirPort Express supports MP3, AAC, or any other specific file formats, the answer is no. AirPort Express supports Apple's Lossless Compression technology -- and everything that your iTunes streams across the network to Airport Express is compressed using that technology.

iTunes does the heavy lifting. When iTunes plays back standard audio content (AAC, MP3, audiobooks, music streams), it decompresses those file formats and creates what's essentially a raw, uncompressed audio stream. That stream is compressed on the fly using Apple's Lossless Compression, encrypted, and sent to the AirPort Express. AirPort Express decrypts the stream, decodes it, and outputs it in either analog format (if you plug in a standard analog mini jack) or as a digital PCM stream (if you plug in a mini-sized optical cable, which you can get from most major cable suppliers or straight from Apple for $39).

Amazing all that work just to get the audio from iTunes to your stereo.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    bsharpbsharp Posts: 64member
  • Reply 28 of 55
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Apple is going to sell a million of these devices to college students. They will be perfect for a dorm room.

I wonder if there will be easy to use password protection. Since most people do not turn on password protection it will probably be easy to take control of a neighbor's stereo.

hummmmm.....crash the party by jamming their signal with ohhh.....say, a recording of myself talking smack, lower it a few ochtaves and mix it with thunder, something like "BREAK UP THIS PARTY NOW, YOU ARE LIVEING IN SIN!!! REPENT!!!" and then BLAM with the loudest thunder ya ever heard..., then just sit back and watch the carnage...

I am evil
  • Reply 29 of 55
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jante99

[B]Apple is going to sell a million of these devices to college students. They will be perfect for a dorm room.

Right on... I will be picking this up. I can print to my roomates' printer without having to take my computer to it, and have wireless internet. This has got to be the best thing since Apple's last new product. Looks like I am going to be spending more money.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Apple is messing with our heads and this board's organization. It's hardware, it's the digital hub, it's news, it's all these things and so much more!
  • Reply 31 of 55
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    It isnt like Apple to introduce new products that doesnt blow the competition away.. However, why didn't apple do something like this ? Now with the easy iTunes way of playing your tunes, and this full-colored remote, Apple would have THE killer application!!

link: http://www.sonos.com/products/

A bit on the expesive side, but Apple only need the remote to be on track!

This could be waporvare, considering two facts:

1. No products have been shipped yet

2. That scroll wheel looks a bit TOO much like the one on my first-gen iPod!

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    smatanovicsmatanovic Posts: 120member
    Anyone know if this will integrate into a non-apple wireless environment (i.e. can I use it in conjunction with my existing netgear wireless network)?
  • Reply 33 of 55
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    hey it's also a cool repeater, so placement could be out of the way, gain coverage and work your stereo

it's also a PORTABLE wireless router, take to work, play,hotel dance the great life great addition to the road warrior and student

NEXT THING----car audio device, BT wired or something that is as cool!!!!

no one saw this coming and it's the tip of the iceberg, look what sony did with the walkman, this is the walkman explosion all over again. great to see apple stealing all the thunder, it solidifies apple's digital music added value. now what does napter do....hmmmmm

apple empowers people, windows entraps them, hey bill how about them apples!!!!!

WE NEED AN ELEGANT SOLUTION--APPLE SOLUTION--FOR CAR AUDIO

this will complete at least this circle.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    ape_manape_man Posts: 29member
    Does anyone think that apple may licence the ipod to stereo equipment like the HP deal but along with ths technology?

I think that we could see home stereo components with built in Wi-Fi and iPod like functionallity that could select or make it's its own playlists from shared itunes library's. Or car stereos that can naitively control a connected iPod, or maybe a 4G iPod and new car stereo both with Wi-Fi and.. well you see what I mean.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ape_Man

Does anyone think that apple may licence the ipod to stereo equipment like the HP deal but along with ths technology?

