what will you actually do with your Mac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was appalled to see some of the reactions to the latest PowerMac revisions.

The majority of posts on these and other boards were filled complaining and whining regarding the speed increase and the reports that the 3GHz barrier had not yet been reached.

By the way some of you were behaving it was like Apple had betrayed you!?

I was honestly puzzled as to why people were reacting in such a way- which begs the question: what you do actually use your mac for?

Do you use your Mac for employment or entrepreneurial ventures?

Will the magic 3GHz number enable you to do anything that you could not do on say a 1.8 or 2.5 G5 system?? Do you use all this power to just encode mp3's? or do you use for mac for playing video games?

To all those who were disappointed and complained - what do you want a Mac that fast for? And to all those that want these forth coming 2.5 systems- what will you actually do with all that grunt?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    This revision 4 months, or even 2 months ago would have been well received. Now with the announcements from ATI and Nvidia of their PCI-e video cards, and the slower than expected (promised?) scaling of the 970 it is viewed as an overdue and underweliming update. This may have been better received if there were more news, and more reliable, on the scaling of the 970's production problems. That is the biggest drawback to having as much secrecy as Apple has on their products, expectation is built up too much and when you can't match that expectation then your customers are disappointed.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am OK with the clock speed of the new Powermac, but I am disapointed by the lame geforce 5200 pro, shipping in the 1,8 and 2 ghz model. You will argue that you can BTO a radeon 9600 XT for 60 more bucks, but many retailors do not do BTO.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

expectation is built up too much and when you can't match that expectation then your customers are disappointed.

Disappointment in the situation you mention above is a completly natural and predictable reaction. However in order to be disappointed in this fashion you would expect that the disappointment is based upon the expectation that in the future you would purchase a faster PowerMac in order to use it for various work loads accordingly.

So the question still stands- what do / will you do with all that power?

I am honestly puzzled here.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I haven't purchased a Mac yet. Hopefully this year. I eventually plan to run Final Cut Pro 5, DVD Studio Pro, Logic Pro 7 and I'll start dabbling in a 3d App.

I don't need a dual 3Ghz for this. Just patience and lot's of RAM. I'm far from disappointed with this release. Disappointing was watching Apple stuck with a 500Mhz G4 for a year and a half and hearing the laughter as PCs demolished Apple in every test. No we have a system that can meet and beat the "wunderkind" AMD Opteron systems but that means nothing to some fanboys who see only the value of the newest components in terms of machismo and bragging rights.

In retrospect I look at my own desires about PCI express and have to laugh. What motherboard maker makes huge architectureal changes every revision? Rev1 of the G5 motherboard was surely to lead to Rev2 no matter how long it took.

Another misconception is where people think Apple has access to every product supplier out there. The fist initial batch of superdrives were strictly Pioneers. Then eventually Sony became a supplier. Apple would generally have two HD suppliers, Maxtor and I believe Seagate. They need to have these suppliers allocate large sums of product for new launches. So it matters not that Dual Layer burners have "just" hit the market to Apple what matters is them getting the supplies they've spent months preparing for so they can ship their product.

I see a clear rift. On one hand I see producers with their nose to the grindstone cranking out new product. They have no time for speculation and "what ifs" they need to be able to assign a dollar value to each feature. Then there is the consumer who needs everything front loaded because they want that machine to last as long as possible. They won't be able to depreciate it and take write offs. They won't earn income with it. Therefore they are constantly reaching for that last megahert or Megabyte. These are the people flipping out and once they get upset it sours their whole view. Thus PCI becomes a "crippling" technology and HD bays become an untenable situation. Rationality flies out the window. Those of us who have been on AI know this is a bi-annual event. It never fails. See ya in 6 months!
  • Reply 5 of 33
    masahsmasahs Posts: 6member
    I just ordered the dual 2.5. I upgraded the hard drive to 2x250's and the 9600XT to the 9800XT. I also bumped te ram to 2GB, and ordered a 23" display because of the $500 rebate. I am a multimedia designer/developer. I use Final Cut, Director, Flash, DVD studio pro, etc. I do lingo scripting, javascripting, action scripting. I build web pages. I play games. I encode DVD's. My whole music collection is on an external 160 GB fire wire drive that I will hook it up to my new machine. I watch TV on my mac. My band records on my mac with eMagic's Logic. All this and a whole lot more. My current machine is a Dual 450 that I got 4 years ago. I am looking forward to the speed bump. I would have been fine getting the low end dual 1.8 but I just decided to go with the high end.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Ok- its good to see some people purchasing G5 systems actually require top processor performance. I personally use my G5 for print media, video production and multimedia which obviously needs as much cpu performance you can throw at it.

Being a recent 'switcher' I was getting a negative impression of some of mac users who were complaining so vocally.

Its refreshing to see some of you do actually need a G5 and therefore some disappointment is warranted.

btw masahs; enjoy your new beast!
  • Reply 7 of 33
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stylesheet

I was appalled to see some of the reactions to the latest PowerMac revisions.

