motorola has a chance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not only does Motorola have a chance, they are almost a shoe-in. Well, either them or IBM lurking in the wings.

Think about it:

G5 has a machine code of PowerMac7,x with a key definition of PowerMac_7_2_PlatformPlugin in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/Info.plist

What is PowerMac8,1 machine code with a key definition of SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin. That is completely new. No, this ain't no G5.

Defining SMU_Neo2 will give you the answer.

This is the Power5 based PPC that will debut in the new XStation and Xclient being announced at WWDC.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

This is nothing short of delusional. When Apple says they'll hit 3GHz they are to be believed, but when they say they won't, they aren't?

I never said that. Had IBM's timeline been pulled off without a hitch, we would have seen 3GHZ.

My point is that what good would it do if Apple said they were going to hit 3GHZ? It would have hurt their sales. The only reason they had to say anything about it is the delay in PowerMac updates and the 3GHZ guarantee.

Apple isn't really the company that controls it, anyways. The POWER5 derivative is thus far moving forward without any serious problems and will be available sooner rather than later. It will scale beyond 3GHZ.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

The POWER5 derivative is thus far moving forward without any serious problems and will be available sooner rather than later. It will scale beyond 3GHZ.

You know of such a critter? Up until now, it has all been hearsay and assumptions. We all know where that leads us (reference: today's PowerMac bump).
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Im praying for something like this to come out within the next 6 months or so:

-Powerbook G5-Mobile (maybe using e600 or e700 w/ 400mhz fsb)

-new Gun Metal case, still roughly 1 inch thick

-All widescreen

-128mb video

-gigabit internet and airport extreme

-superdrives

-1.7ghz 13 inch

-1.8ghz 15 inch

-2.0ghz 15 inch

-2.0ghz 17 inch

\t

of course probably wont fly, maybe IBM has been building something centrino like under wraps.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    This is my opinion that apple will never go back to moto once the G4 dies out. Apple will still lurk to see what moto is doing but, I don't think moto can gain Jobs trust again. I think IBM is here to stay for a while. Even with a no 3 Ghz G5, IBM still gave us a faster machine performance then moto would give us in a year. IBM gave us a faster machine then AMD and Intel gave in a year. IBM is so far giving us a godd and respectful processor upgrade. I would say moto's chance in getting back into gear after the G4 is like 24% in my mind.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

You know of such a critter? Up until now, it has all been hearsay and assumptions. We all know where that leads us (reference: today's PowerMac bump).

I know it exists and, unlike the 970, was developed concurrently with the POWER5. Like the POWER5 to the POWER4+, the new derivative is faster than the 970, clock for clock (a 2.5GHZ POWER5 based CPU is faster than a 2.5GHZ 970FX). There are architecture improvements (I don't know the specifics), improved cache access (okay, I know a specific), and an increase in L2 cache (though, to be honest, my info on this is hazy - it may still only be 512K, but some of the stuff I've gotten implies an increase. They are multi-threaded processors. Future revisions will be multi-threaded and dual core.

As to a few other posts, I doubt Jobs will abandon Motorola. As I've said elsewhere, Apple has cancelled an IBM chip project - and IBM seems to think Motorola's split off of FreeScale will bring Motorola back to the forefront of chip manufacture, so they see them as very, very serious competition. However, Apple will use chips from both manufacturers, I'm pretty sure of this.

IBM has no viable portable processor for Apple reaching production until next year - a SoC CPU that is being devloped with Apple, and it could be cancelled if the SoC e600 is delivered in the somewhat near future (this is speculation on my part, and someone else's).
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Quote:

IBM has no viable portable processor for Apple reaching production until next year - a SoC CPU that is being devloped with Apple, and it could be cancelled if the SoC e600 is delivered in the somewhat near future (this is speculation on my part, and someone else's).

yes yes, go on
  • Reply 28 of 102
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    To me the fact that the new PMs are all duals provides an indication that there will be a next generation G5 iMac fairly soon - and it will be in the traditional AIO form. Experience over the past year showed Apple that a single processor PM is not a hot seller, so why bother.

The iMac range is perfect for the single G5. Reengineered to start around 2 gigs and go up from there - just as the PM case was reengineered last year to go above 2 gigs. If you are going to reengineer the iMac for the G5 you are probably going to get the benefit of Apple's styling genius with something that is as great a leap over the current iMac as the current version is over the original.

A third generation iMac is the logical choice for Apple. Since the lower and mid ranges of the PM is available today (if you were quick to order) it can be assumed that IBM is delivering large quantities of these chips. Enough for a 1.6 gig in the 15" (if it survives), a 1.8 in the stock 17/18" version and a 2.0 in the stock 20" version. BTO would allow an upgrade to 2 gigs in the 17/18" range and, maybe 2,2 on the 20".

