What is your BMI?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'm 5'10", 195lbs, so that's a 28.0. Almost obese? Puhleeze.

These things are a joke. I'd have to be 155 freaking pounds to be a 22.2, right in the middle of "normal weight". There is no way I could lose 40 pounds without losing about 15 pounds of muscle, and I don't consider myself extremely muscular.

I'm actually planning on getting back into a workout regimen after my little golf holiday at the end of the month (a bit of golfing to go with 4 days of drinking and eating )... and I figured I could get down to about 180 without going too Nazi on myself. The absolute lowest I would want to get to is 175.

Even at 175 pounds I'd have a BMI of 25.1, putting me in the overweight category.

Bullshit.

EDIT: If I dropped 66 pounds, which would require bed rest so that my legs, chest, and shoulders could atrophy, and got down to the skeletal weight of 129 pounds (remember, at 5'10"), I'd be super dooper healthy, because my BMI would be 18.5, right in the Normal Weight category!

Time for a tummy tuck and a 4 month nap. Later guys!
  • Reply 42 of 52
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Well, at least I don't feel so short anymore...
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Yeah, I'm young....

I'm 5' 3" and I'm 90-95 pounds. I used to be a fat little child, but now I'm really skinny. Hmm

(Oh yeah, I'm 15-16.5 BMI)
  • Reply 44 of 52
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I'm 5'10", 195lbs, so that's a 28.0. Almost obese? Puhleeze.

These things are a joke. I'd have to be 155 freaking pounds to be a 22.2, right in the middle of "normal weight". There is no way I could lose 40 pounds without losing about 15 pounds of muscle, and I don't consider myself extremely muscular.

I'm actually planning on getting back into a workout regimen after my little golf holiday at the end of the month (a bit of golfing to go with 4 days of drinking and eating )... and I figured I could get down to about 180 without going too Nazi on myself. The absolute lowest I would want to get to is 175.

Even at 175 pounds I'd have a BMI of 25.1, putting me in the overweight category.

Bullshit.

EDIT: If I dropped 66 pounds, which would require bed rest so that my legs, chest, and shoulders could atrophy, and got down to the skeletal weight of 129 pounds (remember, at 5'10"), I'd be super dooper healthy, because my BMI would be 18.5, right in the Normal Weight category!

Time for a tummy tuck and a 4 month nap. Later guys!

I weighed 175 lbs in 10th grade. I can't recall a time when I was much below 165, maybe early middle school or something like that.

Nick
  • Reply 45 of 52
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

I realize BMI is supposed to be used by the consumer as a simple method to determine one's level of 'health' with the minimal measuring equipment but its usefulness seems to limited. The real downside is the system doesn't account for the true physical health of each individual...

Amen to that. I am at 28.1

Edit: LOL @ Murbot. You might end up being an overweight skeleton.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    < 18.5
  • Reply 47 of 52
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

BMI is a load of crap because it doesn't factor in body fat. Just because someone's BMI says they're "overweight" doesn't mean they're obese or unhealthy. According to BMI, all bodybuilders and a lot of professional athletes are "overweight."

true.

when the measuring happesn from body fat instead, bodybuilders and other athletes are thin, as they can be big, weight a lot - but have an unhealthily low body fat percentage. so a body builder woman weights more than a non-body builder woman, but has less fat than her.

and when measuring body fat instead, most top models and anorexics would qualify as obese, their body fat reaching easily 30 %. (when muscles are eaten from the body, you have just bone, skin, and fat. and when you put on weight or get back a bit of health, it is fat unless you do insanely lot of sport). so a thin woman can be obese, and a lot bigger can be thinner. a female body builder or dancer instead can range to 4 - 8 % body fat, when an average woman often has like 20-25 % or more.

other interesting things are body shape and scale. some have big bones. some have really small ones. my wrist around is 14,5 cm (and i'm 5'9") making me able to wear basically child watches or no watches, never bracelets etc. if you add the aesthetical point of view, my arms would look giant if i had a bmi of say 22. small bones, small muscles, and not a lot of body fat .. whereas most of my relatives (incl. mum and sister) have bigger bones, bigger muscles, and the tendency to have a rounder shape (apple). so my cousin and i can both be at the healthy weight naturally being as heavy or light, when she is 5'4" ..
  • Reply 48 of 52
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Since everyone is bashing BMI...

There is an empirical relationship between BMI and health. When you get over that 25, the larger your BMI, the worse your health. It's that simple - it's not a plot to make people feel bad or something, it's just what they've found to be true.

Also, there's an extremely high correlation between BMI and % body fat. People always say "but what about body builders?" OK. But how many body builders are there really? The other easy thing to do is look at BMI along with waist size. If your BMI is 30 and your waist is 40 inches, you ain't no body builder.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Agreed on the waist line measurement. So lets come up with a better way to measure overweight. Maybe measure your chest size, your waistline, height, etc. and then figure in the body weight. Just putting together a formula assuming a text book frame size doesn't mean much. That and the fact that so many companies over hype BMI to sell their worthless products is sufficient to make people wary of it.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Since everyone is bashing BMI...

There is an empirical relationship between BMI and health. When you get over that 25, the larger your BMI, the worse your health. It's that simple - it's not a plot to make people feel bad or something, it's just what they've found to be true.

Also, there's an extremely high correlation between BMI and % body fat. People always say "but what about body builders?" OK. But how many body builders are there really? The other easy thing to do is look at BMI along with waist size. If your BMI is 30 and your waist is 40 inches, you ain't no body builder.

While that may be true in a general sense it simply isn't in others. I've grown up with men who were heavily indian/mexican. I've seen them be 5'8" weigh 230 lbs. Have a 36-40 inch waist and a 50+ inch chest. However they could also bench 200+ pounds and squat almost 500+ pounds without even having lifted a weight in their life.

I'll use myself as an example. I have a 36 inch waiste. But I have a 43 inch chest. I've stood right next to people who are exactly my height who have been measured to have a higher body fat percentage than me and I weight almost 40 lbs more than them.

I would say BMI probably has about a 60% correlation.

Nick
  • Reply 51 of 52
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member

Brussel is right, the BMI is not perfect, but It's a good wealth indicator.

I am overweight, I know it, and it's true. No need to find an excuse. I don't care really that much, but i will not pretend that BMI is meaningless.

The BMI index, is one of the favorite indicator of the health insurances. There is sure some exceptions, but I am surprise to see that on AI, everyone is an exception