Ts + New Displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    BTW, I bet the base will be the whole width of the monitor.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The case is fine. Hell my eyes would be on the screen and that's where Apple needs to put the attention. Let's get sub 16ms response and excellent contrast ratio and I'm happy.

I will be green with envy the firt time I see a 30" though.
  • Reply 23 of 98
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    So what happens to people who already have an ADC monitor?

Will the new G5s still support it, or will they have to buy an converter?
  • Reply 24 of 98
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    As for the base, yeah the one shown in TS mockup does look oddly small and lacking...like the thing is going to tip over with a sneeze or hard sigh.

You know what it might be more like? Check out those Eyegonomic displays (I've raved about them here before, over the past year). Check out, in particular, that T17 model...check out its base/support.

Something like that perhaps?

You watch...Ive probably ripped these guys off BIG TIME.

• Reply 25 of 98
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

So what happens to people who already have an ADC monitor?

Will the new G5s still support it, or will they have to buy an converter?

Good question. If I know Apple, if they drop ADC in displays, they'll immediately drop ADC in computers too. "Tough luck folks, gotta buy a new display now (or DVI to ADC adapter)."

Don't get me wrong, dumping ADC is something I've long hoped Apple would do.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    seanlseanl Posts: 39member
    Hmmm, that's interesting.

Remember how the cube had a clear base so it appeared to float?

A mostly aluminum display could use that approach as well...

(this is where I write 'you heard it from me first')
  • Reply 27 of 98
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Gee, I'm late to this party but tried to do the same thing (flesh out the dark TS image).

• Reply 28 of 98
    Since LG.Philips makes the glass for the current 23 inch display, this story from the recent SID show lends support to the reality of a 30-inch display

?Other companies are introducing very large monitors, such as LG.Philips LCD, with its 30-inch WQXGA (2560x1600) multi-functional product. ?

http://www.global-electronics.net/id...tries_ID/50815
  • Reply 29 of 98
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by roverone

Since LG.Philips makes the glass for the current 23 inch display, this story from the recent SID show lends support to the reality of a 30-inch display

?Other companies are introducing very large monitors, such as LG.Philips LCD, with its 30-inch WQXGA (2560x1600) multi-functional product. ?

http://www.global-electronics.net/id...tries_ID/50815

I thought Apple Cinema Displays were actually samsungs.
  • Reply 30 of 98
    roveroneroverone Posts: 9member
    No, Samsung makes 24-inch glass, the current Apple 23-inch display uses this panel:

http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/en/prod...g=view&idx=124

There is a better 23-inch panel now. Better luminance, color saturation, contrast ratio, and response time. This new panel will likely be in the new 23-inch from Apple:

http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/en/prod...g=view&idx=175
  • Reply 31 of 98
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I've seen several monitors that look almost exactly like that. Go to Best Buy and look at the Dell and HP monitors. They're nicely adjustable (more adjustable than the current Apple tripod setup). The bases are wider, however, and of course they're black plastic, sometimes with a little foil.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There are some interesting variations with this rumor, that together suggest a strategy shift.

1) DVI;

2) Physical controls on the monitor;

3) Full adjustability.

Why would you do all this? Because Apple has noticed that enough PC users are snapping up their Cinema Displays that they're going to liberate the display line from its current role as a value-add for PowerMacs.

DVI makes it usable with everything. Physical controls allow the monitor to be configured without a Mac (control on the Mac will still be better integrated, but currently no configuration is possible unless you have one). Full adjustability hugely increases the desirability of the monitors generally — the only monitors with similar adjustability either cost a fortune or require cumbersome and expensive mounts.
  • Reply 33 of 98
    It might night be as unstable as it looks. The stand doesn't attach to the bottom of the screen. It stems from the center of the back or above which would make it more stable. Something to do with the center of gravity. I wonder what the weight of the 30" would be.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    ME TOO!!!

• Reply 35 of 98
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, there you go...something like that. Those Eyegonomic displays have really cool center-mounted supports, which I guess allows for a deceptively smaller base? I don't know physics and whatnot, so I'm just guessing...

In other word's, it's not really "top heavy" as much as one might suspect because of where the support connects to the display?

I don't know...I'm an idiot.

• Reply 36 of 98
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    So where *are* these displays? What's Apple waiting for? Kinda odd.
  • Reply 37 of 98
    I'm looking to a get a Dual 2 G5(Updated) but now that the displays are not out, should I:

1. Get a G5 now, and wait till WWDC to order my display.

2. Wait untill WWDC to order both together.

HELP!!!
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Whatever is gonna happen with these monitors is going to happen soon.

Apple is clearly attempting to relieve itself of whatever supply of the 23" monitors that it has.

Although they dont want to throw them in the hypothetical bargain bin... they are offering $500 off when you buy a G5 and a 23" cinema display.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

Whatever is gonna happen with these monitors is going to happen soon.

Hahah! Translation: "I know nothing about these monitors or when they will come out."

Heck, rumor sites completely fabricated everything about the new PowerMac lineup since January. Nobody knows ANYTHING about Apple. Apple is the most unpredictable piece of shit ever. You don't know anything about Apple upcoming products unless your name is Steven P. Jobs.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    I didn't claim to have any inside information... but if you look at the facts it seems quite apparent that something will happen soon.

What does it mean when Apple offers a discount on their top of the line desktop and display?

It means that they need to get rid of both. Rid of the G5s that use ADC in order to start selling the ones that rely on DVI only.

And rid of the 23" displays which use ADC.

Doesn't anyone else think it's quite odd that they offer this discount at this time? The only plausable reason is that theyre making the transition to the new monitors as soon as the current ones are sold out.

Just for everyones future reference, anything I post here is purely my own thoughts and speculation. It should not be taken as fact.