AIO is going to be a pain for those that want a headless iMac. AIO has been very successful for Apple and I doubt that they are going to go by the pleas on the rumor boards. AIO is perfect for a lot of people (I'm one waiting for the next generation) and it won't be dropped - "i" will continue to mean AIO. The important thing for the AIO is that it has strong tech features - similar to the PM in areas like FSB.

Headless iMac? Doubt it, but I do see the potential for a PM mini - as soon as WWDC. Pull out one of the G5s, rearrange things so the box will be noticeably smaller (three cooling zones) and keep it one notch from the top of the line. When combined with a 20" display it will be about $200 more than the similar rigged iMac, but will provide the expansion room for those that want it. Most of the parts from the PM could be moved directly over without a significant cost burden.

If the iMac is released before WWDC then a PM mini could be the "one more thing" for Steve's keynote speech - along with an iPod with a color screen (40 gigs until September).

Wild thoughts, but that is what rumor boards are for.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:

I know it exists and, unlike the 970, was developed concurrently with the POWER5. Like the POWER5 to the POWER4+, the new derivative is faster than the 970, clock for clock (a 2.5GHZ POWER5 based CPU is faster than a 2.5GHZ 970FX). There are architecture improvements (I don't know the specifics), improved cache access (okay, I know a specific), and an increase in L2 cache (though, to be honest, my info on this is hazy - it may still only be 512K, but some of the stuff I've gotten implies an increase. They are multi-threaded processors. Future revisions will be multi-threaded and dual core.

As to a few other posts, I doubt Jobs will abandon Motorola. As I've said elsewhere, Apple has cancelled an IBM chip project - and IBM seems to think Motorola's split off of FreeScale will bring Motorola back to the forefront of chip manufacture, so they see them as very, very serious competition. However, Apple will use chips from both manufacturers, I'm pretty sure of this.

Are there model names/numbers to these things?
  • Reply 30 of 102
    a j steva j stev Posts: 79member
    Macphisto speaketh the truth

Why would Job's jetison a supplier that provides him with a hedge against IBM cocking up? Don't forget that during the lost years of the MPC7400, the best IBM could do was incrementally, albeit slowly, improve upon the 750. I note that IBM had other fish to fry elsewhere during this time, but there is a precedent. People rush to praise IBM when they too have a spotty record when it comes to promising the 'bees knees' of processor technology. You only need to look at yesterday to work that one out.

Quote:

IBM has no viable portable processor for Apple reaching production until next year - a SoC CPU that is being devloped with Apple, and it could be cancelled if the SoC e600 is delivered in the somewhat near future (this is speculation on my part, and someone else's). [/B]

Just imagine the Freescale e600 (two 1.6 Ghz cores, 500Mhz FSB, PCI-e) and the IBM PPC 800 (two 750GX cores, 500Mhz FSB, PCI-e) fighting over the eMac, iBook, iMac and Powerbook?

Competition! Bloody Fantastic
  • Reply 31 of 102
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Moto/Freescale have gone from 1.42 to 1.5 in a year, more or less. IBM has gone from 2.0 to 2.5 in a year, more or less. From where I sit, I see the gap widening. Besides, wouldn't an iMac use a lower-clocked G5, anyway? It still seems 1.6 and 1.8 at 90nm is within the realm of plausibility for a revamped iMac.

CV
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

Moto/Freescale have gone from 1.42 to 1.5 in a year, more or less. IBM has gone from 2.0 to 2.5 in a year, more or less. From where I sit, I see the gap widening. Besides, wouldn't an iMac use a lower-clocked G5, anyway? It still seems 1.6 and 1.8 at 90nm is within the realm of plausibility for a revamped iMac.

CV

Actually, the 1.42 G4 was an overclocked CPU. Also, FreeScale's first rollout was the 7447A, which is now in the PowerBooks. They delivered it ahead of schedule - and it was a leftover from Motorola management. The first big delivery from FreeScale is rumored to be due this summer. I feel that we'll see dual core chips from them around the end of the year. The new management and the new fab give me great hope. If you look into the Crolles 2 fab, you'll see that it's one of the world's most advanced. Couple that with FreeScale's teaming up with Phillips and STM. The current roadmap looks really good and I do think they have the management and the fab to reach it.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I'll believe it when I see it...run Doom 3 really fast.

Until then, Freescale/Moto is still the piece of shit it has been for 4 years.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    But really...how can we put any more faith in a company that almost destroyed Apple.

If it wasn't for Steve Jobs' strategies of focusing on things other than processor speed (nice enclosures, digital hub, etc.), Apple would be long dead.

Fuck Motorola and fuck Freescale. Even if Freescale came out with a 5GHz processor tomorrow, I wouldn't touch it with an infinitely long pole.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I seriously doubt the 1.42 was overclocked. Motorola/Freescale has no history with dual core cpu's that I know of, so if I were betting on whether IBM or Motorola/Freescale would introduce a dual core chip first, place my bet on IBM.

As someone mentioned earlier, IBM already announced the 970fx would reach 2.5 GHz. and infered from that, that Jobs goal of reaching 3.0 GHz probably involved a different model. I tend to agree with this logic.

