"A different AO subject" Romantic Picnic ideas..

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmm.....

He must be on his way by now. My suggestion would have been to sternly moderate her, and if she gets out of hand, lock her thread.

Girls love that, right?
  • Reply 22 of 40
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Hmmm.....

He must be on his way by now. My suggestion would have been to sternly moderate her, and if she gets out of hand, lock her thread.

Girls love that, right?

HA!
  • Reply 23 of 40
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Hmmm.....

Girls love that, right?

• Reply 24 of 40
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I suggest wearing two condoms in your everyday life. When you have sex, take one off. You'll feel like a wild man!

But seriously. Be yourself. Don't plot. CrazyChester (who is following you) and Nick are spot-on.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

CrazyChester (who is following you) and Nick are spot-on.

What exactly does that mean? Don't lump me in with him, thanks.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

What exactly does that mean? Don't lump me in with him, thanks.

I was making a joke based on what I have always assumed was the origin of your nickname:

Quote:

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.

He said, "I will fix your rack, if you'll take Jack, my dog."

I also thought that when Nick said this:

Quote:

Women are very different than men when assigning importance to memories. A certain sound, smell or sensation can become so important to them. A flower is passe. They also love things that can be recalled and thought of as special.

It was good advice.

I thought that when you said this:

Quote:

You open doors for her. Normal doors, you open, wait for her to go through, then wait for any other people to go through (especially if they're female because you respect all women right?) then you follow. Car doors you open, you wait until she's safely tucked inside then you close the car door. You help her on with her coat. You pull out her chair for her in restaurants and the like. You walk on the curbside of the sidewalk, always. If it's cold, you give her your jacket and freeze to death while she stays warm. You offer her your arm (bent elbow raised to about waist level, she slips her hand around your elbow, you tuck your arm into your side with her hand attached in a way that says without words that you will never, ever let her go, and you're away).

It was good advice.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    All this S&M talk is making me giddy.

Anyway, I forgot to add that, after the beer and chicken takes it course, there's no better finishing touch than to wrap it up with some WWF. Girls love that stuff.

On a serious note, one of my female friends from college was honestly into beer, barbecues, and WWF. Not a hottie, but not bad looking by any means, and not lesbo. If she weren't already going out with a pretty decent guy, I definitely would have given it a try. At the very least it would have been the easiest date ever.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    the weight
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Sorry midwinter. I found trumptman's little joke to be getting a little too close to overstepping the mark given I thought my quip at him was pretty obviously light-hearted especially as I was basically saying I agreed with him (hell I even included a smilie).

Anyway, apologies in case you thought you were close to getting your head bitten off. Because you were.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Where'd you get this from BTW

Quote:

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.

He said, "I will fix your rack, if you'll take Jack, my dog.

This came up in another thread a while back. That's always been what I thought the lyrics were but most of the lyrics sites says it's "rag" not "rack" and I think there was one that said "rat".

Yes the name is from The Weight.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Where'd you get this from BTW

This came up in another thread a while back. That's always been what I thought the lyrics were but most of the lyrics sites says it's "rag" not "rack" and I think there was one that said "rat".

Yes the name is from The Weight.

I've always assumed that the lyric was "rack" (as in, either some kind of structure or some piece of machinery) since Chester is saying that he'll "fix" it. Of course, Chester might mean "fix" as in "prepare" which means who the hell knows what the line means, since a "rag" might mean his "bag." That is...it might mean "If you'll take my dog with you, I'll get you all set to travel."
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

I've always assumed that the lyric was "rack" (as in, either some kind of structure or some piece of machinery) since Chester is saying that he'll "fix" it. Of course, Chester might mean "fix" as in "prepare" which means who the hell knows what the line means, since a "rag" might mean his "bag." That is...it might mean "If you'll take my dog with you, I'll get you all set to travel."

Now I don't know if you're being serious or pulling my leg. I have always assumed that verse had sexual connotations like the rest of the song but that I didn't completely get the allusions. And yes, there is lots of other imagery used (as was also discussed before IIRC) but the innuendo has always been pretty explicit I thought.