I think that we could see home stereo components with built in Wi-Fi and iPod like functionallity that could select or make it's its own playlists from shared itunes library's. Or car stereos that can naitively control a connected iPod, or maybe a 4G iPod and new car stereo both with Wi-Fi and.. well you see what I mean.

I have been thinking about this lately, and my comclusion is: How hard would it be for Apple to create a car stereo based on the iPod ? Its a normal car stereo with CD player, FM tuner and all. In addition it has one of Toshibas microdrives in it. This unit will either have built in WiFi to sync with your mac from the garage, or a detachable microdrive.

Most car stereos today have a part that you can take off, be it a smart card, the front display, or whatever. The iCar would have you take out the microdrive. Supply a dockingstation for it to sync tunes from your Mac or PC, an on-steering wheel controller, and a in-dashboard display.

If apple doesnt do this, how hard would it be for a third party to supply a docing station for the iPod in the armrest, and a controller on the steering wheel. Shouldn't be that hard to reverse engineer the controller...

Now why doesn't Apple supply something for my car ? A LOT of people spend 2 to 3 hours in their cars driving to/from work. a lot of people WORK in their cars. This would be the ultimate solution to them. Bring-Your-Own microdrive with 4GB of music....

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    macmaniacmacmaniac Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Can the audio go both ways? i.e. can I play my iTunes on the stereo AND archive say, casette tapes or AM radio?(My recever has optical in and out.)

To record analog output from your stereo, try Audiocorder, from Black Cat Systems at http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/audiocorder.html . It's easy to use and the only hardware you need are long enough cables(I'm not sure if Audiocorder supports optical input).

Good luck,

Steve 8)
  • Reply 37 of 55
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I'm weary of the device because it's the power supply that I have for my pBook. My plug doesn't sit correctly in any outlet, it moves and thus it sparks and crackles. I have to pop a wire underneath it to create a angle to which it can hold itself up. Also, you lose the outlet underneath because it can't be plugged in upside down. Cool idea, bad design and implementation.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

I'm weary of the device because it's the power supply that I have for my pBook. My plug doesn't sit correctly in any outlet, it moves and thus it sparks and crackles. I have to pop a wire underneath it to create a angle to which it can hold itself up. Also, you lose the outlet underneath because it can't be plugged in upside down. Cool idea, bad design and implementation.

(You meant "leery")

See that plug in the upper right corner (top corner in GIF below) of the Express? It is removable. You can plug in a standard (albeit longer) cable to it.

With the extension, a regular plug is used rather than resting the brick itself on the outlet/strip.

Seen in the last frame in this Apple animated GIF:

Which begs the question, why aren't you using the same solution for the PowerBook? Or did you not realize what that cable was for? (Not sarcastic, I overlooked it originally.)

Granted there should be a mini version, like 1 foot.

Pretty good design actually: options.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Replace the outlet.

No, seriously. There are little prongs in there that hold the plug tines in tightly... or they should. After years they can wear out.

Also, if you are blocking the other outlet, no matter which one you plug it into, then one of them is rotated 180deg from what it should be. Take it out, put it back in the right way. Or, since many older dual outlet boxes have one rotated as 'normal', get yourself a new modern outlet and install it.

I did this in our house, and grounded them all to boot. Went from ungrounded 1940 outlets that plugs would literally fall out of to nice new shiny grounded ones that things *stay* plugged in.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    "... The third place is in the car -- right now the solutions out there aren't very good..."

I dunno. I bought the iPod mini with an iTrip. It worked great in several different cars, driving across 3 states with nary a need to change frequency. I used it to play over the stereo at home, and last night at a bar, I noticed they were playing the radio... now if I just knew what station, I could have surreptitiously filled that bar with my own music!

Of course even with a perfect FM signal, it can't be as good as a direct connect player, but it sounded fine over a very good stereo system (as good as the clearest FM station could ever be), and it's nice to know I can subject ANYONE I visit to my musical taste as long as they have an FM receiver!