sick of hearing about reagan

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    There are times when events seem to force one to reflect on everything around them. This week has done just that, for me.

Although the events of this week have been expected for a long time, they were but a faint whisper among the loud explosions of a modern presidential election cycle and an ongoing war. I found it utterly astounding that even in death, a great man can dwarf larger than life and seemingly unstoppable forces.

If we were even remotely noticing the events of this week we all saw hundreds of thousands of normal people, like ourselves, travel and stand in line over a period of days, just to be in proximity of Ronald W. Reagan's earthly remains. The overwhelming respect and love seemed their sole motivation.

It was these striking facts that made me reflect upon my own potential for greatness. How does one become great? What is the deciding factor between mere mediocrity and widely recognized greatness?

I realized, upon reflection of the many comments of President Reagan's loved ones, that the most weighty factor was action. Not merely beliefs, thoughts, ideas, dreams or philosophies, but action. We all have grand ideas, deep thoughts, strong beliefs, lofty philosophies and amazing dreams. but great men envision all people benefiting from such things. However, unlike those of us restrained by mediocrity, great men follow these intangibles immediately with altruistic action.

The many personal accounts of President Reagan, brought to mind my own grandfather. A man that had a planetary influence on my life and upbringing. A great man in many an eye, with a story paralleling the former president's as far as selfless action is concerned, a man that was widely loved and sorely missed. I have always thought, "If I could be a quarter of the man he was, I would be doing just fine." So the week's events were ones that effected me in a very unexpected way.

Although none of us can just dub ourselves as great, I would hope that all of us enterprise toward greatness. In going along with that notion, I have decided to take a break from participating in these highly charged and seemingly endless debates, that seem void of positive or even helpful outcome. I am sure that the time I save can be put to use in the real world to benefit real people.

When I first started participating in these discussions, it seemed a good way to promote understanding and maybe learn something. Until I ventured into AO it seemed like a very helpful and up-building place. However, what I am realizing is that I am often arguing with people that had no interest in agreement or positive compromise.

I realize that sitting anonymously behind an appliance typing platitudes and logical deductions is, in itself, an action, but I encourage all here to examine if that choice of action is actually helping anyone. My grandfather always said, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing."

On that note I will end this post and wish all the best. I suppose I will see you around other helpful threads.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    If you had started a thread with this, rather than with the stuff you normally do, you likely wouldn't immediately get attacked from the get-go. While I disagree with you here, this is nonetheless a very nice meditation--and one that would have likely sparked good discussion. Instead, it seems, you've used your best post yet as your swan song.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 43 of 52
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    yeah . . whatever . . . bye Naples . . . the door swings fast watch out . . . (sorry, I reserve the nice comments for people like Fellows and not for people who seem to be fishing for them by poorly copping Fellow's thoughtfulness )

anyway, back on topic:

Ronny Reagan's speech was actually really good. And his sister's as well. His speech got me thinking much about the man . . . and though, seeing him as a man is good, and I felt for him, I did so only because he was a man like other men who die -and it was his, son and his funeral, and so I felt for him. Had I been watching another I also would have felt.

Not to belittle it, I also was aware of the collective focus on the event, aware of how so many people were watching and thinking all sorts of powerful thinks -some positive some negative, and how so many peoplewere implied with one 'man's life

I thought about my father who I love very much and who's political views run very counter to mine . . .

Also, watching Nancy whisper to the casket was actually very powerful.

I wondered what she could be thinking of that they shared together that was not a public moment . . . and if it was those moments that were overwhelming her amidst all the cameras and ect . . . moments like their first love, or breakfast, or whatever . . . I wonder how much of their life felt open to, or contrived for public display?

Anyway, lots of powerful yet ambivalent thoughts and emotions wrapped up in that man .. . a lot of likes and hates, banality and spectacle as well as the banality of spectacle
  • Reply 44 of 52
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I blasted Bonzo goes to Bittburg with the sound on the tv down.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The ceremony in Simi Valley was well worth watching for Michael and Patti's speeches. I don't know why, but I wasn't quite feeling Ron Jr's. C-Span showed everything from the arrival at the airport to the last members of the band strolling past the coffin.

What also kept me watching was the expectancy of Nancy's emotions finally overwhelming her.

Did anybody else notice Wayne Newton, Tom Selleck, Mickey Rooney, Scott Hamilton, Wayne Gretzky among the guests at the funeral? Weird.

How old is Michael Reagan's daughter? ...

Arnie did that cross thingy on his chest wrong, it looked like.

I wonder about the remaining ex-presidents. When any of them die, will they draw this much attention and emotion from the people? Probably not.

The pallbearers set down the casket crooked every single time.

i don't think I had ever watched C-Span for more than a few seconds at a time until yesterday.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

...The pallbearers set down the casket crooked every single time.

right...I seriously doubt that..., these guys reherce this so many times that it is like second nature for them, honestley, did one of theme ever step out of formation?

and what about clinton, dozeing off, or "resting eyes" talk about distastefull...
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

and what about clinton, dozeing off, or "resting eyes" talk about distastefull...

You know, if you weren't blinded by your hatred of Clinton...
  • Reply 48 of 52
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

You know, if you weren't blinded by your hatred of Clinton...

I am not blinded with hatred, I am merely saying that Bill and Hillary clinton appeared to be sleeping or at least resting when they were in the shot on C-Span, everyone in the room with me noticed it.

After the funeral, I turned on Rush limbaugh and he mentioned seeing this on c-span AND nbc-hd, drudge had a Screen capture posted but the file is screwed.

I am not just picking and chooseing, I am simpley saying that he should have had the dignity to stay awake, I mean geese, He can sleep back at the hotel or on the trip back to New York, If it had been anyone else I would be saying the same thing, it just happened to be Bill Clinton.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

[BI am not just picking and chooseing, I am simpley saying that he should have had the dignity to stay awake, I mean geese....... [/B]

He should have had the dignity to remain geese?

Honk if you're blinded by hatred for Clinton!
  • Reply 50 of 52
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I mean geese

• Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:

If it had been anyone else I would be saying the same thing, it just happened to be Bill Clinton.

Suuuuuuure you would.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

right...I seriously doubt that..., these guys rehearse this so many times that it is like second nature for them, honestly, did one of theme ever step out of formation?

Sure they rehearse it over and over, but they can't just mke a correction in the middle of it all if they're just a little bit off-center.