It's time to clockwork orange Steve

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Jobs: The problem is, when you're using your computer you're a foot away from it, you know? When you're using your television you want to be ten feet away from it. So they're really different animals.

Yet he has no problem with me getting up, walking to another room to my computer just to change a song? Maybe he needs to rethink that approach.

My personal feeling is that the new Airport Express will completely cannabalize Airport Extreme base module sales and Apple knows it. Therefore, new basestations will have to offer more, and what they can offer is video. Whether using MPEG4 or another technology a $300 Airport with the ability to stream video and a remote control will sell like crazy.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TKN

Yet he has no problem with me getting up, walking to another room to my computer just to change a song? Maybe he needs to rethink that approach.

AirPort Express is all about portability. It's a tiny device you can toss in your briefcase; the perfect mate for an iBook or PowerBook. Most wireless networking is done by laptop users, meaning your computer is able to be in whichever room you are. Why do you need a remote if your iBook is right there on the coffee table? Fewer people have wireless cards in their desktop computers, though a multi-use device such as this is likely to encourage that upgrade for some.

Apple has freely stated that they expect the new mini Base Station to be purchased by most home users (a.k.a. cannibalize sales), while businesses and schools, who need its 50-user capacity, will opt for the more expensive AirPort Extreme Base Station.

That said, you're probably right that some future device or upgrade will add video capabilities to AirPort. It makes sense as another way to display your iMovie and iPhoto collections, but I really don't see Apple getting into the DVR game. TiVo is already out there with a very elegant solution, and Apple has worked with them to build in links to iTunes and iPhoto. Both companies are wise enough to stay away from official support of DiVX files and the like. That will always be the domain for more hacked-together solutions.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Netflix and TiVo should merge to create the ultimate VOD solution. Time-shift regular TV, and have a huge library of movies available to download to your TiVo on demand. Just like the current Netflix structure, you'd be allowed to keep 3 movies on your DVR at a time for as long as you want, but have to delete one to get the next movie in your queue.

(I just ask for a 1% finder's fee on the value of that merger!)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5915470/site/newsweek/

What... there's no smiley with $$ for eyes?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    I think Apple will allow video streaming in the future. Apple has contributed to H.264. That is worth more than a set of half baked solutions that try to mate a horse and a donkey. (mules don't count). After the advent of MacOS 10.4, I think we might see more work in this area.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Exactly! El Gato obviously got it working as have several PC solutions.

Perhaps, but are they selling?