What exactly is the Airport Express?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    The airport base stations are obselete with the release of this device. I wonder what they mean by not all ISPs are compatible?
  • Reply 22 of 23
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It only extends the current WiFi network if the main base station is an Apple one... 802.11x allows for vendor specific variances that can keep them from interoperating.

aw, crap... i have just moved, and have a linksys router and linksys wireless-g card in my g4, and they work fine, except for the fact that the walls in my house have a magical ability to block signals of ANY sort, so i thought "hey, great excuse to pick up an airport express station to help extend the network!"

they all use the broadcom chipset, and are recognized natively by mac os x panther and the latest airport software, but is there any way to know whether they will inter-operate BEFORE buying the airport express station? (checkign the linksys website is useless, as they seem phobic about even MENTIONING mac compatibility, even though they are).

sigh, i hope it would work... it would act great as a bridge in my living room, AND allow for airtunes to my stereo there.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    My old G4 doesn?t have an Airport card installed yet, and its not compatible with Airport Extreme. Can I connect an Airport Extreme Base Station directly to it via Ethernet and have it work with Airtunes and the Express unit as if it were compatible with Extreme? I know Airtunes does not require Extreme, but my Powerbook G5 will.