"Trek" fans, come in please...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Alternate not-enough-coffee-yet theory:

TOS: Hotties to chase in the best episodes, from Mudd's Women, through Yeoman Rand, from Orion Slave Girls in the Cage, to Elizabeth Taylor in City on the Edge of Forever, to Television's first interracial kiss between Kirk and Urura.

TNG: Many of the best episodes featured flirtatious actions, from Tasha and Data in season one, through holodeck dating, from those who loved Marina Sirtis, to others who preferred Riker's women.

DS9: Kira never did it for me (too much Celine Dion), but Jadzia added a lot of spice as the seasons progressed. Nog gave hope to unattractive dudes everywhere by winning a Dabbo girl. Ezri Dax was a step down from Jadzia, IMO, but she had a little elfin appeal.

VOY: Most would agree the series took off in season two, roughly when Kes was replaced with everyone's favourite Borg in a spandex corset. Harry and Tom managed to fill the Holodeck and their alien encounters with tasty space girls, including Torres, but sex appeal changed the pace of the show.

Enterprise: Trip is either pregnant by alien women or massaging the hottest vulcan in three quadrants. Plenty of decontamination shower scenes and pleasure planet visits compared to the previous series.

While these are admittedly all small sub-plots next to the supposed prime directive as a Sci-Fi show, I submit that by some interpretations, Star Trek's market success might be swayed by the women characters, their writing and casting.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Enterprise: Trip is either pregnant by alien women or massaging the hottest vulcan in three quadrants. Plenty of decontamination shower scenes and pleasure planet visits compared to the previous series.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Haven't watched since the first season ehh?

We could talk about Tasha Yar's trip to africa in the first year of TNG............

Or maybe we could talk about the stiff acting or Troy's ridiclous hair style.

I always think about women when I first wake up also.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    I'm a regular fan of Enterprise and have enjoyed the Xindi story arc.

I suppose I was oversimplifying and exaggerating for effect.

But I will admit that Coffee with T'Pol sounds like a perfect morning to me.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

I'm a regular fan of Enterprise and have enjoyed the Xindi story arc.

I suppose I was oversimplifying and exaggerating for effect.

But I will admit that Coffee with T'Pol sounds like a perfect morning to me.

I know!
  • Reply 24 of 55
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Well I did not see the Voyager serie.

TSO : Well it was the original one. It was so kitch, so funny. Kirk the heartbroker, Spock trying to hide any emotion like crazy, Bones trying to keep in Check Spock, Scotty repairing everything with only one tool in a glance, Tchekov claiming that every discovery came from Russia ...

TNG : some good episodes, I like Picard and Data acting. Q is a bozo, and let's say a joke, but it was very funny. Anyway, that 's not my prefered.

DS9 : the most exciting for me, with a lot of suspense and a continuity in the story. I really loved this one.

Enterprise : humans are weak, and this one, and they have to struggle hard for life. T pol is cute, and give me nasty idears ..;
  • Reply 25 of 55
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Facial hair is the rule of thumb. Cisco got it and DS9 started heating up. Riker got it and TNG was THE show. Can somebody photoshop an Archer with a goatee?

Wouldn't he then be mirror universe evil Archer?
  • Reply 26 of 55
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Wouldn't he then be mirror universe evil Archer?

• Reply 27 of 55
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Garak: That's a little graphic for children, wouldn't you say?

Bashir: But the point is; if you lie all the time nobody's going to believe you, even when you're telling the truth.

Garak: Are you sure that's the point, doctor?

Bashir: Of course. What else could it be?

Garak: That you should never tell the same lie twice.

- Garak, responding to the parable about the boy who cried wolf.

By the way, Andrew J. Robinson, the man to plays Garak, has directed several DS9 and Voyager episodes. They are said to be the best.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Facial hair is the rule of thumb. Cisco got it and DS9 started heating up. Riker got it and TNG was THE show. Can somebody photoshop an Archer with a goatee?