The majority of posts on these and other boards were filled complaining and whining regarding the speed increase and the reports that the 3GHz barrier had not yet been reached.

By the way some of you were behaving it was like Apple had betrayed you!?

I was honestly puzzled as to why people were reacting in such a way- which begs the question: what you do actually use your mac for?

Do you use your Mac for employment or entrepreneurial ventures?

Will the magic 3GHz number enable you to do anything that you could not do on say a 1.8 or 2.5 G5 system?? Do you use all this power to just encode mp3's? or do you use for mac for playing video games?

To all those who were disappointed and complained - what do you want a Mac that fast for? And to all those that want these forth coming 2.5 systems- what will you actually do with all that grunt?

The fastest of the new Macs have clockspeeds that are 25% faster than the fastest of the original G5s. I would consider that to be a dramatic increase in speed. It is most certainly not lost on me that Apple promised 3 GHz before the end of Summer 2004. Seeing as how Summer 2004 has not even begun, Apple has broken no promise. At any rate, my 2 GHz G5 is serving me well. I will probably not replace it for another 4 or 5 years.

As for what applications people are using, I saw a similar question on MacRumors. One would be hard pressed to locate a true productivity app in the lists submitted by the three respondants. Nothing listed was particularly taxing on the processor. You may surmise that the bellyaching comes from children who are wishing that the computer they can't afford were 500 MHz faster than the one that Apple introduced that they can't afford. This group includes Apple fanboys would love to embarass their Windows-using friends about how much faster Apple's lastest offering is compared to the fastest Intel offering. For at least the next 4 years, however, I will be using my Mac rather than complaining about the Macs I don't have.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    kiwi-in-dckiwi-in-dc Posts: 102member
    I use my Mac for video production - mostly weddings, but I'm also working on a documentary.

For me the upgrade is great - The big issue for me at the moment (on an upgraded DP 1.3 G4) is rendering times in FCP, compression times for MPEG-2 in Compressor, rendering in AE and DVD build times in DVDSP.

I may well order a 2.5 soon - the ROI for me is high as it will reduce my cycle from shoot to final DVD by about 30% from where I am now. Time is money for me.

I could not care less about the video card that's in it - If I want games, I've got a GameCube and my son has a PS2.

For high capacity storage, I use FW800 drives. Plenty fast enough for me doing DV work - If I wanted to do uncompressed SD or HD, I would buy an xRAID. Two drives is fine for me - one for the system, and the other for capturing video. Everything else can be done with Firewire drives.

So, for a small solo video producer like me, the upgrade is very nice and I'm very happy - especially by the liquid cooling as it bodes well for them to be able to scale when they get the wrinkles out of the 90nm process.

The only thing that might make me more concerned about the video card would be Motion - but I'll wait and see how it performs.

This could well be a different story if I was doing 3D work like I used to. Even then, when I was doing it I was more concerned about compositing speed rather than real-time lighting since I used multi-pass renders same as most big studios do - for those who haven't done 3D a lot, you generally don't do a single render with all lighting and texturing, you render each as a pass and then composite them to get the effects you want - much faster to tweak lighting when you can e.g. just re-composite your reflection map to reduce it rather than completely re-rendering.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    if i had enough bling bling to get a new g5, i would get the dual 2.5. sady, i don't have that much, so i'll end up with a dual 2, probably. i use final cut pro, MOTU, pro tools, shake, and aftereffects, and i'm getting into maya a little bit. so, i would like to have a fast computer to run all these .
  • Reply 10 of 33
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    Hello all! I've been trolling some of the forums here for the past few weeks, and I've come across some very nice threads. I'm a Uni student and I've previously owned a Ti 15" and an Alu 15" 1.25 in the past 14months. The problem with powerbooks was resale value. I really couldn't see my self hanging on to one past 3 years, so I ended up selling/buying @ every revision till right now. I was planning on going for a 17" pbook but then the new G5s came out.

I will be getting the dual 2.5 for a couple reasons - plan to keep this machine for ages, I simply do not see my *use* of computers changing drastically in the next few years - but then again new software may call for an upgrade. I use quite a bit of Photoshop, iMove, iDVD and a little bit of Final Cut Express. I want to give garadge band a try. The extra hdd bay in the G5 will be utilized pretty soon and I'll be hogging the 8X SD quite a bit. Will buy this BTO with 128MB 9800XT, 1Gig ram, BT and AE.

Plan to use Maya a bit as well - apart from everything else I do - that probably won't be as power hungry as what I've mentioned above.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    You know, I must say I too was dissapointed by he lack od PCI-e butg for my use the dual 1.8 would suffice. My plan though is to this fall bite the bullet and purchase the DP 2.5 simply becuse of the tech of the cooling system and hopefully quieter opperation (used in a small recording studio). I will upgrade the Video Card and I hope that ATI and nVidia continue AGP cards for the next couple of years. I don't want to burned as I was when I bought my nubus based PowerMac 2wks before Apple went PCI. Nubus was gone within a year.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I use my iMac as a digital hub for my photos, music and movies. Just like in the ads. I also use it to edit documentaries and put them to DVD. I went to fiilm school in the 90's and my Mac is a dream machine compared to the equipment we used then!

