just got a great deal on a powerbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Watch out, dude. . . . This is a ripe case of fraud waiting to happen. . . Has all the signs. I hope that this is not the case.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    how?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by djmb

how?

honestly who is going to sell a 3000$ pwr book at a price lower than education bulk? and who other than scammers go to the trouble of setting u p one of those retarded borders.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I agree.. there are so many new scams pop out these days... hope this one IS legit.

But how come the price is that low.. I meant.. too good to be true for a new machine.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    i emailed someone who bought the same powerbook from the same seller, heres what he said

"Nothing wrong with him or the powerbook. Get it while you can or you will be sorry. True, they are going for $2800 retail. However, this is the wonderful thing about ebay is that you can find them cheaper. Furthermore, he does ship. The powerbook will come brand new sealed in the box. At the price of $2200, I am keeping my mouth shut as long as I got what I paid for. Hope this helps. Also, if you send the payment quickly, he will overnight the system to you. Can't ask for customer service better than that."

also, in the auction it says the part No. and i checked on apple, and the same part number is the 17' 1.5ghz, only 4200rpm hard drive though. but i guess thats the only drawback

id ont think its a scam, theres no way he can scam since he gave all the info on the auction, esp the part no. and its factory sealed, so if the box is empty or some crap like that.. then the authorities come into play
  • Reply 6 of 32
    this on the other hand. is definetely a scam

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...103713137&rd=1

hahahaa, 1.66ghz, and the pictures are of a 12''
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Why it looks like a scam:

1) How did it go for 2200? Obviously, some people were leery.

2) user has 11 sales. That's the best amount for a scam. Sales may have been to friends, or the account may well have been hijacked.

3) Maybe the powerbooks are stolen.

Anyway, you have to be very cautious on eBay when buying "new-in-box" mac hardware. A lot of people have gotten ripped off.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    it was a 1 day auction that ended at 11am, thats why (i think) the price is too low

and the guy i emailed who bought a powerbook off the seller, has alot of feedback, and told me.. well i already posted waht he said

i really dont think theres anyway for me to get scammed, there sjust too much information given in the auction that would suggest otherwise

and if i do get scammed, im definetely getting my money back

and then some

• Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

it was a 1 day auction. . .

I have a lot of faith that man is inherently good, but there are just so many red flags here. In any case, I really hope this is for real. Have you already paid?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    no not yet, im waitin for an email response. he lives an hour away from me i asked if i can pick up the laptop, i have all his information.. his name, address, and telephone. i called he didnt pick up

i dont want to pay 50$ for shipping

since i know where he lives, another reason this isnt a scam( lets hope) ill keep u guys updated
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

no not yet, im waitin for an email response. he lives an hour away from me i asked if i can pick up the laptop, i have all his information.. his name, address, and telephone. i called he didnt pick up

i dont want to pay 50$ for shipping

since i know where he lives, another reason this isnt a scam( lets hope) ill keep u guys updated

heh. Picking it up yourself is a pretty sure way to weed out fraud.

I find this comment a little weird: "The best ever. Fast shipping. Item as described. Will buy from again. Thanks Zoe" Now, you say it's a guy, but Zoe is a woman's name. If you end up chatting with the person, and it's a chick named Zoe, then it seems like there's more cred.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    no i have no idea if the seller is a guy or girl, we havent talked on the phone, Zoe is a womans name though so i guess its a woman
  • Reply 13 of 32
    u guys know a good way to check if the powerbooks HD is 4200 or 5400 RPM once i receive it? not listed in description

neither is the videocard, if its radeon 9600 or 9700, doesnt say vid card memory either
  • Reply 14 of 32
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I know why it was so cheap ! look in the specs ! its only 2mhz fast!

Hope it works out for ya man, be careful.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Ask for the serial number, go to an Apple Store, they'll type it into their system, and get the lowdown on any history of repairs or if it has been reported stolen. You owe it to yourself to get this info before you hand over your hard earned. It could bite you in the end if you later need service repairs, and the Apple Store happens to have it entered as stolen in their computer system. Who knows if they would bother fixing it, let alone confiscate it, and by that time, that eBay dude has been long gone with your money.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

PAYPAL ONLY AND WILL SEND ITEM WILL BE SHIPPED LIGHTING FAST......

www.paypalwarning.com

good luck man...
  • Reply 17 of 32
    i can get the same thing pretty much but 15'' refurb from apple.com

not sure if i want 15' tho
  • Reply 18 of 32
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

"Nothing wrong with him or the powerbook. Get it while you can or you will be sorry. True, they are going for $2800 retail. However, this is the wonderful thing about ebay is that you can find them cheaper. Furthermore, he does ship. The powerbook will come brand new sealed in the box. At the price of $2200, I am keeping my mouth shut as long as I got what I paid for. Hope this helps. Also, if you send the payment quickly, he will overnight the system to you. Can't ask for customer service better than that."

Thats not a buyers response - thats a sales brochure.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    hahaah i just tried sending him the money through paypal

" This recipient is currently unable to receive money."

she emailed me this morning. she said "i ONLY SHIP UNLESS YOU PAY CASH IF YOU GOING TO PAY CASH YES I WILL LET YOU PICK UP. ITEM CALL ME AT 347-865-3100 OR REMIT PAYMENT AND I SEND OVERNIGHT....LET ME KNOW"

so basically. pay cash and pick up.. right. i was hopin to pay through credit card, thats her cell phone, so now i have that, her house phone and her address.

i called the cell no one picked up, i called the house some guy picked up i guess her son, he said she wont be home till around 7 or 8 pm shes at work

what do you guys think.. way too sketchy?

• Reply 20 of 32
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

what do you guys think.. way too sketchy?

Waaaaaaaaaay.

Scammers often offer to sell you the item for cash upon pickup, expecting that you won't take them up on it. If you're daring, arrange for a meeting with inspection and cash sale. My hunch is that they'll back out.

BTW: There's no guarantee that you have the right person's phone numbers or address. Fake addresses are part of a scammer's basic toolbag.

Escher