Ew I just pictured Janeway with facial hair.

Anyone know anything about the next movie? Up till Nemesis the movies were awesome, at least the even ones, as every Trekkie knows that rule of thumb.

Oh and one more thing...A fiddler, on a roof...

Khan!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 29 of 55
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Khan!!!!!!!!!

Khan?
  • Reply 30 of 55
    I'm a hopeless trek fan, but I have to say that B5 was just amazing. Hard to beleive that such a quality series was ever made.

TNG and DS9 were also great, especially when they hit their stride in the last years.

Voyager had a few good moments, but they kept on softening all the good characters. Belana (spelling?) had such a good start and then was utterly diminished. Maybe it was her real world preganancy that got in the way of the character development. The doctor and seven of nine were great.

I'm enjoying Voyager, with the sole complaint that I don't like Archer. Way too much overacting. He is way to immature to be the captain of such an important vessel. It makes zero sense. The greatest vessel ever built by humanity and they put someone with the emotional restraint of a 16-year old in charge. They needed a Picard or Sisko, Hell even Janeway would have been more believable. I guess they were trying to make Kirk look wise in comparison. This is supposed to be the learning years for the Federation.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

There are four lights.

One of the best Trek episodes ever - in any time, space or universe.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Agreed.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Daver that's awesome!
  • Reply 35 of 55
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

You guys do realize this is a Trek-ified version of a scene in George Orwell 1984?

O'Brien torturing Winston?
  • Reply 36 of 55
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

You guys do realize this is a Trek-ified version of a scene in George Orwell 1984?

O'Brien torturing Winston?

To be honest, it's been years since I read 1984, and I never connected the two.

But it remains one of the few trek episodes where the script, acting and direction converge to produce a brilliant story.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

To be honest, it's been years since I read 1984, and I never connected the two.

But it remains one of the few trek episodes where the script, acting and direction converge to produce a brilliant story.

The two outcomes are quite different too. I didn't mean to imply that the Star Trek episode was merely a direct adaptation (or rip-off). But the parallels are too striking...it must be a homage.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

By the way, Andrew J. Robinson, the man to plays Garak, has directed several DS9 and Voyager episodes. They are said to be the best.

Jonathan frakes(Riker) has directed a bunch of DS9 episodes too, but I've only seen one, and it wasn't THAT great.\
  • Reply 39 of 55
    for the first two seasons of TNG I really really wished that Wesely would just drop dead, all of his lines sucked, and he had to wear that idiotic uniform with the rainbow stripes. but in the 3 - 7th seasons I don't mind him. I only have one other problem with TNG and that is sometime Piccard is just a little bit tooo smart and it kind of gets on my nerves a little bit. Other than that, the show is genious. My favorite episode is definently "Who watches the watchers" on the 5th season (or was it 3rd?) were they transport a person from a tribe on a different planet and revive him, leading him to beleive that the Piccard is almighty and a god. It has some very good points to it.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    I really have tried to give "Enterprise" a chance. It's as if just when a particular episode may prove to be interesting and entertaining, the writers shoot themselves in the foot.

Case in point, the episode not too long ago where they run into thier "alternate" offspring when going through the wormhole. I mean, come on. They could have done SO much with that episode. Yet it came off as flat as a corn tortilla. Like you run into your "future" kids all the time...

What happened to the MACOS? That was an interesting idea that went pfft.

The sexy Vulcan babe is more confused than Spock ever was. Did I miss something? Does she have human blood?

Lastly, because I have some involvement with folks in the entertainment biz, I hear and see this situation first hand. You have a bunch of "suits" who call the shots behind the scenes. These "suits" have NO artistic creative ability at all. They are lawyer/accountant/business manger mentalities. They have decided that the bridge crew must be the ones to go on "away" missions. Because they KNOW, that the viewing audience expects that. Despite the fact in the future, like now, you don't send the Captain on away missions.

Ah well, just once I'd like to see a quality sci-fi show break that convention.