It is afterall called "The Weight".

"Take a load off fanny"

"What about young Anna Lee"

"My bag is sinking low"

I assumed any references to "bags" don't mean the kind that go in a cargo hold.

But maybe it's just me.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    I'm actually dead serious. Here's Robbie Robertson on the lyrics:

"In 'The Weight' it was this very simple thing. Someone says, 'Listen, would you do me this favour? When you get there will you say "hello"; to somebody or will you give somebody this or will you pick up one of these for me? Oh? You're going to Nazareth, that's where the Martin guitar factory is. Do me a favour when you're there.' This is what it's all about. So the guy goes and one thing leads to another and it's like 'Holy Shit, what's this turned into? I've only come here to say "hello" for somebody and I've got myself in this incredible predicament.'"

Here's a series of comments from Robbie and Levon on the meaning of the song:

Levon: "The song was full of our favorite characters. 'Luke' was Jimmy Ray Paulman (of The Hawks). 'Young Anna Lee' was Anna Lee Williams from Turkey Scratch. 'Crazy Chester' was a guy we all knew from Fayetteville who came into town on Saturdays wearing a full set of cap guns on his hips ... he was like Hopalong Cassidy and a friend of The Hawk's."

Source
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

"In 'The Weight' it was this very simple thing. Someone says, 'Listen, would you do me this favour? When you get there will you say "hello"; to somebody or will you give somebody this or will you pick up one of these for me? Oh? You're going to Nazareth, that's where the Martin guitar factory is. Do me a favour when you're there.' This is what it's all about. So the guy goes and one thing leads to another and it's like 'Holy Shit, what's this turned into? I've only come here to say "hello" for somebody and I've got myself in this incredible predicament.'"

Levon: "The song was full of our favorite characters. 'Luke' was Jimmy Ray Paulman (of The Hawks). 'Young Anna Lee' was Anna Lee Williams from Turkey Scratch. 'Crazy Chester' was a guy we all knew from Fayetteville who came into town on Saturdays wearing a full set of cap guns on his hips ... he was like Hopalong Cassidy and a friend of The Hawk's."

Source

Well I have to tell you, my interpretation was given to me by a friend who used to be a professional drummer. However, he would not be the least bit averse to feeding me a bunch of BS with the express purpose of getting me to make a fool of myself on an internet forum.

He will pay for this transgression very, very soon. But then he will be forgiven 'cause that's what lurv's all about.

On the other hand, The Band's explanation sounds like it could be a bit of a red herring in the way The Beatles used to go on about "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" coming from some picture one of their kids drew (or something like that I forget the exact story they used).
  • Reply 35 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Lean a little closer see that roses really smell like woo oo oo. Hey this thread is great, I just met a girl too that makes me feel different than any other. She's a few years younger than me but we're on the same page with everything it's great. I like her sense of humor and her crazy laugh, most of all though her smile, and her voice. It's the little things that bring people close. The quirks, the unexpected but pleasant surprises, etc. Best of luck to you, and I don't know how close you are to the ocean right now but one suggestion: beaches. They're so great. Not like that other thread about the sea monster... the ocean is not a bad place!!!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Source

Now you should know as well as anybody, that often the author is the last person to say what a work really means.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Now you should know as well as anybody, that often the author is the last person to say what a work really means.

Well, maybe not the last, but certainly no more credible than anyone else.

My point in all of this was simply that the narrator of the song describes himself as on a journey.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    So how did it go last night? We dodged the thunderstorms! I hope you had a good time! Give us an update.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

So how did it go last night? We dodged the thunderstorms! I hope you had a good time! Give us an update.

How did it go????

It went very very very very very nice

It is one of the nicest times I have had in some time

Fellows
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

How did it go????

It went very very very very very nice

It is one of the nicest times I have had in some time

Fellows

Why is it that I can hear BWAM chicka BWAHM BHWAM coming out of your post? How'd you do that?