2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JordanEatWorld

what do you mean by 'in pairs'?

-Jordan

It means that if you want an extra 512MB of RAM, you'll have to add two 256MB DIMMs. Ideally, the should be two of the same model from the same vendor. This has something to do with each processor getting it's own bus, but I don't know the details.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    I've heard from my reseller that the G5's are amongst the most sensitive to needing quality RAM that he's seen for quite some time. I'm not sure that he's right, but given the high frequencies, design tolerances may be all the tighter. \

FWIW, I faced the same decision as you, and I landed on the 1.8. Looking forward to it arriving on Thursday!!!
  • Reply 23 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CodeWarrior

You said the magic word: Student. Check out the Apple Student discount. Or you can look at the refurbs.

I'd go with a refurb 1.8 ($1799 when they have some) or new 1.8 ($1799 student) and save the cash.

usually the student costs more than a reseller who doesnt charge tax dependig on were you live
  • Reply 24 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Apple uses Crucial RAM itself, if that's any help.

The need to install RAM in pairs comes from the fact that RAM is dual-channel. You can think of it like a two-disk RAID for memory; it's capable of hugely increasing (not quite doubling) memory throughput. But it means that both RAM channels have to be identically configured, so if you want to add RAM you have to add two identical sticks to the same slots in each channel.