Doctors going bare - Affordable Health Care

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    In my humble opinion, the whole society is responsible of the increase of trials and lawsuit in our societies.

This is one of the big problems of our occidental societies.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Different topic.

Take a guess at how much it cost to take a new medical device through FDA approval? One I'm working with now implants a little radio beacon in someone so that it can be located and positioned and/or tracked in real time.

Any guesses?
  • Reply 23 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Different topic.

Take a guess at how much it cost to take a new medical device through FDA approval? One I'm working with now implants a little radio beacon in someone so that it can be located and positioned and/or tracked in real time.

Any guesses?

You pointed it out, an important point, the real reason why medecine is becoming more and more expansive.

In the nineteen century, medecine was cheap, biology, was barely limited to testing blood and urine, watching the feces, blood sucking and lavements ...

At this time medecine was quite innefective, but not very expansive.

Now came, the time of nuclera physics, IRM, ultrasounds, robots ...

All this things has an increasing cost (remember 30 years ago, there was not echographia, no CT scan, no IRM, no Pet scan, no digital angiographia ...)

Add the cost of safety : fire proof hospitals, the struggle against nosocomial infection, the respect of privacy, the struggle against pain, the increase of the age of the population ... and you will understand why medecine is more and more expansive.

Medecine is victim of his sucess, and lead to a paradox demonstrated by the french philosopher Serres (who is professor in an US university) : in the early twenteen century, the doctors where respected like god, but cured nothing, nowdays, medecine cure almost everything, but doctors are not anymore respected.

This is a strange paradox.

See you later, now I must do my job