Mac OS X 10.4 ? Tiger Wishlist

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 65
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pfflam

    3 - Also, a keyboard/mouse combo for Dock Hide and show . . . gets in the way when I don't want it to show . . . sick of opening apps when I'm just trying to resize a window.



    Aside from option-command-d?



    You know that if you click and hold on the icon in the Dock for an app that is opening, you can safely choose Force Quit and quit it without waiting for it to complete launching?
  • Reply 42 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pfflam

    [B]! - Id like it if you could drag a folder on top of a folder with the same name and have it merely update rather than rewrite all the content.



    (there must be a simple app for that: anybody know?)



    2 - I also would like the Finder to be re-organized so that none of the system files showed, no Library etc, unless you went in search of those files . . . easier for newbies to figure out the file system (option for music, pictures, documents folders rather than give em upfront)



    That's what that nice Home button in the Sidebar is for. An easy way to do this is to go to the Finder Preferences, and in the Sidebar turn off the Hard Drive and Computer items. Leave CD on, turn off Network. Looks awfully a lot like what you're asking for... no reorganization needed.



    Quote:

    3 - Also, a keyboard/mouse combo for Dock Hide and show . . . gets in the way when I don't want it to show . . . sick of opening apps when I'm just trying to resize a window.



    Apple Menu -> Dock -> Turn Hiding On/Off. The provided command key, right there in the menu, is Cmd-opt-D.



    See? A lot of it's already there.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Arnel

    1) On the desktop, new files appear on the left by default, leaving the right free for drives. This way you'll always know where CDs and iPods will appear, without them appearing in random gaps amongst the files.





    Might I suggest you keep your desktop icons arranged by kind. All your drives will appear in the upper right followed by files.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    I'd like to see an improvement in the audio duplexing for iChat AV. Every time I use the audio function, I have to plug in headphones as well as whomever I'm talking to. Otherwise the feedback loops make talking nearly impossible.



    The iSight video component works wonderfully. I just wish the audio could match it.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Tighter icon spacing on the desktop ... PLEASE!!!



    I would like there to be an option to adjust the spacing of icons. I don't really care if some the files with long names start to run into each other. I just don't want each icon placed three inches apart.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    In addition, I would like a better menu bar implementation for the clock, displays, and sound bits, (on the right hand side), as now they behave strangely ? not quite like a normal menu.



    I'm sure they'll think of something good, if at all...



    Also, I'd like the "new" Finder to support non-brushed metal as an equal citizen, unlike Panther, purely because the metal Finder is getting on my nerves a bit, (it seems to render and animate slower than Aqua), even though I liked it when it first came out. Besides the Finder shouldn't really be metal, anyway...



    My $0.02. m.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    A management tool for the services menu is much needed.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    In addition, I would like a better menu bar implementation for the clock, displays, and sound bits, (on the right hand side), as now they behave strangely ? not quite like a normal menu.



    I'm sure they'll think of something good, if at all...



    Also, I'd like the "new" Finder to support non-brushed metal as an equal citizen, unlike Panther, purely because the metal Finder is getting on my nerves a bit, (it seems to render and animate slower than Aqua), even though I liked it when it first came out. Besides the Finder shouldn't really be metal, anyway...



    My $0.02. m.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    curmicurmi Posts: 69member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JBL

    Might I suggest you keep your desktop icons arranged by kind. All your drives will appear in the upper right followed by files.



    If you do this, you can't arrange the desktop the way you like - it is just one big flow - right to left. That isn't what is being suggested here.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    That's what that nice Home button in the Sidebar is for. An easy way to do this is to go to the Finder Preferences, and in the Sidebar turn off the Hard Drive and Computer items. Leave CD on, turn off Network. Looks awfully a lot like what you're asking for... no reorganization needed.







    Apple Menu -> Dock -> Turn Hiding On/Off. The provided command key, right there in the menu, is Cmd-opt-D.



    See? A lot of it's already there.




    I know about the first option . . .I merely want it to be that way first ting . . . I have talked to too many people who tried OS X first thing and got too confused to stay with it. It's merely a suggestion



    Th Command-Option-D ting merely puts the Dock open . . . I want the option to have it hidden and with a single button and mouse move have it show itself . . . I know that I can do it the hard way with actions etc and someday I will . . . just a thought though.



    But what about this folder-content thing: I would really like an easy way of updating file-contents without overiding the whole file or tediously sifting through to see what content is new . . . any ideas besides Folder Compare?

    Anything in the OS that does this that I don't know about?

    Any other progz?
  • Reply 51 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pfflam

    Th Command-Option-D ting merely puts the Dock open . . . I want the option to have it hidden and with a single button and mouse move have it show itself . . . I know that I can do it the hard way with actions etc and someday I will . . . just a thought though.



    Have you *tried* it? Really?



    Cmd-Opt-D to hide it. Put your mouse over it, it appears. Move your mouse away, it hides again.



    Quote:

    But what about this folder-content thing: I would really like an easy way of updating file-contents without overiding the whole file or tediously sifting through to see what content is new . . . any ideas besides Folder Compare?

