Is Tiger going to be a boring update?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

Apple does have a real reason to do it, which is to keep a customer happy. Apple already includes other open source free software as part of OSX, so it wouldn't be unprecedented to start including KDE.

The benefit I see in KDE is being able to run the exact same free GUI apps on all my computers, which currently include a couple of X86 LINUX ones and a couple of Apple OSX ones (G3 and G5). I think large corporate users with a mix of X86 and Apple hardware would also see the benefit of a well behaved KDE on OSX, so it isn't just me that Apple would be pleasing.

Of course, I would prefer to run OSX instead of LINUX on my X86 machines, but that would be asking too much, wouldn't it?

X11 is included with Panther. Simply download Fink. You will find KDE, GNOME, and various open source apps. You don't have to run anything full screen; X11 apps run in little windows and can even be minimized to the Dock.
  • Reply 82 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by afterhours

Mine also goes back 6 days... but I believe I've had it go back even further. This is version 1.2.2. Perhaps there is a haxie to let you adjust this (Apple's big internet goof is requiring Safari or Mail to dictate what default internet app launches... an OS 9 feature needed in the system prefs if ever there was one).

10.2 had a default browser adjustment in System Prefs. 10.3 does not. MisFox has one.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Synotic

For what it's worth, almost all web pages out there have dependencies, there is rarely ever "one file". If there was then you can save it using Safari. Except for the simplest sites, anything but a proprietary file format would be a pain to deal with. What about dynamic pages? How do you save those? The ones that have dynamically generated images that simply don't exist anywhere in the site structure. But ignoring that, even if Safari saved the entire site as a folder, the actual page you would want would be nested deep within several folders anyways. It would simply be too messy to "save it as it is".

Regardless, I would like the option to save a page in a more usable format. Perhaps Apple can save a page in IE's format or its own more open format.

Take a look at IE for Window's solution... it has a folder containing everythiing but the main page, then puts the main page as a second file next to the folder. It works, somehow. And other browsers work with it too, I think.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/safari.html

With less than 10% of Tiger's features revealed, it looks like the answer to the question posed in the thread title is: No.

I find some of Apple's decisions puzzling, but by and large this looks like a kick-ass update.

What decisions. I'm curious.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by afterhours

I was a late adopter of Panther -- got to say it seems far more stable at 10.3.4 than 10.2.8 felt. I'm not saying it is a must, but I feel it is yards better than 10.2 was (particularly Mail -- 'though I think I'll move up to Mailsmith shortly just to have a better interface.

Personal preference, perhaps, but clearly Panther has been worth the $ to me and my clients.

OK, I relented and shelled out the bucks for the black box ... and after a week's use, I have to agree that the investment was worth it.
  • Reply 86 of 86
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

What decisions. I'm curious.

The "decisions" were related to what looked like arbitrary borrowing from Konfabulator at the time. I've since learned that they make sense, and so I've withdrawn my objections.