However, the 2.5 GHz 970fx(0.09 µm) typical watts is 50 and the old(0.13 µm) 1.8 GHz 970 typical watts is 51, so does that mean the liquid cooling is mainly for noise reduction/rapid heat flucuations or will the 970fx actually scale to 3.0 GHz.???

Also, throw in the fact that IBM appears to not be using SSDOI yet, all this is pretty much guess work and speculation.\
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Fuck Motorola and fuck Freescale. Even if Freescale came out with a 5GHz processor tomorrow, I wouldn't touch it with an infinitely long pole.

Tell us how you really feel!

Seriously though, where do you think eMac, iMac, iBook and PowerBook CPUs come from. Still Motorola/Freescale. They will be here for the forseeable future. If they give you something good, are you going to turn it away? I would hope not! That's the whole beauty of multiple suppliers. That is why they went to IBM. What if IBM becomes stagnant for a couple years, but then gives Apple a new POWER(whatever) that runs at 5GHz. Would you look the other way?
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

I seriously doubt the 1.42 was overclocked. Motorola/Freescale has no history with dual core cpu's that I know of, so if I were betting on whether IBM or Motorola/Freescale would introduce a dual core chip first, place my bet on IBM.

As someone mentioned earlier, IBM already announced the 970fx would reach 2.5 GHz. and infered from that, that Jobs goal of reaching 3.0 GHz probably involved a different model. I tend to agree with this logic.

However, the 2.5 GHz 970fx(0.09 µm) typical watts is 50 and the old(0.13 µm) 1.8 GHz 970 typical watts is 51, so does that mean the liquid cooling is mainly for noise reduction/rapid heat flucuations or will the 970fx actually scale to 3.0 GHz.???

Also, throw in the fact that IBM appears to not be using SSDOI yet, all this is pretty much guess work and speculation.\

I believe the liquid cooling is for noise reduction. The number of fans in the PowerMac was designed for the same purpose: to make it a fast, quiet workstation. In my experience, it runs very quiet most all of the time. The liquid cooling should just improve that.

Actually, there was a chance that the 970FX would scale to 3GHZ by January. that didn't happen. The yields are too low right now for the 970FZ at 3GHZ, and it would be much hotter (I think around 90W+, but I could be wrong).

The order of events - from what I've been told - is this:

Jobs made the "promise" last year at WWDC. He knew at that time that IBM would be fabbing at 90nm before the end of the year. He knew that IBM was optimistic that the 970FX would have good yields at 3GHZ. My guess is that Steve was hoping for 3GHZ in January at MWSF to really impress the Mac World (double intendre). The problem ended up being that IBM could not even provide ANY 90nm chips, even for the 2GHZ xServe (and it was supposedly scaled back because IBM thought they could ship 2GHZ 970FX in quantity). Even IBM didn't expect these kind of delays. They had thought they'd at least have 2.5GHZ available in mass by February - but they are only now finally shipping these things out.

So, even with the delay, Jobs new that IBM would get the POWER5 derivative out during the summer. Problem is that the delay on the 970FX has pushed the manufacture of the new chip back later in the summer, BUT preliminary tests have indicated that it shouldn't hit any major snags.

So, essentially, IBM and Apple had accounted for delays, but didn't expect the massive delays they ended up getting. My guess is that Apple couldn't wait to update until Sept./Oct. due to slumping sales and they HAD TO put out PowerMac updates in order to get them up a bit. So these machines will ship in July/August. I still think we'll see new chips based on the PPC975 (as most call it here) by October - the current revisions being only a stopgap.

As for the dual-core chip, don't bet on IBM. They do have multi-threaded chips coming up, but FreeScale could be producing a dual-core e600 before the year is out. In many ways, their new fab in Crolles is superior to the Fishkill plant. Without Moto's incompetent management, I fully expect FreeScale to surprise. In fact, a September/October update of the PowerBooks and iBooks featuring new G4s with greater bus speeds, more L2 cache, architectural improvements, and dual-core chips in the PowerBooks woudl not surprise me. If things pan out, I think we could see Apple refresh all of their lineups through the month of October, getting ready for the Christmas season. I'd also love to see some nice iPod/Mac combo deals to try to lure people in with the iPod.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Mr. MacPhisto, those seem to be all plausible events and outcomes. Any clue as to SMU_Neo2 in the 10.3.4 update? To me that just seems to scream, "and now, for something completely different."
  • Reply 39 of 102
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    i hate to say it but im not as interested in this stuff as i used to be.

i think the real action is in wireless.

right now its all about phones.

apple needs to get involved in a big way because that will be the future..period.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

i hate to say it but im not as interested in this stuff as i used to be.

i think the real action is in wireless.

right now its all about phones.

apple needs to get involved in a big way because that will be the future..period.

Wireless? Yes, witness the Airport Express. But phones are best left to the Sonys, Nokias and the rest.