    Anything in the OS that does this that I don't know about?

    Any other progz?




    Install the Developer tools and use the FileMerge application.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by curmi

    If you do this, you can't arrange the desktop the way you like - it is just one big flow - right to left. That isn't what is being suggested here.



    I realize it wasn't the exact feature Arnel was asking for; however it achieves the goal he mentioned. It seems to me that, under Arnel's proposal, if you don't leave your files in the "default" positions then you will run into problems with your drives getting mixed up with your files anyway, and if you do leave them in their default positions, you might as well use Apple's arrange by kind feature.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    curmicurmi Posts: 69member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JBL

    I realize it wasn't the exact feature Arnel was asking for; however it achieves the goal he mentioned. It seems to me that, under Arnel's proposal, if you don't leave your files in the "default" positions then you will run into problems with your drives getting mixed up with your files anyway, and if you do leave them in their default positions, you might as well use Apple's arrange by kind feature.



    I think you might be confused. The drives would only get mixed up if you moved files on to the right of the screen where drives are appearing. So the problem really only occurs if you have so many files that they fill the screen - and that is already a problem in OS X today.



    I wrote something about this idea some time ago (and many other ideas):



    http://homepage.mac.com/curmi/what/#thedesktop



    My suggestion was to put the drives on the left to match the side bar in finder windows, but I can't see why it couldn't be an option to have them on the right.



    Other ideas for improving OS X are there to for those who haven't read this before:



    http://homepage.mac.com/curmi/what
  • Reply 54 of 65
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JBL

    ...you might as well use Apple's arrange by kind feature.



    Yep, that's close enough to what I was after - thanks for the tip!



    Cheers,



    Neil.

    a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Some of those suggestions are nice, like the icon selection border one. I like the Aqua Finder mock up also, but I still think the sidebar is quirky, and can be improved a lot.



    Apple, I know you read this BB... m. :P
  • Reply 56 of 65
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    iPhoto library should move to where it belongs: ~/LIBRARY

    There should be no easy access to folders, which inherently tied to one

    app, in order to operate correctly.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    curmicurmi Posts: 69member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Vox Barbara

    iPhoto library should move to where it belongs: ~/LIBRARY





    But in that folder ("Pictures") there are your pictures - just not in an easy to access format. Dig enough in the sub-folders and they are there though.



    So I'm not really sure it should be in ~/Library. Your iTunes are also not in ~/Library, but in "Music" - and I think that was a good move from where they used to be when Apple first brought out iTunes on OS X.



    iPhoto itself has an awful folder based database that it uses though which really should go. But that's another matter.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by curmi

    But in that folder ("Pictures") there are your pictures - just not in an easy to access format. Dig enough in the sub-folders and they are there though.





    Either iPhoto should separate its whole content (pictures into pictures folder with easy to access via finder too AND database stuff into ~/library folder) or - i stay steadily standfast in that question - the entire iPhoto library has to move into the ~/library folder. So, while apple obviously does not intend to give easy Finder access to pictures, that are organized by iPhoto, the purpose of that iPhoto library folder inside the picture folder is questionable at least.



    Digging in the subfolders, in order to get access to one particular photo is not very mac-like. And simply doesn't make sense too.



    Newbees pretty often ask, "where does the OS stores all the pictures, which iPhoto just imported? Can i open them with photoshop?" And then the digging starts Because iPhoto is not that intuitive when it comes to to save/export/open with...



    Quote:

    So I'm not really sure it should be in ~/Library. Your iTunes are also not in ~/Library, but in "Music" - and I think that was a good move from where they used to be when Apple first brought out iTunes on OS X.



    Same as above just change iPhoto to iTunes



    Quote:

    iPhoto itself has an awful folder based database that it uses though which really should go. But that's another matter.



    Absolutely. That is what i mean
  • Reply 59 of 65
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    Have you *tried* it? Really?



    Cmd-Opt-D to hide it. Put your mouse over it, it appears. Move your mouse away, it hides again.







    Install the Developer tools and use the FileMerge application.




    Of course . . . I use the damn hide Dock feature all the time . . . the problem is that when I want to move something to the left of the screen the Dock flies open and I click on a [rgram unstread . . .



    I am simply asking for a feature that keeps it hidden but with a single button (not a combo of three) and the mouse rollover you get it to reveal.



    as for the Developer tool thingy . . . I'll check it out thanx
  • Reply 60 of 65
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Vox Barbara

    Digging in the subfolders, in order to get access to one particular photo is not very mac-like. And simply doesn't make sense too.



    On the other hand, Apple could just make the iPhoto library a black box. Yes, it's messy when you enter it through the Finder, but isn't the point of an iPhoto library to access it through iPhoto?



    I would say that the idea is a bit perverse, but then you get into Photoshop and the confusion sets in. Maybe iPhoto should just recognize layered PSD files when they're created. I suppose that's the problem, isn't it? People will create a .psd file from a jpeg and naturally will want to keep the layered file. But saving and retrieving them from inside the iPhoto directory is certainly weird right now.
Sign In or Register to comment.