I have an 800mhz 17in iMac which struggles a little with iDVD and occasionally becomes a little wheezy if pushed. I have, however, yet to upgrade the RAM from the original 256mb. Once I do this and upgrade to OSX.4 later this year I expect to get at least another two years out of the old girl. Might even invest in an external firewire HD?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Stylesheet,

I am waiting for something like a 2GHz G5 iMac. I can promise you that I can sufficiently use up that much processing power.

But I think that there won't be a 2GHz G5 iMac until there is at least a 3GHz dual G5 Powermac. So that's why I am disappointed. Kind of in a indirect way.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    I don't know if it counts as "me" using all that power. But it looks like i will have the influence to choose the configuration of 30 macs to be published by my school. I personally want 2.5 GHZ g5's with a 9800XT on one. I know that I would be using that little group @ night when no1 else is to run things like neural network simulations and cognitive modeling simulations. Each cpu is its own sim, With A different parameter. Basically I have a genetic algorithm set up to breed these tests. So ya... I like and could use Power.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Some of us have an entirely different line of reasoning regarding Powermacs. First some of us are not professionals, but do want a headless Mac that we can expand. The number of threads addressing this here and at other forums is quite large. Apple still hasn't provided anything reasonable in this regard.

The other issue is that Apple won't let the specs of their various lines cross. So if the PowerMac lines only gets X, then you know the updates in other product line areas are now only going to get Y. This means those of us further down the line know we aren't going to get what we want either.

For example say I was shopping for the updated iMac. We can now conclude that the iMac's non-upgradeable video graphics chip is likely to remain the 5200 even if they knock it up to a G5. If Apple believes they can sell $2500 with that card, why would they believe the iMac needs something different? People can shrug it off for $60 at the PowerMac level, but below that there isn't a way to do that. It just means Apple stays stuck at 2% marketshare and the iMac's sit on the shelf.

You can see this in all the "pro" areas of Apple's product line. They won't allow the iBook to have a better chipset or higher speed cpu than the Powerbooks. So if the Powerbook update were underwhelming, the prosumers and consumers will complain as well because they know it doesn't look good for their preferred product as well.

So no I don't need a dual 2.5 ghz monster. But I know since they are willing to ship that monster with only a 9600xt video card (stock) that the eMac, iMac, or iBook I look into are probably going to be stuck with something worse.

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Professional video production using uncompressed Digital Beta format, editing of an animated series (Which just got picked up by 3 major distibutors wordwide ) in that same uncompressed DigiBeta format. A LOT of DVD authoring and creation. Targa 3000 breakout boxes in Pro Digital and Analog configurations using Cinewave with a HUGE Systems Raid Array giving me an addition terabyte of storage for the 13 episodes. So yeah...the extra 500 Mhz on each processor would have been nice...but not absolutely necessary.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    thefoxthefox Posts: 11member
    I play Starcraft. Over and over.

And browse these boards for rumors.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    After reading this thread I've been thinking it over and this is what my options turnout (with HE discounts):

Dual 2.5Ghz G5 with 9800XT 256MB, 1Gig Ram, Bluetooth and Airport Express = £2,250

OR

Dual 2 Ghz G5 with 9800XT 256MB, 1Gig Ram, Bluetooth and Airport Express = a little less than £2,000

+

iPod 15/20 gig

Taking the total to the same cost as a Dual 2.5...

I will be going with the Dual 2 + iPod now..makes alot more sense...
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Well, I have a slightly different perspective. I am a potential switcher from PC -> Mac. Reason for doing so, is that Linux and FreeBSD et al are not (yet?) up to the usability of commercial OS's. I'm getting older and am tiring of the need to carefully select hardware that my OS of choise can use. Recently I've switched back to WinXP to meet the other needs of my family (kids == games).

So, I love unix-like OSs, want commercial quality and support. Sounds like OS X to me.

My problem is that switching to a Mac is an expensive proposition. I don't want to do it unless I am completely sure that Apple (which occupies a minority position in the market) have a long-term viable product, that is capable of competing over time with current PC hardware. So, for me to take the plunge, Apple need to compete performance and OS - wise with PCs for a period over time. I see G5 (and rumoured future hardware) as a new beginning for apple and really want it to succeed. I guess that this sentiment applies to both software and hardware for the platform.

My decision window is rather narrow - I have to return to Australia in a couple of years, where the cost of a Mac is not $3000 - $3500 US, but $AUD7000+ - a cost I cannot justify, when I can build a competent PC for a fraction of that cost.

So, I'm hoping that over the next little while, Apple can convince me to make the jump...

Brendon
  • Reply 20 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I'l be using my dual 2.5 powermac for video editing, motion graphics, graphic design, dvd authoring, music creation (background tracks for video), and even a little 3D. And I didnt complain one bit about the revs.

edit: this is all for work, not just fun)